[Denied] Resi's WhatamIdoing Mod App

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account: Resilynn

Character Name(s): Fernando Gonzales, Ellie Shoshanna, Tyler McMullen, some other randos.

AI Name(s): CERA from ages ago, Design 7 on malf

Discord username + tag: Resi #7437

Timezone: Arizona, so it varies between mountain and pacific.

When are you on Aurora?: ~Noon to midnight.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: A little over two years.

How long have you played on Aurora: Two years.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I'm fairly well versed in mechanics.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: Nope.

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes, probably.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: Never been banned.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: Because it's a great game with expansive mechanics that allow for flexibility comparable to Dungeons and Dragons, except I don't have to coordinate and plan with a small party and can just hop on whenever.

Why do you play on Aurora?: It's the best moderate pop HRP server and has a strong community.

What do moderators do?: Moderate.

As in, they help curtail behavior to be more in line with the rules, whether through giving advice or reprimands. They assist in facilitating rounds.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: It's a time commitment, first off. It means you're also committing to being communicative, patient, and taking initiative.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I've mooched off of the hard work of staff for the last two years without actually contributing to much in the server. I'm entirely convinced that I have the temperament for it, and I want to see good things happen to my server. Also, to annoy Geeves.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: I'm communicative, I'm articulate. I have a firm understanding of the rules, and I have an extraordinary understanding of how to talk to people to best help them understand what is expected of them. I'm empathetic but I've learned to be pretty firm in my decision making.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Exceptionally well. I'm prone to some salt here and there but I'm pretty decent at coping with it. When faced with an issue my go to reaction is to calmly talk it out.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I'm a high school teacher so I'm pretty much professionally trained to be able to do everything mods need to do except in real life I could, you know, go to prison if I did a poor enough job.

Denying my application will mean I am free to not feel guilty about being a lazy fuck mooching off of the hard work of everyone else so really, no pressure either way here.

I will start my feedback by saying that I love Resilynn to death, BUT I do have a couple of concerns regarding whether or not you they would make good staff. The first concern is they can get a little pushy and sometimes unforgiving when it comes to Medical players. There have been a couple of instances of LOOC harshness, not entirely harassment but it has gone too far a couple of times. Now if these worries can be put to rest then they would have my support for a trial.

Look I'll be frank, you're passionate, empathetic and have the ranked up hours.

This also translates to being emotional, hot-headed and often jumping the gun on certain decisions.

Maybe a year ago I would have accepted you into the team, zero issues, but your most recent behaviour has been going for the worse. You've had multiple warnings ever since you started playing your character over very similar offences and multiple times this has been brought to attention of the whitelist team and the CCIA.

Everyone is entitled to playing the character they want but within the bounds of believability, this is starting to edge on not believable.

But this is just a character and plenty of staff-members have had contentious characters and a few of them were even jobbanned or whitelist stripped.

Usually they reworked their character after though. That aside;

Your push on medical doctors and general "elitism" that has been going around medical has transffered into LOOC with a few people claiming (not I'm saying claiming because there is no evidence to support this) that they don't play whenever you're in medical, simply because they don't want to get barked at in LOOC.

Again, no evidence so take this with two handful of salt and the black sea along with it, but to every lie there is a hint of truth.

Yet again, we could step that aside and I was willing to until I found the biggest problem, your own application.

The additional comments part is VERY badly worded, it was most likely an accident but by god is it an ultimatum. I'll try to run this down.

I'm a high school teacher so I'm pretty much professionally trained to be able to do everything mods need to do except in real life I could, you know, go to prison if I did a poor enough job.

In essence this is giving us two options.

Either we pass your application, nothing happens and everyone lives happily ever after because you're American Education Board qualified.

Or we don't pass your trial and we're claiming that we're better judges of a person than the American Education Board.

Again this might be a complete accident and you wanted to relate your IRL work to this hobby, but the way you worded is just makes it seem like we have no option but to accept you because otherwise we're saying you're bad at "what is pretty much what you were professionally trained for".

Denying my application will mean I am free to not feel guilty about being a lazy fuck mooching off of the hard work of everyone else so really, no pressure either way here.

IT'S A HOBBY

For all the drama I cause, other people cause, I take part in, other people take part in, this is a hobby.

We don't bear some mighty cross, there is plenty of perks that come with being a staff-member aswell as plenty of responsibilities but nobody here does it out of guilt, we do it because we like the game, the server and the playerbase.

