[Denied] ben10083's Head of Staff Application

BYOND key: ben10083

Character names: BEAKER, B.O.B, B.O.B 2.0 (AI), I-AN, L.O.S.S, S.A.M, SE-B.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: around 2-3 years

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I want to play the roles of IAA and HoP

Why did you come to Aurora?: The HRP appeal of this server convinced me to try it out, and I greatly enjoy playing on this server

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay, to me at least, is people acting out as a character of usually their own creation, roleplay allows people to act as they likely would not in real life, and it allows for infinite possibilities in terms of characters and environments. Roleplay should be about people socializing with others pretending to be a character, all while having fun and socializing with the person both IC and OOC.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: Their purpose is to guide the round to be enjoyable for as many people as possible, they are tasked with leading others of their respective department (or the overall station for IAA) to make sure they are following rules, not power-gaming, and overall making the round involve as many people as possible.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: White-listed players are held at an higher standard given how head of staff players are typically very experienced if their department (or at least their job). They are tasked to make sure the players do not go overboard and violate any server rules, and they are considered the go-to person for questions regarding their department.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: B.E.N

Character age: 5

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): Built in the year 2455, the B.E.N model was designed to be a machine that could effectively do Bureaucratic duties without bias. The machine was sold to Hephaestus Industries and was put to work as a Internal Affairs Agent on the HRS Lemnos. The robot quickly went to work and kept a close eye on the other workers there and rooted out many that did not preform to the best of the company's interest. B.E.N quickly gained reputation and a cold IA Agent that rarely talked to others about anything that wasn't about work, and when it had free time it usually was seen either working on upcoming audits or preparing forms. The only people B.E.N really communicated with was the other IA agents with it, and even then it was not much. B.E.N kept to itself mostly, usually only talking to others if it involved it's job. after 4 years of working at the HRS Lemnos, NanoTrasen bought B.E.N and reprogrammed it with their regulations and policies. Soon after it was sent to the NSS Redemption to work as a IA Agent. The unit soon got used to it's station and it began it's duties, and after a year it was transferred to the NSS Aurora.

What do you like about this character?:

The Unit is resilient and it's personality can allow for interesting gameplay for me and likely others, and B.E.N would be very detailed with it's investigations and will leave no stone unturned, literally and figuratively.

What do you dislike about this character?:

B.E.N's cold attitude results in a misconception that it does not like anyone, but in reality it just simply wants to do it's job and can be seen as a workaholic.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: This character is fully dedicated to the fight of Internal Affairs, and is programmed to ensure regulations and directives are followed to the letter.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I am not dense, I know that in terms of my characters they seem a bit dull and transformitive, but I enjoy having the characters that help in the sidelines, keeping everything working yet not actively taking credit, even if people don;t know all my characters they likely know at least one.

Extra notes: I am aware the backstory is the same, it was the same character so I used same backstory, I talked with others and they agree the backstory wasn't the problem of the previous app. Also, I am not using the IAA slot as a way to get other jobs by a backdoor. I honestly want to try out IAA, treat me as if I am picking a role like HoP or RD, and don't hold back with criticism, it will help me improve.

just a random question, as HoP how would your character interact with the Cargo and Service areas? as they do fall under the command of the HoP and I am curious if you intend to have any kind of interaction with them or if they'll be something you consider more in your job then others.

[mention]Ferguson[/mention] If I played as HoP I would be more hands off for cargo if they had a QM, if they didnt I may help them at least get their bearings and earn a profit, for service, I will also be relatively hands off with the possible exception of having them charge for drinks and food (depending how I make that character). I consider the HoP's job to be the most vital job in terms of helping new players get used to the server, so I would prioritize job assignments more than most else.

I've enjoyed my interactions with BOB, both as its commanding AI and as crew. Beyond this, I've not met many of your other characters so its difficult for me to determine if you would be a good head of staff. I can say unequivocally you roleplay a good robot and for what its worth, support your head of staff application.

I would suggest playing as IPCs more so people can get a sense of your more social roleplaying. It's difficult to convey that with a cyborg most of the time, and I believe would lead to you getting more feedback.

I'm not too sure.

While I can agree with Bygone that B.O.B does indeed feel very robotic, well done on that part, I do feel he is vastly too intense at times. Which kind of gives me a very validhunty vibe. Perhaps tone him down a little, remember that lawed synthetics are literally the lowest of low in terms of chain of command. I have seen you've been better with this, so I'm sure this will sort itself out in due time.

Furthermore I believe your comfort zone so far lies in playing lawed robots, this does not necessarily translate over to being the leader of a department. I feel you might lack some experience actually leading people and thus a decent amount of expertise required to play a head role in this case. I'd recommend for you to perhaps play an actual crewmember more often and request interim positions, so you can get a feel of what it is like to be a head of staff.

Also a slight pet peeve of mind is that you aren't that strict on punctuation, capitalization and grammar in game, these three often make your RP look ''prettier'' so to say. So I'd wish for you to perhaps take that into account, but it is only a minor complaint of mine.

For now I'll have to give a -1.

+1.

I've played with them plenty of times, they know regulations enough to play IAA, and they seem capable of handling any command role. Their RP is also on point as a synthetic, doubt they couldn't do it well as command either.

Alright first, sorry for the wait we've had a bit of a giant wave of applications and those we aren't 100% sure on tend to get stuck a bit.

Let me begin with this, we have agreed as a group that we cannot give you this application in good faith and allow me to explain why.

You have consistently played absolutely nothing else but a Cyborg for the past I want to say year, I have checked your characters and not until recently have you started branching out into other jobs particurarly Forensics Technician and Roboticist if the WI is not lying.

This is nowhere near enough to actually judge how you'll play a head and even when we observed you as a cyborg it was not favorable.

Every other week you seem to be entangled in one ahelp or another about how you play a synthetic and how you interpret laws, we've received reports and witnessed ourselves that you intrude into the jobs of other people doing the job for them instead of assisting them because "It's faster if I do it".

A big part of roleplay is being able to inconvenience yourself for the sake of a story or other characters having a chance, this goes double for heads who are expected to go atleast partially along with the antagonists and not jump on the first chance to destroy them.

So the question remains, if you can't really follow rules, try to skirt around your iron-hard lawsets on purpose and solve everything hands-on. How can we trust you with upholding in-game regulations properly?

I recommend to you that you try to force yourself to play normal crewmembers more actively instead of falling back into your cyborg comfort zone and when you do fall into that comfort zone you need to start thinking how to follow your laws rather than how to follow your laws enough to not get banned.

You are on the correct path as is seen with the positive feedback you have received compared to your old application but you still have a long way to go before we feel comfortable with you enough to give you a head whitelist.

Application Denied