/!\ READ - STATE OF TAJARAN /!\

so you just threw a while lot of words in my mouth that i did not say (im starting to remember why i dont talk in forums). Now i dont know what imaginary world your created, o4 how little thought you've put in this, but I've given this topic considerable thought. If we follow your created lore with hateful racism being so rampant then it wouldn't make since that we have taj heads or for that matter xenos onbord at all. Inorder to make things make since in your world we would have to bann alll taj and unathi(maybe one gets highered for janitor). But no thats not the situation on aurora, we have lots of xenos and lots of head xenos, so they are clearly more accepted to the community than the imaginary lore you suggest. Th3 nice thing about this is we get to decide what is lore and what is not. Since the community decided to have lots of xenos even in head , then to make since of it that means the races are more accepted then what you say

Ok. First of all, half of that post was aimed at spacevoidagent. It wasn't aimed at you, but you seem to have read it that way? I'm not sure. Secondly, you're aggressively defending pet species from the most trivial portrayals of racism in the setting. You're throwing up this huge outcry of unrealistic portrayal based on wildly incorrect assumptions of how people work. I live in a place that is still deeply, deeply racist at every possible level.

Take us back to the 80s and random people would get arrested for coming through town for as little reason as having long hair.

I've never agreed with banning species from any role, but suggesting that a high-tech research facility is somehow inoculated against people expressing dumb, ignorant opinions in-character because it annoys you that your tajaran gets called names doesn't make it unrealistic.

You haven't thought this through. You have a warped, incorrect view of how prejudice works. Based on our timeline the Tajarans have only been known for thirty nine years, and the notion of them being primitive bestial beings takes much, much longer to go away than that long. It's been even less time with the Unathi. For people's enjoyment there are less restrictions on aliens than there used to be, but that doesn't mean the racism is gone or even socially unacceptable, especially the incredibly minor racism of calling calling Unathi lizards or Tajarans cats.

My personal recommendation back when we were still debating some of this stuff, with regards to IPCs, is that Aurora Station is deliberately an environment where social experiments are carried out and abnormal staffing decisions occur in abundance. That wasn't adopted, but there are plenty of explanations for why these elements mix together the way they do that don't require your bizarre hardline perspective where either people need to stop calling each other names or your pet whitelist needs to be locked down hard.

The lore before the loredevs bent over for the furries was realistic and immersive.

-snip-

And I'm not even going to engage this at length. People clearly don't want what you want for the game. We've gotten past officially considering the entire crew to be minimum wage incompetents, much less draconian role restrictions.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Marlon Phoenix

You accepted the lore of the Tajaran and agreed to follow it and use it to get your whitelist. If you can't follow the expectations, that have the Tajaran be under the other races and struggling against being perceived as primitive savages (good luck overcoming that when you maul people for calling you names) then you didn't actually understand enough of the lore to get your whitelist.

You agreed to the lore when you applied and said you read the lore. You don't get to say 'it's bad' and ignore it.

Well I mean, you can, but you have to do it without the whitelist.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

You accepted the lore of the Tajaran and agreed to follow it and use it to get your whitelist. If you can't follow the expectations, that have the Tajaran be under the other races and struggling against being perceived as primitive savages (good luck overcoming that when you maul people for calling you names) then you didn't actually understand enough of the lore to get your whitelist.

You agreed to the lore when you applied and said you read the lore. You don't get to say 'it's bad' and ignore it.

Ok jackboot, if the lore is what they are saying it is houssam should not exist. He would never have been able to get a job if the taj are considered as inferior and hated as suggested in this forum. This is why either the lore needs to change, or you (and a lot of other xenos) can drop their charaters.

*edit*

the same can be said with sues character which apparently was an hos and cmo. this is why i said even the lore masters are not following the lore that is being suggested on this forum.

Edited by Guest

Ok jackboot, if the lore is what they are saying it is houssam should not exist. He would never have been able to get a job if the taj are considered as inferior and hated as suggested in this forum. This is why either the lore needs to change, or you (and a lot of other xenos) can drop their charaters.

*edit*

the same can be said with sues character which apparently was an hos and cmo. this is why i said even the lore masters are not following the lore that is being suggested on this forum.

