Jboy2000000's Forum Moderator App

Forum Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: Jboy2000000

Preferred means of contact: Forum PM, BYOND pager or Steam. Now introducing new "Skype" flavour of communication.

Timezone: Eastern UTC -5:00

How often do you visit/use our forums?: Several times everyday

Experience

How long have you been with our community: One year

Do you have any experience in forum moderation or administration?: No

Have you ever been banned from our server or forum, and if so, how long and why?: I was banned once for three days after attacking a violent nymph that gestated into a full Diona, and another time for writing "Reap" in the chapel, and was banned when an admin ahelped me while AFK because someone thought I wrote "Rape" all over the chapel.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I started playing because I found Goon videos on Youtube, when I found that Goon wasn't as fun as it looked, I found Aurora and stuck around because I found roleplaying was more fun with visual representation, more than just words like I used to.

Why do you play on Aurora?: It was the first RP server I ever played on, and it never felt right playing anywhere else.

What do moderators do?: They moderate. In a more serious answer, they make sure that things don't get out of hand here on the forums, break the rules like an admin or server mod would do on the server, and to a lesser extent, make the active section of certain forum section less cluttered. That can range from removing people's posts, modifying them, locking threads, or sometimes moving closed threads to the appropriate sub forums.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our community?: Thats harder to answer. Moderating for a community makes you a face about the community, and you're also the face of the moderators and other staff. As of late, people seem to be trusting staff less and less, so it might be tougher doing it somewhere else.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I want to help make the community a better, safer place, but I don't fell I commit enough to the server itself to moderate on the server. I figured, if I can't help the server directly, helping the server indirectly by helping the secondary meeting place of the serve world be good enough.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I like to think I have a good grasp on where a cut off between where people can be spoken to about what they've done, and when its time to actually be firm with them. I don't know how often that would be used here, but I thought I should add it here. I also like to think of myself as a people person, and that Ive made friends with people in the community. People need to know they can trust and speak with staff, and I think Im someone who fits that bill.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I like to think I handle all of those things well, but thats my own opinion, and obviously that is objective for myself.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Answers to questions Ive seen in other apps:

How do you feel about the current state of forum moderation, and would you change anything to the way forums are moderated?

I feel like its being moderated well, but thats only because it doesn't seem that the rules of the server are broken very often. As for what and if I would change, I don't very much like the stance the moderators take on shit posting as a means of serious conversation and transference of opinions, but I won't go on a crusade to stop it on my own.

Edited by Guest

This wonderful gentleman helped me to solve a problem related to the game i had during 3 years ! During a deadhour, when he had 6:30 on a clock. 3 years of wasted experience and countless failed attempts fixed in one moment thanks to him.

I don't know his name, i don't know where he's from, but...

Hell, if i am even allowed to say my opinion on this, i'd recommend to make him a moderator.

At least because he is responsive and i can confirm it.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't know if this application is a joke.

You make ton of complaints and sometimes ban requests for SILLIEST things ever, like being enthralled and kept on round to further roleplay in a cool situation, or being killed and then cloned to stay in round, which is a huge issue for you being cloned, rather left killed.

You make so many unnecessary points and useless facts because you feel so misjudged, bad, victimized. You don't look eighteen years old either, but some teenager who keeps complaining on silly things.

Also, from my further investigation, you've never really helped anyone out. You just semi-AFK and always whine on staff how bad some staff are, how bad several players are. You becoming a forum moderator would mean you /moderating/ on players who are usually against you, just my opinion.

-1, I heavily disagree with this application.

Gonna echo vertigo here a bit, its nothing against you personally but in particular i feel like you only ever argue things when you feel victimized or attacked. I also really take issue with the way you reacted to the atmos experiment during an extended round bboth in character trying to prevent it and out of character making comments when players where discussing it. I don't think that's the standard we should set for whitelisted players and as such i can't endorse this app.

