[Accepted] Hesphos - Pewterisms

BYOND key: Hesphos

Character names: Frank Pewter, Maurice Williams, Jamal Griffin and Lawyer Bot 3000 

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: First time was years ago but recently came back because in my opinion Aurora has the least amount of negative experiences going for it compared to other places.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: To have access to more jobs and have more fun on the server.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Don't want to knock on any servers out there but Aurora has a combination of things that I like. Lower movement speed, people actually doing their jobs to a somewhat satisfactory standard, functional command members and staff that aren't huge power tripping morons.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: I mean, I'm illiterate so I had my mom read the wiki out loud for me. But yeah I'm aware of the contents on the wiki regarding the positions I want to occasionally play.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? Last one I remember was 1 or 2 years ago. It was a red alert and the Captain was already iced (murdered not cryod)  Some group attacked the station, mercs or something. Anyway we find one dude with a force axe and revolver chopping someone up outside of science and breaking the windows to get in aswell. He sees us, charges us and me and other officer I was with gunned him down with laser rifles and then 2 mins later I get a bwoink telling me that next time I should use stunbeams instead.

As I said, one or two years ago. I guess I was more blood thirsty then?

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each. 

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Don't think I need a paragraph for this but I suppose I'll indulge. It doesn't matter what platform you're on. Garry's mod, Forums, Byond or god forbid ww1 Roblox Trench RP. There is usually a setting and everyone tries to add their own little piece of the puzzle to that setting with their gameplay and character. Combine all of that together and you create environment where you can pretend to be someone and somewhere else.

Like walking through City 17 as Gordon before the uprising, you get a feeling you are there and it isn't any different on ss13. You get a feeling you work on a discount spacestation with a job that you don't really care for all that much and puts the average real life office coworker to shame at how awful your colleagues can be. But that's good in my opinion, I enjoy to wallow in that sadness and frustration because it makes my actual life seem less dreadful by comparison.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: Is this a trick question? I mean. Every corporation has bosses, middle management, HR and worse. You need someone that knows something about what their department does and make sure the will of the corporation is executed. 

You need someone to keep alien guest workers in line yet also you need to cool down racist temperament because otherwise your employees never stop bickering with eachother, you need someone to ensure your department doesn't fall apart and quota's are met. ICly and OOCly you need Heads with the current hierarchy otherwise newbies dont get trained, people fight eachother constantly and nobody can make a final call on issues.

But most importantly, they carry on the flow of a round to a successful failure/conclusion. 

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: I'm not whitelisted but I already do a few things that I think whitelisted people should be doing.  Usually if its a mechanical question regarding the game in LOOC or OOC instead of saying ''lol getgud read the wiki'' Aside from that though I don't think there are really all that many differences. People should uphold a good roleplay standard whitelisted or not and help each other out occasionally. Essentially not be a bunch of shitheads to eachother OOCly.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career? Well, in the eyes of my most played character the job on the station is just a job. He got sniped by Nanotrasen  in an effort to simply get more people on their payroll to compete with the other megacorps and to get a stronger foothold in the upstart Republic of Biesel. Pewter not being exceptional in any way there wasn't a strong effort on the side of the Alliance to keep his work contract and allowed him to leave for higher pay to work with Nanotrasen. Over the course of his work contract he became more and more supportive of the corporation yet holds on to his Solarian Citizenship for dear life as he fears that a Republican citizenship is worthless. He still vehemently votes on the Human Unity Party and still supports Frost, even though he is not at all happy about the coalition they made with the reform party, mostly because of their anti corporate stance.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted? Captain, Head of Security, Head of Personnel and maybe the Chief Medical Officer. Maybe...

Wait, was this line also meant to have a paragraph? uh... Sample text sample text sample text. Hey want to talk about fight club? Dont talk about fight club. The station needs more bees on it, can we maybe put some down in maintenance? Like a derelict hive random engineers can walk into? Ok what about instead of space carp we have space bees the size of a carp? Why are you so mean to me? aaaaaaaaaaa

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.: I'm not going to lie I had to read this sentence atleast 5 times before I understood what you meant.

Frank Pewter - Head of Security Already a created and established character. Aside from his awful smoking habit, weight problem and blissful ignorance on alien cultures and other aspects in life he is actually a decent officer. Supportive of Nanotrasen to a fault yet also looking for opportunities to line his own pockets with some extra cash. Thinks himself a good Christian whilst indulging in as many vices his poor organs can handle.

Jakob Goldsniff - Captain Not yet created, an extremely vain human that always flaunts his wealth and how many important people he ''knows'' and ''know'' him. Thinks everyone that makes less then him or isn't a command officer as unimportant and usually delegates the interaction with them through others. Usually his heads. Spends most of his time grooming his fancy clothes and neat hair whilst drinking mimosas on the bridge and ordering hapless assistants around to make himself feel important. The embodiment of a yes man towards Central, making sure their will gets executed by telling others to do so.

