Nerf Lung Damage

JKJudgeX

Well, to be honest, that doesn't sound excessive, at all. It's in your own god damn interest to double-check your air tanks before using them. Tanks even have little indicators to show you if they're full or almost empty.

Breaches are fine. It's just the nature of our setting. Space is dangerous and all that stuff.

ea233f28ceea50a08a6e57042b28b5e3.gif

- Taken on our test server. That's the starting emergency air tank found in everyone's boxes. It's flashing red, so you better fill it with delicious oxygen.

It sounds like you don't play very often, or not in roles that are required to intervene with or work near places that are frequently vented by station events and antagonists. This happens if you expend your tank, which happens, frequently. There's not enough time between "Oh, I'm out of air." and "Oh, my lung is burst and now I will literally die, even if I do get air"... especially when you consider that your lung should have never popped in that scenario. It should have been "Oh, I'm out of air. I guess I'll hold my breath for 30-80 seconds and grab an air tank." You should be able to run out of air, completely suffocate to the literal last possible instant before you can be recovered, and still not have a popped lung.

Even with exposure to vacuum, your lungs only burst if you try to hold your breath... in any case where suffocation is already taking place, you have no breath to hold, so, even being spaced with no suit shouldn't burst your lungs. You're a space man, in kindergarten you learned that if you are ever spaced the first thing you do is exhale so your lungs don't pop. If you're unconscious, the difference in pressure would exhale for you. The more I look into it, the more stupid it is that your lungs burst at all in this game... especially from simple suffocation. And again, it should definitely never happen while you have a space suit on, and it. definitely. does.

My question is... is there suffocation that happens WITHOUT a bursting of the lungs? Lungs bursting should be pretty rare.

(...)

Well, as I said before, it's your job to know when your air tank runs out of air, and to do something about it. You switch tanks before one becomes empty, not after.

Through, I could see a toggleable hold-breath system being implement. If you're fast enough, you could hold your breath for 30-60 seconds before getting suffocation and/or toxin damage or simply passing out to catch breath. Could be useful in various situations, not just during the hull breaches.

The point here, is, Dreamix, that your lungs don't burst when you run out of air, but they do on this codebase, leading to lots of very lame things happening that are fun for literally no one.

The only time my lungs should be able to burst from air-related issues would be also when I'm in a low-pressure situation, and I should see the indicator for that and be given time to react... but that's not how it works, and it feels cheap and broken, and means that there are many, many situations where you can not be aware that lung damage is about to happen and it will.

I don't care about suffocation. It works fine on its own. It's the terminal lung-burst-for-no-logical-reason issue that's being addressed here.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Dreamix, you do not seem to understand. Your lungs pop within 0.4 microseconds of running out of air. That level of speed should not be happening.

There are plenty of tools at your disposal, as an antagonist or a normal crewmember. You can use these tools in un-conventional ways to deal with possible threats. If you believe that the lung damage is so severe to your gameplay, you should actively take measures to adapt to the situation. Oxygen kits are dropped like candy in the main hallways, and are guaranteed in Arrivals and Departures. As an antagonist, you have things like matter implants, to carry objects like tool belts, and freedom implants. So, you could possibly allow yourself to be captured, for treatment then break free.

Now that the thread has been cleaned up lets summarize it´s current state:

• I already posted a statement about this in post #21
  • Popping a lung due to a sudden pressure change is fine (Yes, even if its instant)
  • Popping a lung due to running out of air is not (You should suffocate instead, until you bother to turn off "breathing from the tank")

I am interested in any other cases where popped lungs might happen and where that might be inappropriate.

I do not want to see any personal attacks again or any posts that derail the thread.

The thread is now unlocked

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

Lungs rupture with a 5% chance per proc if your pressure is too low or too high.

if(check_pressure < ONE_ATMOSPHERE / 5 || check_pressure > ONE_ATMOSPHERE * 5)
		if(!is_lung_ruptured() && prob(5))
			rupture_lung()

Ill nerf this probability a little bit as a bandaid

Edit: Added code tags