Tony Adams's HoS Whitelist application

Guest Bokaza

BYOND key: Bokaza

Character names:Tony Adams

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Around 2 months now.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Because I think I would do a good job or die trying. Otherwise, it's a logical direction that my character's development would take.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I came to Aurora from Hypathia by pure chance. Never left it since.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Yes.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is, to put it bluntly, living as your character. The roleplaying should be done in a manner that doesn't conflict with what we consider common sense irl and game lore. This includes unprovoked crimes (just for the sake of it) and talking OOC in IC. Each character is a person in his own right so should be played and treated as such, in the game universe at least.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: His purpose is to direct and watch over his subordinates, make sure they do their jobs, aren't breaking SOP or laws and assist them if needed.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Being a head of staff is a position of power. Power to either better or ruin everyone's round. Whitelisted players should watch what they are doing accordingly.

Character name: Tony Adams

Character age: 28

Please provide a short biography of this character:

Tony Adams was born into a military family, with a long tradition of serving in the Sol Alliance Marines and Navy. At the time of Tony's birth, his father had two sons, 33 years of age and was alredy in command of his own frigate-sized vessel. His father, a natural born leader, treated all of his solders as children, and all of his children as solders. Because of this, Tony and his brothers grew up in suburbs on Stormswrath, in an enviroment of discipline and intensive education, which he never really took to heart due to lack of motivation. When the family expanded with two more male children, as the middle child, Tony was left with little attention from his parents. He became lonely, which over time, made him become largely introverted and, lacking experience with people, out of touch with social norms. As he grew up, he joined the Military Academy as his father had intended.

Having been put into a new enviroment, he prospered and quickly rose through ranks. He served in Sol Alliance Marines for 7 years, untill one day his strike team was to hit a pirate cruiser. What exactly happened, and where, is confidential, but his own mistake caused the deaths of several of fellow marines including his superior officer. His career ended with a dishonorable discharge.

After spending months looking for a job, he got a one at Aurora station. Over some time, he advanced from cadet, reciving Captain De Santos's own recommendation, through officer, to Warden. He has done extensive work as a Warden, always striving to be just, motivate and cordinate his fellow officers to the best of his ability. This has brought him into conflict with the acting Head of Security many times, but he always obeyed them in the end.

What do you like about this character?: He has a special brand of morbid humour and cynicism, along with his suprising ability to be right mostly on instinct. He has also shown potential as a natural leader, as people tend to follow him on choice, demonstrated by many shifts as a headless warden, when he usualy took command.

What do you dislike about this character?: He tends to screw up and make mistakes a lot, contributed to self-doubt, as people with the same tend to requestion everything they do. Because of this, he radiates an aura of incompetence. As a man of somewhat strong convictions, he tends to come into conflict with other crewmambers. He also has a weakness for women, making him too trusting of them.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Security?: Yes.

Why?: Despite being under thirty, he has served NT loyaly and diligently, sometimes to the point of mental break. He has also shown moral conviction and potential for leadership, despite his occasional mistakes.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: On a scale from baldhead to medbay, I'm a 6. I never intentionally meta and know how to use most of the emotes and actions ingame, although still learning.

Extra notes:

I am fully aware that 30 is the age limit, but one of the admins or mods mentioned that applying for the Head of Security has somewhat looser age limit and 28 being somewhat accaptable, which was my character's age at the time. Other then that, feel free to comment on the character, add extra flaws or simply tear him apart.

Edited by Guest

Whoops, started typing this up a few days ago, but didn't submit it! My bad. Alright, here goes.

Tony Adams is a fairly well known Warden. He is often praised and spoken highly of on TS, and in private Steam conversations I have with other players.

He it's a pretty competent warden, with a sound knowledge of current protocol, as well as the ability to differentiate one similar crime from another, and assign punishments accordingly.

My only issue with Adams, and this is totally understandable, as warden can be quite the dull job, is that he is frequently out of the brig, most usually when he's needed. This is a minor issue, though, as he always comes running if enough hails are made over comms.

I for one am interested in seeing how he performs in command, and judging from how people speak of him in private conversation, I know I'm not the only one.

+1.

(Psssst. Need to be a bit more active in advertising your application, otherwise you're going to be waiting a long, long time. :P)

I'm not going to +1 this solely based on the age.

Yes, the age limit is loose, but I personally believe that a person needs to be at least 30 to have mentally matured enough to be in that sort of position. I do think Adams is a competent Officer and Warden, and will make a wonderful Head of Security once he actually meets the age requirement, but for now, I'm not going to -1 or +1 this.