Edited by Guest

So I do put in a lot of thought into the behaviors of people and the economic impacts of racism. You’ve given some barely applicable examples of racism in history. Where I can take you to school on this subject. I also have taken into consideration what you are saying, a courtesy you seem to have failed to do for me. Why do I say that?

I've never agreed with banning species from any role, but suggesting that a high-tech research facility is somehow inoculated against people expressing dumb, ignorant opinions in-character because it annoys you that your tajaran gets called names doesn't make it unrealistic.

This is not at all what I am suggesting. You may think that is what I am saying because you haven’t taken a moment to actually consider and understand the words I type, but I can already tell you the argument your posing does not reflect the words I’ve written. Now I am tired of repeating myself and the wonderful thing about forums is you can go back and reread what I’ve said, so before you continue your rant over a topic go back and consider the words I type and make sure you understand it because it is apparent that you do not. Now I am stepping back from this conversation (takes too much effort), but I will leave it at this. What you’re saying I’m saying, is not what I have actually said.

So I do put in a lot of thought into the behaviors of people and the economic impacts of racism. You’ve given some barely applicable examples of racism in history. Where I can take you to school on this subject. I also have taken into consideration what you are saying, a courtesy you seem to have failed to do for me. Why do I say that?

This is not at all what I am suggesting. You may think that is what I am saying because you haven’t taken a moment to actually consider and understand the words I type, but I can already tell you the argument your posing does not reflect the words I’ve written. Now I am tired of repeating myself and the wonderful thing about forums is you can go back and reread what I’ve said, so before you continue your rant over a topic go back and consider the words I type and make sure you understand it because it is apparent that you do not. Now I am stepping back from this conversation (takes too much effort), but I will leave it at this. What you’re saying I’m saying, is not what I have actually said.

*edit*

CMO: Fourty year future round. 2487.

HoS: Have not touched the role for months. Retconned.

Don't try to cover up your own shit by pointing fingers.

*edit*

was not aware you retconned it. I mean you did play hos for months. I like how the topic of glass ceiling and extreme racism becomes an issue after you retconned it. even so houssam is still a very instilled thing. what, does the glass ceiling some how not exist in this world of extreme racism. ether we're dealing with extreme racism in which the taj are subjugated to mineing or janitorial work (goodbye nasir, houssam, safi, all the science cats, yeah lets see how well that goes over) or the world is not as racist as suggested and it's more subtle corporate racism. I'm sorry If I want a world that makes coherent sense, instead of than one that panders to the lore masters. My bad?

*edit*

was not aware you retconned it. I mean you did play hos for months. I like how the topic of glass ceiling and extreme racism becomes an issue after you retconned it. even so houssam is still a very instilled thing. what, does the glass ceiling some how not exist in this world of extreme racism. ether we're dealing with extreme racism in which the taj are subjugated to mineing or janitorial work (goodbye nasir, houssam, safi, all the science cats, yeah lets see how well that goes over) or the world is not as racist as suggested and it's more subtle corporate racism. I'm sorry If I want a world that makes coherent sense, instead of than one that panders to the lore masters. My bad?

If your idea of a 'good world' is letting Tajarans fuck around and slice anyone who dares call them a wrong name into ribbons, then you're damn right the lore masters are going to have something against it.

Humans that are constantly problem people and start fights get fired. Racism is prevelant in our lore, yes, but don't make this just a race thing. If you're frequently a bad employee, expect reprecussions. Tajaran's even more so becuase they're scrutinized.

Alright. Let's take a look at your posts, starting with the one that immediately preceded my entry into this conversation.

I would lik3 to see racism done better. Corporate racism can be fun to rp but its very different from the racism i see on aroura. All ive ever seen is just blatant hate racism of people calling cats every name in the book and being down right berligerant which is wholly unrealistic in a research station. If you wana complain about tajs escalating to claws can we also point out how unrealistic it is to even have to deal with such blatant racism?

Post #1: In this post, you compare Tajarans escalating to assault (or murder, as I've seen at least one incident of this kind killing a person) to racist people calling them cats or other names, lamenting that both are equally unrealistic in a research station.

