Reagents and Temperatures

I recently created a framework for reagents having temperatures. It's almost done, there are a just a few features I need to code, however this is some feedback needed on what exactly should be added when it comes to this feature.

For far, what exists, is a chemistry heater that heats/cools chemicals. There are currently only 3 recipes that use heating/cooling, and it's ice and water. I could tweak existing recipes, or add new ones (See: meth) and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for features.

Current planned features are:

- Superheated/cooled temperatures adjusting body temperature and/or causing burns.

- Chemicals having increased effectiveness at a certain temperature.

- Phoron temperature science and experimentation.

- Secretchem integration.

Have you thought about giving some reagents specific properties, when being very hot or very cold? Some chemicals could have a chance to splash onto you, when being too hot, or being heated too fast, giving the safety gear some use (like the goggles and gloves, etc). Maybe whe putting together reagents and being out the safe temperature range it could also do something similar (maybe something worse?). That was the first thought I had, just to give chemistry a bit more suspense, instead of just throwing shit together to create something else.

I went insane and built the framework for it. Everything works in respect to changing a reagent's temperature (with exceptions to a few bugs).

Added features include:

Vending machines having temperature control based on wires. Soda machines have coolant while coffee machines heat the reagents up. You can mess with the wires if you want cold coffee.

Consuming hot reagents will raise body temperature. Consuming cold reagents will lower body temperature.

Reagents having different heat absorption properties.

Recipes involving heating/cooling reagents.

Several new recipes involving phoron.

Planned:

Splashing very hot/very cold reagents on people will burn them.

Cooked food will have their reagent temperatures set.

Some chems having temperature related benefits.

This is neat. Just quite a few annoying questions: How will this impact, say, a bartender? Will making a frappe count as a cold drink even if you use hot coffee? What about coffee from the soda dispenser vs the coffee machine? Do the dispenser reagents have a cooled temperature in the case of soda and does it extend to the coffee (see previous question)? And what about the boozeomat? Does that dispense as cold?

This is neat. Just quite a few annoying questions: How will this impact, say, a bartender? Will making a frappe count as a cold drink even if you use hot coffee? What about coffee from the soda dispenser vs the coffee machine? Do the dispenser reagents have a cooled temperature in the case of soda and does it extend to the coffee (see previous question)? And what about the boozeomat? Does that dispense as cold?

All drinks from the beer and soda dispenser, with the exception of ice, will be dispensed room temperature. Any drinks from the coffee machine with be dispensed automatically hot. Chilled coffee drinks will actually need to reach a certain temperature before coming chilled, which can be done with ice.

Alright. I'm going a little crazy with this.

I'm planning on turning chemistry into toxins 0.5 with the introduction of "Phoron Salts". Phoron salts are highly volatile chemicals that explode when either tool hot or too cold. The explosion size is based on the change in temperature that occured. If you're smart enough, have enough phoron, and have large enough containers, you can make maxcap bombs with these (theoretically). If you have a reagent with a serious lack of thermal energy and then mix it with phoron salts, that has a lot of thermal energy, then you'll make a large boom similar to a water/potassium grenade. If you have a reagent with a lot of thermal energy and mix it with phoron salts, then you'll create a massive superheated fireball similar to napalm.

Considering chemistry can already create explosions that violate the maxcap limitation, I don’t think the change is as revolutionary as you believe Burger.

Considering that it adds more depth into chemistry bombs other than just obtaining two bluespace beakers, I'd say that this would improve the chemist experience if there is ever a chemist antag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Gem locked this topic