By golly if someone pressured you into this, if you pressured yourself into this because you think you're lazy and not doing enough for this server just do not.

We do this because we enjoy it, sure I talk shit about hating it but if I really hated it I'd just leave outright, there is a lot of small thank you's that make it worth while.

You should relate to that yourself as you have previously stated from your experience as a teacher, I doubt you do that out of "feeling like a lazy fuck mooching off".

That is about it for now from me.

Why did you apply if you don't mind being denied?

Should I mind being denied? I trust you guys to make the best decisions for the server, I've done so for the last two years.

I'd like to see how I do, I'm curious over what a trial would look like. I'd like to be able to shape and impact a positive server culture in a more official way than spewing my usual amounts of 'hi friends' everywhere. But I've played without any interest in this for years, I'll be content to keep playing like this in the future.

Most importantly, I know I have some small influence on this server. I have a huge group of friends here and very deep ties in the community, I don't think anyone would disagree on that account. I don't intend to abuse those ties, so, I don't want anyone in charge of considering this to take any inherent favor they have for me, personally, into account. So, I clarified, no pressure to accept it. Decide based on my merits, not on who I'm close with.

I will start my feedback by saying that I love Resilynn to death, BUT I do have a couple of concerns regarding whether or not you they would make good staff. The first concern is they can get a little pushy and sometimes unforgiving when it comes to Medical players. There have been a couple of instances of LOOC harshness, not entirely harassment but it has gone too far a couple of times. Now if these worries can be put to rest then they would have my support for a trial.

I have been prone to some salt in the past when I've gotten invested in the round, but I haven't ICly demoted anyone in weeks, and I've gotten into the LOOC habit of providing links to wikis and advice if anything comes up. (Just yesterday, I trained a resident who asked for some virology training and gave them the wiki over looc).

So, in short, I think I've improved on this.

I have been prone to some salt in the past when I've gotten invested in the round, but I haven't ICly demoted anyone in weeks, and I've gotten into the LOOC habit of providing links to wikis and advice if anything comes up. (Just yesterday, I trained a resident who asked for some virology training and gave them the wiki over looc).

I am willing to support this application on the sole point that one can never truly know how someone does on the moderation staff until they go through their trial. +1 from me.

Look I'll be frank, you're passionate, empathetic and have the ranked up hours.

This also translates to being emotional, hot-headed and often jumping the gun on certain decisions.

Maybe a year ago I would have accepted you into the team, zero issues, but your most recent behaviour has been going for the worse. You've had multiple warnings ever since you started playing your character over very similar offences and multiple times this has been brought to attention of the whitelist team and the CCIA.

Everyone is entitled to playing the character they want but within the bounds of believability, this is starting to edge on not believable.

But this is just a character and plenty of staff-members have had contentious characters and a few of them were even jobbanned or whitelist stripped.

Usually they reworked their character after though. That aside;

Your push on medical doctors and general "elitism" that has been going around medical has transffered into LOOC with a few people claiming (not I'm saying claiming because there is no evidence to support this) that they don't play whenever you're in medical, simply because they don't want to get barked at in LOOC.

Again, no evidence so take this with two handful of salt and the black sea along with it, but to every lie there is a hint of truth.

Yet again, we could step that aside and I was willing to until I found the biggest problem, your own application.

The additional comments part is VERY badly worded, it was most likely an accident but by god is it an ultimatum. I'll try to run this down.

In essence this is giving us two options.

Either we pass your application, nothing happens and everyone lives happily ever after because you're American Education Board qualified.

Or we don't pass your trial and we're claiming that we're better judges of a person than the American Education Board.

Again this might be a complete accident and you wanted to relate your IRL work to this hobby, but the way you worded is just makes it seem like we have no option but to accept you because otherwise we're saying you're bad at "what is pretty much what you were professionally trained for".

IT'S A HOBBY

For all the drama I cause, other people cause, I take part in, other people take part in, this is a hobby.

We don't bear some mighty cross, there is plenty of perks that come with being a staff-member aswell as plenty of responsibilities but nobody here does it out of guilt, we do it because we like the game, the server and the playerbase.

By golly if someone pressured you into this, if you pressured yourself into this because you think you're lazy and not doing enough for this server just do not.

We do this because we enjoy it, sure I talk shit about hating it but if I really hated it I'd just leave outright, there is a lot of small thank you's that make it worth while.