+1, curious to see whether this will help with Adams' self-esteem issues or whether the pressure will make him crazier than batshit.

Jokes aside, Bokaza is a great player; he knows the game mechanics, he is always in character, and he knows when to not make use of his knowledge of the mechanics and let himself be a fool in this or that situation in order to make the roleplay interesting - for that alone, he deserves the position in my eyes. Genuinely human characters get outshined by poor RPers (and their ridiculously competent characters) too often.

To put it differently, I vote for Bokaza because he strikes me as very capable roleplayer who, in position of power, would recognize when excercising that power is beneficial to the story being played out, and when it is uneccesary or downright undesirable.

I really cannot stress how refreshing that is to see.

I'm neither endorsing nor detracting from this application, but its my belief that though a solid member of security, this player still has more to learn about security before they lead it. That being said, I think they have potential to learn and have shown to be measured and dependable in a lot of cases. I can see them leading Security eventually, but not yet.

I've spent some time torturing harassing at Adams as a ghost, but I do that with tons of people.

Honestly, I think Bokaza has improved as a player enough I don't have complain at them for simply existing.

Eh.

I'm willing to give you a shot, if only to see if you'll survive or not.

Although, I've got a question:

What would you do as a HoS with a horrible, horrible team. We're talking, 50% bald, 25% stupids who don't know SOP, 15% Snowflakes that can't do their jobs right, and maybe 10% somewhat decent people. Because Security is one of those departments that gets a whole lot of people sometimes in the stupider hours, and more often then not, a great deal of them are stupid and tiggerhappy. Every head has to deal with this problem eventually, and there are many different ways to approach this.

What would you do as a HoS with a horrible, horrible team. We're talking, 50% bald, 25% stupids who don't know SOP, 15% Snowflakes that can't do their jobs right, and maybe 10% somewhat decent people. Because Security is one of those departments that gets a whole lot of people sometimes in the stupider hours, and more often then not, a great deal of them are stupid and tiggerhappy. Every head has to deal with this problem eventually, and there are many different ways to approach this.

I do actually have command experience, including in cases mentioned above. What I would do in theory is; Completely exclude the balds from command, because, you know, they aren't going to listen anyway and if they get bored they might go away. Give quarter to the stupid by not punishing them for every mistake they do, but teach them instead. We've all been new once. Give the most simple jobs to the snowflakes, because if they feel they are contributing their work ethic will improve. I would split the remaining work with the last 10%. But no plan survives contact with the enemy, in this case, the station. When all else fails, improvise, because when security stops to function, station can fall apart.

Ive never had any real real extended amounts of RP with Tony, sadly, but from the bits and pieces Ive seen, hes done a good job, but what really makes me think he'd be good for the job oh HoS, is that he is no nonsense with security, he gets the job down, and hes very professional, the only person Ive seen able to rival professionalism like this is Syrus Seto.

I'm neither endorsing nor detracting from this application, but its my belief that though a solid member of security, this player still has more to learn about security before they lead it. That being said, I think they have potential to learn and have shown to be measured and dependable in a lot of cases. I can see them leading Security eventually, but not yet.

I have given some thought on the matter and I kind of see where the issue is. I could, if I really wanted to, just krank up the character's age to 30, but that wouldn't change anything and would make more RP issues than it would fix. The problem is that I don't really have the experience to handle very complex security problems. However, I have kind of hit a ceiling when it comes to security. I've been stuck playing as a warden for a month now (I think) and learned almost everything about mechanics and rules, so my skill progress has been stagnating for while. Only way, imo, to solve this is to work a more complex role, namely the Head of Security. But since my app seems to be going good, it would be really a waste of time to cancel it since I will apply again later anyway. This is what a propose:

- Since I could really ruin rounds if I screw up as a HoS, I'll refrain myself from playing in event rounds and peak time in general, at least untill I learn enough about and be confident that I can handle them.

- I will not play the captain role (assuming that I will be whitelisted for it, which I'm not sure), untill my character has hit at least 35 years of age, by my count a few months irl.

- I will also not occupy the HoS role 24/7 because that would be scumbaggy, instead, I will at max, play it one or two rounds a day.

How does that sound? Have I quelled your (not so unreasonable) fears by my promise?

Aren't you the one we caught ERPing on the Mining Outpost, and promptly gibbed a clown next to you?

Edit: Forgot to add a point to this. From my experience, Tony has been a relatively nice character to RP with, and has a good grasp on the server rules and what is right and wrong to do. I'd be perfectly happy to support a whitelist.

