Character Complaint: Phoebe Essel

Guest 1138

Note: While this is filed as a complaint, it is more to bring awareness to the character's actions and general characteristics, not necessarily a demand for the character to undergo a retcon of personality altogether.

BYOND Key: OneOneThreeEight

Player Byond Key: NursieKitty

Reason for complaint: Specifically, it's this incident report that interested me: http://aurorastation.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=672

As reported in the above thread, this isn't the first time Phoebe has implied or admitted criminal activity on open comms. It can range from mildly disturbing to very creepy. Simply put, having employees that are past felons/have engaged in criminal activity that borders psychopathic, are a liability to the company's interests and to the security of the station. I'd be willing to support an IC investigation along with a review of Doctor Essel's employment contract. I also wish to state that blatant behavior like this isn't to be tolerated in a professional workplace. Not only is it extremely eerie first-hand, it could ruin the reputation of the corporation if word gets out that it willingly employs psychopaths with malpractice suits against them as surgeons.

It just seems unorthodox that diagnosed sociopaths would be onboard the station. In addition, according to her medical records, she has refused any and all psychological and psychiatric examinations and any kind of treatment for her disorder.

Edited by Guest

Admission to criminal activity, true or not, still does warrant an official investigation and review of an employment contract.

Not many people, much less bosses, can detect sarcasm nor do they take kindly to "jokes". Being a creep can get you fired.

First off, can I just say this? Rekt.

Hello. Can I just ask what this is? I'm not sure whether this is meant to be a joke, a snide remark or some other form of intent. What I am sure about is that the complaints boards is a serious discussion area and there is 0 tolerance to jokes regardless of how insignificant they are. Staff can not take your complaint seriously if you are not acting serious.

And to answer the question, no you can't say that.

Admission to criminal activity, true or not, still does warrant an official investigation and review of an employment contract.

Not many people, much less bosses, can detect sarcasm nor do they take kindly to "jokes". Being a creep can get you fired.

Creeps who do their job exceptionally well, and have no other reason to be fired will not get fired.

I would like this issue to be resolved ICly. It's one of character behavior, and it's certainly not outrageous enough to force a full player complaint, now that the IC complaints board exists. Plus, having two complaints against your character up at the same time can be a bit intimidating.

Would we be okay with moving the discussion to the other thread?

I would like this issue to be resolved ICly. It's one of character behavior, and it's certainly not outrageous enough to force a full player complaint, now that the IC complaints board exists. Plus, having two complaints against your character up at the same time can be a bit intimidating.

Would we be okay with moving the discussion to the other thread?

I thought the rule on the incident report/character complaints board was no OOC chatter at all?

I thought the rule on the incident report/character complaints board was no OOC chatter at all?

Yes - however, I believe the core of this issue, up to and including Phoebe's defense, can actually be conducted ICly (which is why I made the other thread as an IC complaint). If you actually have reason to believe part of this discussion cannot be conducted ICly, PM me about it, and I'll see to reopening this thread.

I seem to have misunderstood the way IC complaints were dealt with - which is, you submit them, then staff decides to do something with them. (What's that something? I don't know. Maybe Pumpking knows.)

So until Pumpking says otherwise, feel free to keep discussing the issue here. But be nice, and keep in mind what we're discussing here is a character's personality, not a player's direct actions.

A female voice: "So uh... you won't include my name or anything in the uh... in the official report, right? I have to see Phoebe almost every day, and she holds grudges. Okay... good. She's completely crazy. I mean I've never seen her hurt someone, firsthand, but I've heard so many stories. I've heard that she once did surgery on someone without anesthetic because they made her angry. And you know, I've never seen her stay in a department for more than an hour or so. When she's in medical she ends up going to cryo early, or just disappearing... I've seen her hide in lockers, or just be out of reach when she's needed. When she's the chef, she'll cook for an hour, then just disappear, or hang out in the bar the whole shift. She'll find any excuse not to work, it's like... totally ridiculous. Not only that but she's totally unstable... remember that whole thing with the unathi fighting on the holodeck? She was sitting there, watching them tear each other apart, and making .... sexual comments about it. Yeah... she's got a fixation on unathi. Oh and she's racist. Against humans, so she thinks it's okay and doesn't count. And she's unstable, did I mention that? I've seen her have breakdowns, talk to herself, and go hide in lockers. I dunno how you guys didn't conduct this review like, years ago, honestly. What? Yes, I know what my file looks like... but I do my job. She doesn't. I don't have anything else to say."