If this was a job for rednecks bar and grill i would understand. But were talking about an advance research station where tight security is maintained and qualifications to even step foot on the station is pretty high. Generally , no you dont see open and beligerant racism in a place like that

Post #2: In this post, you suggest that a "Redneck Bar and Grill" (an environment that most anyone would reasonably interpret as "rural and low-intellect in nature") is a prerequisite environment for overt racism, and therefore criticize overt racism on the Aurora as unrealistic. Literally your words.

The point is it is unrealistic to expect super beligerant racism the way we normally see on the station. They are not as retarded as your suggesting and a multimillion dollar corp wouldn't have extremist racist on bord. Corporate racism is one thing but what most xenos deal with in game is just beligerant hate which is unrealistic.

Post #3: Mostly a response to spacevoidagent, repeating your opinion that belligerent racism is unrealistic in the leadership of a massive corporation.

so you just threw a while lot of words in my mouth that i did not say (im starting to remember why i dont talk in forums). Now i dont know what imaginary world your created, o4 how little thought you've put in this, but I've given this topic considerable thought. If we follow your created lore with hateful racism being so rampant then it wouldn't make since that we have taj heads or for that matter xenos onbord at all. Inorder to make things make since in your world we would have to bann alll taj and unathi(maybe one gets highered for janitor). But no thats not the situation on aurora, we have lots of xenos and lots of head xenos, so they are clearly more accepted to the community than the imaginary lore you suggest. Th3 nice thing about this is we get to decide what is lore and what is not. Since the community decided to have lots of xenos even in head , then to make since of it that means the races are more accepted then what you say

Post #4: You respond to my post, which suggested that you were conflating a heavily educated environment with a liberal/progressive one. In fairness to you, you did not specify this much detail. You go on to insist that, because we have not banned Tajarans and Unathi from Head positions, obviously this world in which these races are discriminated against cannot reasonably be reflected in the setting that we have now.

then the lore doesn't make sense with the situation on aurora. If xenos are that hated they wouldn't even beable to get a job on a station like this let alone become heads of staff. To fix this you can eather bann all xenos from anything but mining so you can continue the extream beligerant hate (yeah lets see how that goes over) or you can change the lore to reflect the attidudes that are showing up onthe aurora community. The lore follows the community, th3 community isn't bound by the lore.

Post #5: you repeat yourself on the previous subject. Rather smugly, you suggest that either the prejudice described in the lore is invalid and should be disregarded, OR Tajarans/Unathi should be banned from more positions to properly represent the prejudice described in lore, while expressing confidence that this will not occur because too many (important) people play these characters in influential positions.

*edit*

Post #6: You continue pushing the same topic as before, attacking two of the characters you are using as a shield against this lore being true.

Post #7: You insist that I don't understand the subject, that what I'm taking away from this is not what you intend, and that I don't have the basic respect to take the time to understand you.

Post #8: You continue attacking Sue on the subject of her prior whitelists, and the excision of these events from Aurora.

Let's have a little bit of a history lesson. Back when I first started playing on Aurora, but before I actually registered for these forums, one of the big ticket issues was whether or not Tajarans should be able to receive certain Head roles. Because I played Security, mostly the role I saw them desiring was the Head of Security role. At the time, Tajarans were simply not allowed there, and an exception was made for a particularly exceptional Tajaran Head of Security who specifically asked for an exception.

I don't think it was Sue, I think it was Ryu'daken Mo'Taki, or at least someone who looked very similar. I might be mis-remembering the specific identity, because my memory is not the most reliable. This was regarded as exceptional circumstances, and not a thing that was universally acceptable. It was something you could get with hard work and effort through roleplay, not something people were universally entitled to. But it happened.

A lot of time has passed since then, and a lot of restrictions have been loosened in the name of letting players have their fun, but these loosened restrictions have/had little to nothing to do with the lore changing. There are many possibilities for exceptions to the ordinary rules, and there are plenty of good reasons why lots people might still hate (INSERT_RACE_HERE). Possibly even purely for TAKIN' OUR JERBS, and especially BECAUSE they're starting to achieve command positions instead of more qualified humans or skrell.

It doesn't have to be A or B. This false dichotomy you're arguing tooth and nail about is ridiculous nonsense that is gravely unbecoming of you.