Aren't you the one we caught ERPing on the Mining Outpost, and promptly gibbed a clown next to you?

Yes, yes I am. Though I fail to see the relevance.

Failure to adhere to protocol, for one. Pretty sure Regulation #543 disallows 'ERP.' Or was it Regulation #534. Oh, bother.

Two, lack of professionalism in the workplace. More than likely, everyone's going to know you fucked on the mining post off-duty. You're going to get laughed at when you file for the promotion and then the Human Resources director tosses your resume out the window and smothers you with the situation report regarding that issue.

I have a zero-tolerance policy on in-game sex myself. Fucking on the job is an absolute no-no. I wouldn't even think of doing it in real life. I mean, damn. You could've /assumed/ that Tony Adams and Nia Ellis were an item and had done it before. Nope, you had to go the extra fucking mile and literally fuck off.

-1. I'm not going to endorse someone for a position that requires responsibility and had committed ERP in plain view of everyone in deadchat.

Failure to adhere to protocol, for one. Pretty sure Regulation #543 disallows 'ERP.' Or was it Regulation #534. Oh, bother.

Two, lack of professionalism in the workplace. More than likely, everyone's going to know you fucked on the mining post off-duty. You're going to get laughed at when you file for the promotion and then the Human Resources director tosses your resume out the window and smothers you with the situation report regarding that issue.

I have a zero-tolerance policy on in-game sex myself. Fucking on the job is an absolute no-no. I wouldn't even think of doing it in real life. I mean, damn. You could've /assumed/ that Tony Adams and Nia Ellis were an item and had done it before. Nope, you had to go the extra fucking mile and literally fuck off.

-1. I'm not going to endorse someone for a position that requires responsibility and had committed ERP in plain view of everyone in deadchat.

It's not really an IC issue. IC sex isn't a problem OOCly - we do allow people to do it as long as it's fade to black. And if a character wants to disobey orders from a head (I think the quartermaster was looking for them), that's their own damn business. I would trust anyone applying for a head whitelist to know that's something we won't let heads do when they've got more urgent matters to attend to.

Now, this becomes a problem when the ERP gets overly graphic in-game (as in no fade to black), as was the problem here. The moment underwear is taken off, eh, it becomes a rulebreak.

Does that speak against you as a player? Probably a bit. But I trust Bokaza is aware of how far is appropriate to take things now (as the clowns will painfully remind him.)

I understand your concerns. I warned the other player that we should move the ERP to BYOND chat, but to be frank it's shit. It crashes all the time and we couldn't be bothered to risk anonymity any further and move it to another service. Furthermore, if you checked the logs, you'll see I've personally tried to keep it as tasteful as possible. The other person crossed the border so fast I didn't really know how to react. So, since we didn't receive any warnings before the clown exploded, I just took what I had and went with it. A grave miscalculation on my part and I apologise for any mental pain you had to endure reading it and fucking with us afterwards.

All in all, I've learned my lesson. I have not and will not repeat it again.

You get every Head position unlocked with your Whitelist. That's not an excuse to insert yourself at the top of every depertment unless you actually know every facet of that department, though. And that's not a dig at you, I went RD a few days ago on a quiet shift and was promptly questioned on my competence. Just advising; show some self control ;)

So, in regards to Tony. You've always played a decent, dependable and respectable Warden - at least I thought you did, until I found it out was you who got clown-busted. I know, relationship RP can be fun, but I don't think Aurora is the place for it. It's a serious research station and as such anytime spend flirting and cavorting with crew is time spend by two people not doing the damn thing they were sent on the station to do. This is doubly important for Head positions, and quadruply important for Captains, who often have entire departments waiting on their word.

I think he gets his sense of offended triggered pretty easily, which might result in some spur of the moment briggings for some of the abrasive crew. However, in my experience, Tony seems to opt for the lesser of applicable charges so a stay under his watch likely wouldn't be very long. This could be due to the Wardens often isolated position and a lack of communication/evidence when perps are dropped in, though. Does Tony actually have ambitions of moving up in the Security heirarchy? Is he formally trained in command procedures and, if not, what notable Heads has he learned from in his time as their right hand man?

You get every Head position unlocked with your Whitelist. That's not an excuse to insert yourself at the top of every depertment unless you actually know every facet of that department, though. And that's not a dig at you, I went RD a few days ago on a quiet shift and was promptly questioned on my competence. Just advising; show some self control ;)

So, in regards to Tony. You've always played a decent, dependable and respectable Warden - at least I thought you did, until I found it out was you who got clown-busted. I know, relationship RP can be fun, but I don't think Aurora is the place for it. It's a serious research station and as such anytime spend flirting and cavorting with crew is time spend by two people not doing the damn thing they were sent on the station to do. This is doubly important for Head positions, and quadruply important for Captains, who often have entire departments waiting on their word.