Robert DeVasher - Head of Personnel Not yet created, an extremely by the book bureaucrat. So much so you suspect him of writing it himself. Paperwork paperwork paperwork, if its not in writing its not binding they say. Extremely cowardly and willing to sell out anyone for his own personal safety. Is a huge bootlicker to anyone with authority such as Security, Heads of staff, the Captain and of course Central themselves. 

Jamal Griffin - Chief Medical Officer Not really all that established, I occasionally play him as a surgeon if I feel like doing something else. Laid back and friendly doctor that cares equally about his bedside manner and actual surgical skills. If I get the whitelist I will probably not even play CMO and just keep him as a surgeon.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: oof this is a spicy one. In my opinion there are too many people out there that make picture perfect chads as roleplay characters in a simulated environment where you can actually let loose your imagination.

A fat and lazy Tajaran Hop that snacks all day in the his office and the bar? Sure. A one armed Unathi Janitor that is deathly afraid of prosthesis? That sounds fun.  A cargotech in a wheelchair part of an equal opportunity employment scheme? You betcha. In my roleplay I usually try to take something of myself in real life, turn that up to 100 and see if that's fun. This also makes it easier for me to respond like the character would without it being a self insert.

Lets take Pewter for example, I'm pretty buff and work in a uniformed profession in real life yet Im a little overweight. So I take the weight and turn it up where fat spills over a belt... no, a belt is too plain. What about a fanny pack on green alert? Yeah that's funny and makes the game harder because the fannypack can only carry so much. Backpacks? They chafe so I don't carry them only when its absolutely needed. Lets tone his general intelligence down aswell. Not that he's dumb but just extremely ignorant. A splash of male pattern baldness, cheap aftershave, HORRIBLE clipon safety tie and viola.

Frank Pewter, a balding, overweight snacky officer that tries to do his best and constantly steps on landmines with Xeno's. A true United Americas Solarian.

I try to play characters as if they were real human beings with their faults and vices not held that much in check. Probably also the reason I don't think I can do aliens all that well as I try to put the human in humanity.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Yes, pls dont ban me. I don't have the time to make a 2nd go-animate video. *1

On a more serious note, I don't plan on getting into trouble with server staff. I cant say it wont happen ever but all in all I try to have fun and not ruin the fun of others. 

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles? Familiarize is missing a D there eh? eh? ehe? But yes, I did. I actually enjoyed reading parts of the Aurora wiki because its written in a funny and informative way. I even read the bits for the Chief Engineer and who in their sane mind would ever play a CE?

Extra notes:

I kinda only made this app because people told me I should and they liked my roleplay. So I dunno, just let this stew here for a while and accept or decline it. I don't mind it either way, I will just continue playing on the server regardless.

*1 video I made in 2015 something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SmWKY6HoU

Its cursed.

I've played just a handful rounds of sec as Erika Kondo, and in a department where players like to roleplay grizzled exmilitaries, strong silent types, etc, Pewter is a really welcome, funny, well-roleplayed character that worked as a very good foil to my aspiring by-the-book cadet character. The power dynamic in particular, combined with his character's complete lack of scruples was what made it a lot of fun, and the thought of Pewter as HoS makes me want to play sec more now that I've gone from cadet to officer.

+1

Hahah, Frank Pewter.

A delightful character and the player is no stranger to taking otherwise horrible gimmicks and placing a spin on them.

10/10 would pay a tilde to Raskara so I don't get murder-boned.

Really, though, the way you create characters is quite similar to how I do it and I have no doubt that you'll be able to drive excellent RP-narratives with this whitelist. 

I look forward to your trial!

+1

The pure humor of your application made me contemplate just giving you a plus one before I even got halfway down.
I just have to say, Pewter is a fantastic character with pro's and cons, and it makes him feel more like a three dimensional character, instead of a perfect god. I'm likely actually going to use some of those ideas to make more rounded characters.

As a cadet that's worked with him, and a forensic technician that threw him a birthday party, I feel I've interacted with him enough to say, He'd do great in command.

+1

Honestly yes. +1. Definitely.

You're hilarious mate. You play your characters to have fun and provide fun, not to ''win'' in any sense and that is rarer than it should be. As an example,  I've seen you force in Pewter's character traits even in the middle of combat to try and RP, rather than simply end the combat as quickly as possible. An easy story that comes to mind would be Pewter throwing donuts at a juggernaut in the middle of combat because that is what he had on hand. Many many others would have simply tried to robust or run, why bother trying to do something that has no ''use'' after all? Yet you do it, because, shit, looking at an overweight warden clearly out of his depth throwing donuts and using a megaphone to try and order this horrific juggernaut abomination to stand down is absolutely fun.

The only thing I'd want to leave you with aside from a +1 is some advice. Try not to take the memes too far, not everyone will appreciate them at all times, especially not coming from command staff. People do generally expect a degree of competency from command to maintain some realism. Honestly though my advice is very likely moot and you'll do fine regardless.

Good luck!

Edited by Worthy

Heck yeah, played sec with you quite a few times and you do take it seriously even if your banter is more on the comedic side. Consistent in RP, entertaining, and you've played on an off for a long time. I think you'd be a great HoS.

+1

10 hours ago, Shadow said:

Trial starts today and will end in a week, sorry for the late response.