In conclusion: I understand you completely, I just think your argument is tremendously faulty.

Crypto-Fascists and Basically UKIP run the Largest Human country, and won through elections, Most Humans think Xenos are inferior , That is all I have to say. People who are claiming people wouldn't be racist on a Space Station, motherfucking what? Academia, Science and Other high level fields contain viscous racists, Genetics especially, opinions don't change based on the White collar of the business.
then the lore doesn't make sense with the situation on aurora. If xenos are that hated they wouldn't even beable to get a job on a station like this let alone become heads of staff. To fix this you can eather bann all xenos from anything but mining so you can continue the extream beligerant hate (yeah lets see how that goes over) or you can change the lore to reflect the attidudes that are showing up onthe aurora community. The lore follows the community, th3 community isn't bound by the lore.

There is a difference between Most of Humanity being racist, and cheap labour, Tajarra are cheap labour, doesn't matter if everyone hates them.

If your idea of a 'good world' is letting Tajarans fuck around and slice anyone who dares call them a wrong name into ribbons, then you're damn right the lore masters are going to have something against it.

Humans that are constantly problem people and start fights get fired. Racism is prevelant in our lore, yes, but don't make this just a race thing. If you're frequently a bad employee, expect reprecussions. Tajaran's even more so becuase they're scrutinized.

um no, Covert0ddity that would be a retarded idea and not what i am suggestion. so theres that

Furry, you specifically said that if someone called Safi a cat; she should/would "claw them a bit".

It doesn't matter if you got called a racial slur at work; if you go at them with lethal weapons (Tajaran are predators; so their claws are designed to kill or maim), then you will be inside a prison cell for a loooonnnng time; assault with a deadly weapon is a serious charge; and it doesn't matter if they insulted you first, it's called the escalation of proportional force.

On that note... a way to cut fown super-sass scratchy kitties and geckos may be to treat their unarmed attacks as assault with a deadly weapon; given the purpose of claws.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
On that note... a way to cut fown super-sass scratchy kitties and geckos may be to treat their unarmed attacks as assault with a deadly weapon; given the purpose of claws.

That...

Is a very good idea.

I always approved of a sort of individual whitelist for specific cats to play command positions. This idea was not popular with administration (out of justified fears of being accused of metafriendships), and I doubt it would have been popular with the player base. So our options are to allow them all in, or ban them all from.

And honestly at this point I'd accept losing Houssam in a command role in a reversion to the total ban.

Once again, I repeat that his entire character revolves around the fact he had to fight tooth and nail to get in his position, and is morally grey specifically because he wants to ensure he has a fallback if he loses his job, or ensure he can remain in the position that he is in. If he just got it like anyone else, he wouldn't go out of his way to form spy networks and inform for Command (when not antag, otherwise HAHA SUBVERSION+ASSASSINATION TIME) to impress human captains.

But that attitude isn't prevalent. Tajarans are, 90% of the time, self-entitled.

That is a good idea.

I always approved of a sort of individual whitelist for specific cats to play command positions. This idea was not popular with administration (out of justified fears of being accused of metafriendships), and I doubt it would have been popular with the player base. So our options are to allow them all in, or ban them all from.

I don't really think these fears should be indulged, because there are always exceptions to rules like these, but it's been made clear recently that the sort of benevolent dictatorship style of running a role playing setting isn't preferred on Aurora.

Personally, I was and am totally okay with meritorious individuals being allowed exceptional positions based on their RP history with relevant characters.

Look I work six days a week and every day I come home there’s only three hours of free time before I have to go to sleep again. It would take time to go point by point and tell you how you are just not getting this, and for whatever reason you can’t figure it out on your own. Apparently you really need someone to break it down step by step. IF I had the time I f*cking WOULD. But to my extreme displeasure I f*cking don’t. So I’m just going to put my trust on the admins that they won’t let this bullshit escalate further. At least they have shown in the past to be fairly good at recognizing bullshit. Seeing how inane you are being I can’t help but imagine that you’re going to think I can’t demonstrate why you’re thinking screwy; but I can though I’m sure you won’t believe me until I do, it’s the internet after all *shrugs*. Lastly if you really want me to explain to you how you’re getting this twisted I will later if you pm me; but right now I going to try to enjoy the merger two hours I have before I have to go to sleep and go to work all day tomorrow.