I think he gets his sense of offended triggered pretty easily, which might result in some spur of the moment briggings for some of the abrasive crew. However, in my experience, Tony seems to opt for the lesser of applicable charges so a stay under his watch likely wouldn't be very long. This could be due to the Wardens often isolated position and a lack of communication/evidence when perps are dropped in, though. Does Tony actually have ambitions of moving up in the Security heirarchy? Is he formally trained in command procedures and, if not, what notable Heads has he learned from in his time as their right hand man?

To be honest, I have no interest and probably will not play anything except Head of Security. I wasn't busted as a Warden and is not connected in any way to my ability to play the role. I took mining that round and after mining a ton of minerals, did that mistake that everyone seems to look down on. Like Frances said, it is not much of an IC issue and either way I'm not gonna repeat it anytime soon. In any case, if I was a HoS, I wouldn't, obviously, go around doing RP while station is burning.

As for the questions; Yes, every character should have flaws, but lack of tolerence for 'abrasive crew' isn't one of them. However, there is a short list of things he can't stand. Since you can apply so many crimes to people, I go by the rule "innocent until proven guilty", which is pretty much how common reason functions. You shouldn't perma brig people on mere assumptions even if you OOCly know they are the antags. Tony does have ambitions and has been either the leader of security as the Warden or a right hand to many a HoS. He has also served as a mid ranking officer in the military.

I'm not sure Seven's fears are quite unreasonable. I've heard Tony is a good member of security but the only times I've personally encountered him is when I was antagonist - I don't really interact with security unless I'm antagonizing so it makes sense, but it seems Tony's a shoot first, ask questions later kind of guy. I'm not certain if that's changed because well, I hardly interact with him but there's one particular cult round that comes to mind when I think of him - the one where he blew up a welder fuel bomb and took some ERT members out along with some cultists, and earlier before that shot at Tina without a word because she had a gun. I don't know if it was a lethal weapon, but I want to say it was.

Those are the two black marks that stain Tony's otherwise seemingly clean record in my mind. If you use a more gradual scale in use of force now, then maybe Tony's ready to be a head of security but as is he seems very forceful.

I'm not sure Seven's fears are quite unreasonable. I've heard Tony is a good member of security but the only times I've personally encountered him is when I was antagonist - I don't really interact with security unless I'm antagonizing so it makes sense, but it seems Tony's a shoot first, ask questions later kind of guy. I'm not certain if that's changed because well, I hardly interact with him but there's one particular cult round that comes to mind when I think of him - the one where he blew up a welder fuel bomb and took some ERT members out along with some cultists, and earlier before that shot at Tina without a word because she had a gun. I don't know if it was a lethal weapon, but I want to say it was.

Those are the two black marks that stain Tony's otherwise seemingly clean record in my mind. If you use a more gradual scale in use of force now, then maybe Tony's ready to be a head of security but as is he seems very forceful.

Yeah, I remember that. It wasn't instant. I met Fortune Bloise when I left the shuttle, she told what happened and the list of people involved, Tina was at the top of the list. She also said you killed Baranova and, them being close friends, kind of triggered the commando mode.

The bomb was a bad idea. The point was to blow up the juggernaut, which I spent a lot of shots on without it dying, and depressurize the hallways to kill the cultists. The ERT had suits (unless I'm mistaken) on and weren't cought in the blast radius. What killed them were the firelocks, they couldn't escape from your constructs in time.

All in all, it was a bad day for me, had to vent out my frustration and I did it by powergaming. I appologise.

Addendum: I should probably mention that my ability to play is strongly tied to my mood, when in bad mood I can be very bad, but in normal circumstances I'm, and subsequently Tony, very peaceful and tolerant, only using force when the suspects/antagonist aren't cooperating.

I believe that he is a good warden and a security officer when there is a normal round, but that last time when he took me hostage, it was golden. He proved it that he is not a ganking, trigger-happy asshole syndicate operative that kills everyone just because he has weapons to do so. He was behaving realistically, and his RP is nice, therefore I give him a big +1.

I think the net count is up to +6, if we count 1138's -1 and discount the positive comments that didn't include a +1. I think. The time limit for the app should be ticking out any time now.

If or not the app gets accepted, I still want to thank everyone for commenting. Your input has helped me become a better player and a just a little bit wiser.

Cheers.