You should relate to that yourself as you have previously stated from your experience as a teacher, I doubt you do that out of "feeling like a lazy fuck mooching off".

That is about it for now from me.

Hi Coalf, I'm glad we're getting the chance to talk about this.

I have never had a repeated warning on my account. When my whitelist was revoked, it was deemed that I hadn't been warned and my whitelist was reinstated. I believe this was for a reason, and I have had no recurring issues since receiving that warning. So I'm not entirely sure my behavior has been taking a turn for the worse.

As for IRs, they're in character. My character is not a reflection of me, the player. It's an RP server, after all. I listed my other characters because I think they prove, pretty well, that I can absolutely play a good, law abiding command player when that's the character. In the meantime, I have been reworking Fernando Gonzales, slowly and organically, to be a better, more lawful member of command.

My additional notes is absolutely not meant to be an ultimatum. For the record, American education is shit and the amount of training that was demanded for me to be able to teach was, frankly, pathetic. I only meant that, well. I worked in an intercity high school last year, one of the worst in the country. I have the patience and the temperament to deal with kids screaming and me and threatening me in real life, and I still love and care for them because they're my students. I only cited my profession as an indicator of my temperament.

No one's pressuring me into applying, I don't feel pressure to contribute, aside from the fact that I adore this server and want to contribute.

Thank you for cleaing that up, to clear myself up the "Taking turn for the worse" doesn't mean after you created Fernando were warned yada yada whitelists.

It was meant as from the day you stopped playing any other of your characters regurarly and started almost solely playing Fernando, I believe as I've not seen you play anyone else and I don't recall anyone stopping their complains about not seeing your HoP anymore.

Thank you for cleaing that up, to clear myself up the "Taking turn for the worse" doesn't mean after you created Fernando were warned yada yada whitelists.

It was meant as from the day you stopped playing any other of your characters regurarly and started almost solely playing Fernando, I believe as I've not seen you play anyone else and I don't recall anyone stopping their complains about not seeing your HoP anymore.

I play a dorky cargo kid every few days. I retired Ellie for a number of reasons, the primary excuse being an arc related to synthetic lore. But also, she just, had done what I'd built her to do. Eventually Fernando's arc will be over too and I'll almost entirely solo another character. It's my playstyle to focus on one at a time.

Alright. An interesting app, since I was present for the discussion that happened that I presume kicked off your desire to make this application.

I'd agree. I've been playing chemist daily and pretty much play a round with Fernando once a night. The LOOC salt has been reduced. I still think you need to continue to work on this, though. I have a lot of respect for you, as you're one of the people who I see in OOC asking for people to be kind to each other... but then sometimes I see the same behavior from you. It's getting better, and I think you're a person who can take feedback and improve; the lack of repeat notes/warnings is a good indicator of this. You can still keep doing better, IMO, but I think you're definitely dedicated to being critical of yourself.

You can be hot-headed sometimes, as can we all. I see it more as I pay attention to your hosted discord server, where people vent their gripes about the server. The other day, I found myself agreeing with Abo, Alb, and Goret. You and people close to you were, in my opinion, putting the staff on blast unfairly. I worry if this will affect your ability to work as part of a team. However, this is just a worry; I think a trial would showcase whether or not you really can handle working alongside staff members that you may or may not like. I will say that I like that the conversation in question helped encourage you to make this app; it shows that you want to actually contribute and do something to help, rather than just complain. I think a trial would be good; it could give you some needed perspective on what the staff deals with and how they handle things the way they do.

I do worry about meta issues. You're very close to someone who has problems with staff. There's a cliquey vibe going on sometimes with medical + your discord. I know you say you can be impartial, but I really do want you to consider this. You may have to do things that can lead to close friends being banned, warned, punished, etc. Sometimes you'll be the only mod on, and you've already stated that you want people to answer ahelps in a timely manner. You might not have a choice but to answer and be impartial, so do consider this as you go forward.

I was more concerned about this app before seeing your interview (Which was very impressive) and dialogue with coalf. I have no doubt that this will be a contentious app to some; even I'm not totally sold- I like you, Resi, but I can't be dishonest with you. I have no idea how you'll do, or if you're a good fit for a moderator position. But I can support you getting a trial, at the very least. If anything, understanding how staff operates firsthand will be a good thing for you.