Look I work six days a week and every day I come home there’s only three hours of free time before I have to go to sleep again. It would take time to go point by point and tell you how you are just not getting this, and for whatever reason you can’t figure it out on your own. Apparently you really need someone to break it down step by step. IF I had the time I f*cking WOULD. But to my extreme displeasure I f*cking don’t. So I’m just going to put my trust on the admins that they won’t let this bullshit escalate further. At least they have shown in the past to be fairly good at recognizing bullshit. Seeing how inane you are being I can’t help but imagine that you’re going to think I can’t demonstrate why you’re thinking screwy; but I can though I’m sure you won’t believe me until I do, it’s the internet after all *shrugs*. Lastly if you really want me to explain to you how you’re getting this twisted I will later if you pm me; but right now I going to try to enjoy the merger two hours I have before I have to go to sleep and go to work all day tomorrow.

Communication over the internet is imperfect, and this is a failing of disagreements in this medium. I cannot perfectly intuit your intent, and you cannot perfectly intuit my intent. I haven't been as kind as I could have been with my responses, for which I do apologize. All the same, if you want to be respected for your position in a debate, you need to provide an explanation as to why your viewpoint has any grounding.

I haven't gone out of my way to write an essay or provide sources on the dynamics of racism in the workplace and how long it takes for a socially maligned class to become fully "respected" after being introduced to society, to be perfectly fair on that point. But I feel like current events speak for themselves. We're STILL not completely there in real life and absolutely have openly racist multimillionaire CEOs, legal disputes over the recognition of homosexuality in marriage in government offices, mistreatment of indigenous peoples, etc.

So far, all you've done is repeat yourself and attack anyone who came within arm's reach, subtly or openly. If you have the time and inclination to correct me as you've indicated you would, I want you to do it right here, not in private.

So. I played as a RD today, and I asked three times for a group of Tajaran to quit speaking cat over science radio. They refused to, so it caused me to yell to get them to shut up.

And then this happened:

Azeazekal Karnaikai [science] says, "The RD isss not happy with you not ssspeaking basssic on commsss."
Rasul Mo'Taki  [science] says, "Too fucking bad."

This is the sort of shit that people fucking hate from tajarans. A boss asked you nicely to stop talking a different language, and usually at any job if a boss asks more than once you're usually sent home for the rest of the day without pay (or worse) and yet you're acting like this is some sort of fursecution that YOU CAN'T USE SPECIAL :j LANGUAGE OMG THAT BASTARD.

You know why other species don't get yelled at as much for using their language on comms as much as Tajarans? You want to know why Tajarans get a lot of shit than a Skrell or a Dionea? Let me tell you why: Because other species aren't not notoriously known for comms abuse of spamming asterisks (in this case now its mrrrowls but i digress) as they host a goddamn extended conversation on fucking comms, He said She said bullshit.

It's fucking annoying when they think the "no speaking other language" is in rule just for them, when it's for /everyone/. How would you feel if humans were allowed to Sol Common all day on comms?

Also, great show, Rasul, thanks for proving that you only read the lore for 10 seconds to make an app just so you can disregard the lore to play your sassy submissive cat. Thanks for also proving that this is why tajarans in general needs to be knocked down a few pegs since essentially they're no longer second class citizens according to the players, lore be damned.

Edited by Guest
You are marginalized.

You are not respected.

You are viewed as terrorists by the galaxy as a whole because of the war.

You are distrusted.

If you cannot come to terms with these facts, perhaps Tajaran isn't a race for you.

I wish more people treated my Tajaran like this. I developed several characters on the basis of them having to work harder/deal with discrimination. And then it almost never exists except a select few people that get immediately shot down. :<

Same feeling here. Those qualities of Tajaran lore is practically null.

So. I played as a RD today, and I asked three times for a group of Tajaran to quit speaking cat over science radio. They refused to, so it caused me to yell to get them to shut up.

And then this happened:

Azeazekal Karnaikai [science] says, "The RD isss not happy with you not ssspeaking basssic on commsss."
Rasul Mo'Taki  [science] says, "Too fucking bad."