Try to get as much feedback as possible regarding your command play.

It's all good.

Don't worry, I will activate my bot army and get as much feedback as possible.

A breath of fresh air to security management and the department overall, totally not because of rental coats. +1

spacer.png

Edited by Vulcenus
We're supposed to make another comment for feedback during the trial, right? Am I doing it right?

Played detective for Pewter. Didn't end up having much to do but I like the way he does things. Threats are still taken seriously, but he just brings a more interesting energy to the security department. Before it felt like every single security officer was some ex-military super badass sniper with a haunted past. I don't know if it's his example or what, but there's a lot more variety in the department. But they still follow his orders and bring shit to his attention.

In this round, some space bounty hunter guy, John Harper, ended up in the bar. He was wearing badass bounty hunter armor and had a spear. He just was drinking and waiting for the shuttle call, but Security kept getting reports about him. One officer was sent down and came back saying that he 'seems cool'. 

Pewter ordered me and another officer to check it out, we did, the bartender said there was no issue and the other officer reported that he 'Seemed cool' and walked off. I shrugged and went back to my office after reporting that I guess it wasn't an issue. Pewter asked about it and a bit and was like 'You know carrying a weapon like that is illegal, he should be fined and it should be confiscated.' The AI backed Pewter up, out of nowhere (late join AI) and said that it was absolutely in violation of regulations.

Pewter immediately flipped that around, going, 'Wha-Who's that? Is that the computer? Computer. Do not lecture my men on security procedures. They are highly trained and know hundreds of times more than you about how to do their jobs.' The computer acknowledged the instruction, but I just thought that was hilarious given it was fairly clear we do not know 'hundreds of times' more than the AI.

There was internal security discussion about what to do about the bounty hunter. A fine was suggested, but it was countered, the group agreeing he was probably too cool to pay a fine and probably has hundreds of unpaid space parking tickets. I lost track of how many times security used the word 'cool', basically it was security officers swooning and being like 'God, he's so cool.' in the radio channel. Pewter finally got fed up and said he was going down there himself to deal with it. He arrived with HoP Prince, and whispered to her, I didn't hear it at the time but he told me he said, 'Oh shit, he is really cool...' Prince admired his armor and they chatted for a bit, and ultimately agreed Harper could wait out the time for the shuttle as long as he didn't cause any trouble; Pewter left an officer (one who was stuck in a wheelchair...) to watch him. After asking me for my camera to take a selfie with the bounty hunter and all of security crowded around him. Anyway, haven't laughed that hard in a while and was an interesting and fun round.

On 27/05/2020 at 18:13, armrha said:

Played detective for Pewter. Didn't end up having much to do but I like the way he does things. Threats are still taken seriously, but he just brings a more interesting energy to the security department. Before it felt like every single security officer was some ex-military super badass sniper with a haunted past. I don't know if it's his example or what, but there's a lot more variety in the department. But they still follow his orders and bring shit to his attention.

In this round, some space bounty hunter guy, John Harper, ended up in the bar. He was wearing badass bounty hunter armor and had a spear. He just was drinking and waiting for the shuttle call, but Security kept getting reports about him. One officer was sent down and came back saying that he 'seems cool'. 

Pewter ordered me and another officer to check it out, we did, the bartender said there was no issue and the other officer reported that he 'Seemed cool' and walked off. I shrugged and went back to my office after reporting that I guess it wasn't an issue. Pewter asked about it and a bit and was like 'You know carrying a weapon like that is illegal, he should be fined and it should be confiscated.' The AI backed Pewter up, out of nowhere (late join AI) and said that it was absolutely in violation of regulations.

Pewter immediately flipped that around, going, 'Wha-Who's that? Is that the computer? Computer. Do not lecture my men on security procedures. They are highly trained and know hundreds of times more than you about how to do their jobs.' The computer acknowledged the instruction, but I just thought that was hilarious given it was fairly clear we do not know 'hundreds of times' more than the AI.

There was internal security discussion about what to do about the bounty hunter. A fine was suggested, but it was countered, the group agreeing he was probably too cool to pay a fine and probably has hundreds of unpaid space parking tickets. I lost track of how many times security used the word 'cool', basically it was security officers swooning and being like 'God, he's so cool.' in the radio channel. Pewter finally got fed up and said he was going down there himself to deal with it. He arrived with HoP Prince, and whispered to her, I didn't hear it at the time but he told me he said, 'Oh shit, he is really cool...' Prince admired his armor and they chatted for a bit, and ultimately agreed Harper could wait out the time for the shuttle as long as he didn't cause any trouble; Pewter left an officer (one who was stuck in a wheelchair...) to watch him. After asking me for my camera to take a selfie with the bounty hunter and all of security crowded around him. Anyway, haven't laughed that hard in a while and was an interesting and fun round.

Prince here. God he was so cool.

I'm not sure if this counts as feedback but I had a couple of people praise the stuff I did in OOC after the rounds without posting about it here strewn out over the course of the last week.

Here is the last one for my final trial day. Fitting I suppose.

BuvDm8e.png

Edited by Hesphos