Im sorry my character did not agree with a crazy experiment that he thought would, and did, impair the productivity of the station, and could, and did, put people's lives at risk. I am also sorry that I was forced into a situation I found unfun, was berated in character, and spent nearly the entire round on the science outpost with three people as a result, because Nanda didn't follow a stipulation that the head admin of the server said they should have followed before doing the experiment on the server. Im going to assume you mean what happened with Techno about how I only argue when I feel victimized. If you looked into some, you'd see that my biggest issue with Techno was that he had a long standing record of breaking the same rules repeatedly, and was never punished.

Im sorry my character did not agree with a crazy experiment that he thought would, and did, impair the productivity of the station, and could, and did, put people's lives at risk. I am also sorry that I was forced into a situation I found unfun, was berated in character, and spent nearly the entire round on the science outpost with three people as a result, because Nanda didn't follow a stipulation that the head admin of the server said they should have followed before doing the experiment on the server. Im going to assume you mean what happened with Techno about how I only argue when I feel victimized. If you looked into some, you'd see that my biggest issue with Techno was that he had a long standing record of breaking the same rules repeatedly, and was never punished.

I'm sorry for bringing this up here, and, like... maybe it's not fully related to the app, but I just really wanted to know. And I guess it's related a little bit, maybe.

Didn't that same RD of yours partake in an all-out arena brawl just a few days following the atmos test? And I'm not saying he shouldn't have, both were fun events and I think people had more fun experiencing them then they would have staying in their departments doing nothing for the sake of "station productivity" or whatever RP excuse, but I fail to see the consistency here.

Like, your character doesn't like the idea of an atmos test that actually looked like something a workplace could do, because it's risky and not realistic RP, but organized gladiatoral combat is totally cool?

:?

The RD is Unathi, gladiator combat is literally a sport to them, and now that I think about it, its literally a sport that is played around the universe, its mentioned in the news casters. The arena was pitched as a social experiment, and security and medical were both on hand to stop the fight when it was needed, precautions were taken, and failing even if social experiment was something to make it sound nice, it would also be a good way for employees to blow off steam in a controlled, reportedly safe way. However, the atmos test put everyone single person on station, even the untrained, in hardsuits, meaning it would be impossible for medical to treat pretty much anything. It was also pointed out by at least two people this is something they could and should have tested while the station wasn't occupied by an active work force.

Thats essentially my opinion as well frances. Jboy you can justify literally anything IC with reasons why you did or did not agree something. the bottom line however is you stood in the way of an experiment on an extended round. You could have done a million things to get involved or help out SOME way with the test, hell you where playing the RD at the time. The RD is arguably the most important person on the station, you're literally the head of the reason the station exists. You didnt find it fun? valid, thats 100% ok but do NOT use that as an excuse to try to shut down something others ARE going to enjoy. (and did)

Roleplay is a giant game of improv and one of the golden rules of improv is to say "yes".

If the golden rule was to always say yes, why would we have security or command during extended rounds? What I do and how my characters act in game also have no baring on how good Id be as a forum moderator.

Well, being any kind of mod is about recognizing the intent of people in situations. If someone did something bad but meant well, you'd approach the situation very differently from how you would if they did bad and meant bad.

And I think the atmos test shows a bit of lack of consideration for the intent of the people who partaked in it. Like, there's nothing wrong with wanting to raise conflict or staying true to your character's personality per se, but when that conflict has the effect of hampering one of the rare, player-organized events we see, it's kinda sucky for the people who actually tried to get together and organize/have the thing. And for that reason, I think going out of your way to have the captain punished goes a little too far, unless the captain really behaved like an ass to you or something else we're overlooking.

The captain was an ass, he did threaten to have me brigged and demoted for peacefully disagreeing with the test, and both Aquila and the captain sent a fax to Central that made it seem like I was actively going out of my way to sabotage their test. At least five people opposed doing to test, the only security personnel on the station at the time, the detective, all of medical, one MD and one EMT, the botanist, and maybe the roboticist. I say maybe because I can't tell if they didn't or not, they mostly seemed peeved they could get their work done after the test. No matter if they did or not, thats over half the station at the time who didn't want to have the test be done either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...