Character incentives or motives to work in the station

Fiskap

This is something that has bothered me quite a bit recently and I haven't seen many, if any discussions about this.

Why would someone work at the NSS Exodus, when it's in a dangerous space environment subject to meteor impacts, space carp migrations, occasional department wide plasma fires, occasional engine complications and also being (excuse me if I'm wrong) canonically also affected by occasional raider or terrorist attacks? Even if the latter doesn't apply anymore, it's still ridiculously dangerous because you can still see at least a couple of deaths in every round (even if it's extended), and honestly, most characters are so apathetic they don't react to severe workplace hazards, accidents or deaths anymore. Realistically and when compared to other environments, workplace injury and death rates would be high even for occupations that don't directly deal with dangerous elements (engineering, science and security being the departments exposed to the most risk). Even with a well-staffed medical department, it would do little to help during severe accidents. It's just too risky for anyone.

I could only come up with two main logical reasons for this. One, that NT pays far higher salaries (along with hazard pay perhaps) to any employees who are willing to be assigned to dangerous workplaces such as space stations. That way, people who are willing to risk their life for a higher pay are attracted to the NSS Exodus, and eventually are so used to the environment that they can't afford to be emotional about this. This would make sense for some of the lower departments such as supply, civilian or security who don't earn much of a high wage in normal situations. Working as an engine technician or plasma researcher here would be pretty much a deathwish due to how sensible and subject to sabotage their related facilities are, so why would they bother coming here when they have enough education to possibly secure a high-paying job on a safer planet? You could say that some plasma researchers are fanatical about their job, but this is surely not the only plasma research facility in the galaxy.

The second reason is political motivations or industrial espionage. As far as I know, the NSS Exodus is at least somewhat (politically) relevant in the system, so some of the employees are bound to be corporate spies hired to steal research data or sabotage important facilities, political instigators determined to destabilize important NT holdings or spies employed by nations to gain intel about NTs developments. This is already reflected in our antagonist system so it makes sense.

So why do YOUR characters risk their life working in this environment, when something lesser could perhaps do the job? The thrill of danger? Being willing to do anything for a better pay? Anything else? Typically when I asked people about this in the past they couldn't give me many good responses, sometimes even saying that it didn't matter.

Edited by Guest
Honestly? Most of this stuff isn't really supposed to be canon besides security shitness, a few raider attacks (Around 2), and I think 1 tesla breach. Plus, I assume pay with NT is a lot better than other fields of work.

This is still a space station and depressurization incidents are lethal. Even without it, work here is likely overall far more dangerous (if perhaps not outright lethal) than in any other environment (without including terrorist attacks and the such).

Are meteor storms and space carp migrations supposed to be really rare as well, or not canon at all? And NT surely has planet-based facilities with available jobs too, so not everyone who wants to work for them has to go to a space station.

Guest Menown

I didn't want to reveal this OOCly, but Mrrazuraghran's motivation to work on the station is escaping the draft on Ahdomai. Employees for NT get a pass from joining it, so he's working on the Exodus so he doesn't go die in war like a fucking catbeast.

This is still a space station and depressurization incidents are lethal. Even without it, work here is likely overall far more dangerous (if perhaps not outright lethal) than in any other environment (without including terrorist attacks and the such).

Are meteor storms and space carp migrations supposed to be really rare as well, or not canon at all? And NT surely has planet-based facilities with available jobs too, so not everyone who wants to work for them has to go to a space station.

Meteor storms are meant to be rare, same with carp migrations. It's not expected for there to be a lot of breaches as everyone is supposed to be good at their job and not crazy. Plus, in case of depressurization, there's emergency lockers, a medical bay, cloning labs, etc. The environment it's in is supposed to be isolated (Immoral experiments, son) and provide a way for NT to show off their tech. Plus you're forgetting the fact that it's situated near what is supposed to be a mineral rich asteroid. It's probably cheaper to mine for those materials than have to be on a planet and purchase them from a third party or ship them in, which would take time.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Nanotrasen is the most wealthy, powerful, and influential corporation in the known galaxy. Their wages are fair and they are the only corporation that offers cloning, with their rate of cloning failures drastically lower than other factions or corporations. The economy of the galaxy is volatile and the behemoth Sol Alliance has a recession every 20 minutes, while other megacorporations continue to deal with lay-offs and Nanotrasen's growing power cutting into their profits.

In the face of a galaxy rife with economic instability a career with Nanotrasen ensures your job security is robust as long as you don't get suspended for being a shit.

So in essence, Nanotrasen is often the only one hiring. And if it's not, its got better benefits. Its RnD division is the most advanced biomedical and plasma research in the known galaxy.

And that's how most of my personal characters roll.

"This job let me escape a bad situation."

"It was hiring when no one else was."

"Nanotrasen is the only place my research can advance."

"I'm posing as a loyal employee while leaking secrets to my government."

"I need the money."

• 2 weeks later...

Welp. Ender figures that with as many accidents as there are here, it's more rewarding than his old job as a search and rescue ship crewman. Less time spending months in blue space, and more time actually welding metal, which he enjoys,

He actually hates welding metal because of his eyes.

Guest Complete Garbage
Also NT kinda has the best health insurance plan ever.

"Injured at work? Enjoy your free healthcare! Please don't sue! Injured outside of work? Fuck you."

Also NT kinda has the best health insurance plan ever.

"Injured at work? Enjoy your free healthcare! Please don't sue! Injured outside of work? Fuck you."

Injured outside at work, schedule a shift on station, have MDs fix you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Complete Garbage
It was said that IPCs are paid more by NT.

Also, the staff.

Said by who? Also, why would they be paid more? Wouldn't it be the same, or even less?