I honestly wish this didn't happen as much as it did. It's like people want to say 'look at me, I can speak in a language you can't read'.

Oh boy, you don't know how much shit Security would get in for doing something like this, ICly.

I would say that corporate level speciesism is one thing, individual speciesism is another. I doubt Nanotrasen would much condone blatant, disruptive speciesism, such as I've seen happen once or twice on-station. It pisses off the species in question, and any character who has more progressive views. Your character can be an ass-backwards speciesist if you particularly want, but what the worry seems to be here is it should not be condoned and allowed over public comms, or in a disruptive manner.

If you start a race war on a station, it's so much more expensive dealing with that shit than tossing the offending speciesist in a cell if they refuse to shut the hell up about it and get back to work. On the flip side, assaulting someone for mouthing off isn't desirable either, though the 'fighting words' clause in law comes to mind. If you go into a Tajaran-run cargo, for instance, even as a Captain, and start going "FUCKING CATBEASTS SHOULD BE PURGED", so on and so forth, expecting them to sit there and -not- react eventually is equally as egregious. You wouldn't expect to get away with going into a predominantly black neighborhood today and start going "WHITE POWER WHITE POWER", and insulting them and not expect something bad to happen to you, right?

There's a fine balance between both sides here. Corporate-level distrust is an acceptable thing, the higher brass don't trust Tajaran employees quite yet. They may make individual exceptions, but on a whole the species will take time to earn their place, same as IPCs and Unathi. But disruptive speciesism is not the desire here, and crewmembers who focus on it from either side can become disruptive to the environment of work around them, and Nanotrasen would be very much against that regardless of corporate level distrust. So, too, should Tajaran individuals avoid physical confrontations if at all possible, but we cannot expect them to be punching bags for verbal assaults and not react negatively to it if it does not stop. It's not fun for the characters, and it isn't really fun for the players, either, and we all are here to have fun ultimately.

Central touched the subject and I feel It's one that Furry hasn't grasped the concept of entirely. At this point I'd like to add a disclaimer to my post. I am not a racist, but in this I will be using a field of view including real world racial prejudice and hate.

Do you really think that if people hate a race that they won't be hired by major corperations? Think about it, in today's society where so many minorities are hated by white people, does that same logic apply? One of my best friends is a racial bigot. I hate that about him but he has so many other qualities that I love. Moving on, he works for one of the largest national fast food chains in the US. Now it's easy for us to discount his personal opinion and do what laws and corprate regs tell us, don't racially discriminate when hiring new employees. If he decided to at on his racism and management NEVER found out, what would ever get done about it? 9/11 happens. Muslims/middle easterners become the scum of the earth. If walmart went and stopped hiring them it'd be hell to pay. Lawsuit after lawsuit. Does that mena customers and employees have to enjoy working with people they view as terrorists? Are managers supposed to be machines and not have personal views that generates corruption? Fuck no! So employees need to learn to take it up, contact corprate. Even if they are racist, those fuckers are supposed to act like they aren't.

In all reality, has Safi EVER produced an IC complaint about the racism she faces? Has she EVER approached a Head of Staff, the Captain, or a Duty Officer about this problem? If not then what the fuck can she have done about it? You can't expect the world to conform to your ideals.

I play a captain that is super accepting. He trusts the AI until he has sufficient reason not to. He trusts IPCs. He trusts the xenos to do their jobs. Not everyone will. My mindset is secular to me. It's my playstyle. People, especially when they keep up with lore better than me, play differently. I really like your characters, they are fun and you bring a lot of RP to the rounds you are in. But you really have to understand that the realism you crave, is exactly what you are seeing in game. Your demands and thoughts are utopian. Taj can be hated and still be hired and promoted to head roles that their race is approved for, and yes, you should never see a Taj captain because they are not approved. there's only certain roles each race can cover.

• 1 month later...

I for one, love the idea of treating Tajara/Unathi attacks as Assault. That's an interesting idea, one I believe should be enforced, tbh.

i also enjoy racism against the fucking catbeasts. They deserve it with their filthy cat ways and their bloody wars and stupid meowing. Anytime one is willing to claw somebody to hell over being called a name is when they lose credibility as a species.