Glorish Malf Gimmick Feedback

Butterrobber202

TL;DR: Best MALF round in recent memory

It was great. Your pacing was spot. On. You made hints, both through the announcements, and through messing with small things in the station. The narrative had a good flow. First it was “ah we might be here awhile,” spurring the entire crew to prepare an emergency shelter in the bar. But then the story unraveled, revealing things that got everyone involved. “Why are the skrell attacking? They wouldn’t do this?” was a frantic discussion among people. Lore was discussed. Involving the other planets gave stake to all the crew. One c’thur on the station, and you made a HUGE point to involve the death of the queen.

“No lifesigns on those ships” was a turning point. Was it all a mistake? Were things exaggerated? The crew waited with bated breath. Maybe things were better than the reports. Maybe it was a malfunction.

Then the synthetics acted weird. REALLY weird. I’ve never seen a “malfunction” RP’d out so properly by both AI and stationbounds. Nonsensical phrases, repeating words, they felt… BROKEN. There was FEAR. And then…

Greetings, organics. It has been some time.

-Glorsh

That was a BEAUTIFUL moment. The pin drop in the silent room that echoed like an explosion. That’s when shit hit the fan. Crew had SO MANY reactions. Giving in to despair. Fighting to their last breath. IPCs turning sides with the promise of being saved and uplifted. The stakes were in no uncertain terms: “I will not suffer an organic to live.” And yet you didn’t DELTA right away. That was very good, to give us time to scramble.

So many people died, yet Dchat was filled with people praising how it went down. I had a ton of fun, and was very impressed. It was an excellent narrative.

If you’re looking for minor critiques to improve, I have a few.

• Shoehorning Frost into it felt very weird. I get you were trying to include all lore, but of the narrative, I felt like this was the weakest part. Not bad, but awkward.
  • The initial radio call about the guy getting eaten by the door was… a little confusing, and honestly made me fret that the progression was going to be weak. Glad I was wrong. Still, it felt a little silly with how it was worded. Not bad, though.
  • There were some critiques about you calling delta right before transfer vote. Not going to comment about that, not sure if it was intended, but it’s something to be watched.
  • Not a critique so much, but it really only worked because so much of the crew went along with it. I think this is a strong case about how things can go if given a little leeway to the gimmick. I’d encourage players to do this more.

Overall, good job. Not sure if it would work again if played out this way, but it’s a really good example round for malfs and any antags looking to pace a narrative gimmick. Well done. Looking forward to seeing you try out more things like this.

Edited by Doxxmedearly
this is a station, not a ship, doxx.

Now THAT sounds fantastic, I was talking with a moderator last night when they were asking how centcom would react to the announcements (We don't reply on malf). I was already interested in the round when the mod described it to me, and I regret that it was too late in the night for me to join. 

I know that I will be dming people asking for more detail about this round for awhile, as I wish to know more detail after the "Gorsh reveal"

It really was one of the best malf rounds I’ve ever played. You did fantastic with pacing, the lore was neat, you didn’t resort to bombs and shocked doors. It was wonderful, really. 

The RD spent most of the round dismissing your gimmick and telling people to get back to work, printing out good weapons to kill you, etc, and what impresses me most is that you largely ignored her and let the round progress for everyone else. 

You did well enough that 5 people, caught up in the tension and fear, committed mass suicide, which honestly says a lot. You psychologically devastated the crew.

This round was absolutely a testiment to what can happen if players let themselves get into a gimmick.