I posted this there, before it got deleted. Glad I thought to save it.

Okay we seem to have some confusion here.

Points I'd like to address;

• It's not a complaints board. It's an incident report board. You simply report an incident and leave it at that.
  • As the rules in the Incident Report boards state, don't reply to an incident report. If you have your own incident report, file it under a new one.
  • Do not expect action to be taken. It is why it was chosen to be named Incident Report and not IC complaints. You are providing the CC Board with information about an incident. They will be dealt with when appropriate. (Initially it was going to be staff dealing with them however a team is being organized to deal with them.)
  • There should be no sort of OOC aggression/dislike/hate/etc towards a character when filing an Incident Report. It should be professional. If you need help with it, ask a member of staff (Mods/Admins). If you have an OOC dislike towards the character and feel the need to report them, then it most likely needs to be filed as an OOC complaint. (for example; Character X is constantly making guns every round in science. That would be an OOC issue.) Again, if you are unsure ask a member of staff.

I hope that cleared any sort of confusion and I'll see what edits I can make to the Incident Reports board Guidelines to make it more understandable. And again, please read the rules there. Replies will continue to be deleted on Incident Reports. If there are any issues, concerns or queries feel free to PM me and I'll answer them the best I can. Thank you.

Well I feel like there's a bit of a grey area going on.

I feel like the 'character complaint' is OOC, which I don't want, because Nursie's great and I don't want to attack her. I don't think Phoebe is a bad character. I just think she'd be fired or disciplined by now.

But I don't have a separate incident report to file. And I think that'll be the case often with others in the future. They have witness statements or other things to add to the report but don't have their own incidents to worry about.

Okay. So, first, let me make a case of the following: any complaint that starts with the line of, "First off, let me just say: rekt," deserves to be closed, archived and payed no mind to. Unfortunately, this was not done.

Secondly, the majority of this complaint is IC in nature. However, a certain bit of this does extend to OOC (the lack of potential IC retribution for the character's actions). As of right now, it is the responsibility of the players themselves to orchestrate this, but none of them are held accountable. Otherwise, there would be a long, long laundry-list of characters whose heads would fly, and an even longer list of people who are simply fired (small example version: Vittorio, Covert's Unathi HoS, April Reed, Phoebe, Jace Evans). However, again, because these issues fall into this odd gray area, OOC action is not taken until is completely flies over the line of, "Dumb, oh so very dumb."

Thirdly, Pumpking and Covert need to figure out what to do with the absentminded accident that is the IC Incident Reports Board. Right now, it exists as a soft-feedback section (meaning, no one is required to act on it, and action should not be expected) for the players to base their character development off of. However, the way it's organized is completely confusing, and makes in unusable. Pump, you need to be able to compile additional documents and attachments if they pertain to the specific incident. Just so we stop it from overflowing into stupid-levels.

But this is how things go: SNAFU - Situation Normal: All Fucked Up.

Now, what are we doing to fix this situation, and ensure that shit like this doesn't happen again? Point one, I would move for this thread to be closed (final decision up to FFrances, if they agree or not). Executed in bad form, is the main issue I take with this. Anything executed in bad form is not something that should be provided attention to. Secondly, the player will be monitored to the extent anyone else is monitored.

Then, we will have Pumpking take this feedback that he has gathered. And he will see about managing the situation with the IC Incident Reports Board. And until the Duty Officer program picks up, or something comparable, in terms of staff SoP, is established, it will remain a soft-feedback section. However, with hope going as they are, it'll take about a month before the Duty Officers are capable of conducting their business and the IC reprecussions will be enforced.

And finally, let me say this: the staff actually had a word with Nursiekitty regarding this incident, and their character. And they were aware of the conduct, and the consequences that it would bring with it. We trust them, as we are forced to trust everyone else as of right now, to manage the situation to an acceptable standard. If this does not happen within an acceptable timespan (yes, given the circumstances and the conduct of others, a week or more, I would personally count, and others are free to disagree, an acceptable timespan), then please, feel free to raise the issue again. But I also ask that you, at that point, start raising similar issues in similar fashion. Or wait until we have a group capable.

• 1 month later...