Re-mapping Medical and Engineering:

Soultheif96

Proposition:

Medical Change: Remove two long-term care patient rooms, one examination room (preferably the small one). Add a lock down to quarantine part of virology in sub-level

Engineering Change: Add walls in the back of atmospherics on the main level, make entrances to solar arrays (Telecommunications and Surface) exposed and locked behind engineering access doors. Add a cable wire pile of three/four for the surface solar arrays.

Reasons:

A conversation with ParadoxSpace (In public discord) regarding of the removal of certain parts of medical has made me wonder about it for a bit. I have to agree that yes, four long-term care patient rooms and two examination rooms are a bit redundant and should be removed to lessen the amount of space medical takes. It is unnecessary and during my time in medical, I do not see two examination rooms in use often, along with the lower level patient rooms (Except for the occasional time we use it for really needing to isolate the patient for certain reasons). So for that, they should be removed, unless someone would like to provide a counter argument.

Secondly. adding a lock-down for the lower level quarantine would be handy to isolate them from the general populace for good, this would be doable from the sitting area of the cycling/decontamination room. This would be useful in events where it would get hectic and medical/the station desperately needs a fortification to hide behind for safety from what would soon-to-be killers.

Apart from medical, lets also focus on engineering. I have seen atmospherics frequently get vented from carp/cavern dweller break-ins thanks to the one window on the main level atmospherics connection ports. To solve this problem and rid of a nuisance to fill a ridiculously large room know as Atmosia, a wall would be placed in replacement of the windows that separates the most cherished part of the station from space. 

Lastly, new engineers would forget where or find the solar arrays and telecommunications are because they are hidden in the maintenance tunnels. To absolve that, making the solar array/telecommunications and surface solar array would be exposed and barred behind engineering access doors to prevent unauthorized personnel from entering with grills/windows shocked as extra measure. This will allow the engineers to easily find the solar arrays and set them up when they need to or want to. Additionally to that, three/four piles of cable coils would be added and placed on the table to lay the surface solar arrays for ease of use.

Final Notes:

These changes will help lower the map size of medical while benefiting the engineering department. This is to reduce the redundancy and provide ease of access to the new players and current players. Thank you for taking the time to review the suggestion and providing feedback. 

In regards to the presence of two examination rooms, I echo the sentiment that two feels like too many, as they're rarely utilized to begin with, let alone both of them at the same time. 

I mapped most of the current iteration of Medbay all the way back in September, which can be found here:

In it, the initial layout accounted for one exam room, with medical storage being connected to the ICU (where the smaller exam room is now), the current break room being a lobby for psych patients, which can be seen here.

(EDIT: I have no idea why the rest of my message is in a spoiler, but I can't fix it on mobile.)

8hypkZs.png

cTbmvMV.png

Two exam rooms were added instead at request for more RP potential, but if others don't mind, I have little hassle with tweaking the layout for this one thing.

On the topic of a lockdown for the virology quarantine. I can agree with lockdowns in an area like that on the basis of things like quarantine and such, but antag activity or an armed gunman shouldn't be a variable that has bearing on the addition of such a thing. Realistically, you don't install a lockdown in a medical area on a space station for "just in case a gunman comes through."

As for turning the window in main level atmos into a wall, no real objections from me. Getting the whole sublevel vented through the catwalks due to a carp every second round is a bitch.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest exposing the solars and telecoms, however. Could you elaborate further on what you mean by this? They're in locations where it doesn't seem so possible to simply have a connecting hallway to the surface for instance - plus one array is on the roof. They're already locked to engineering level access, though solars are not exactly high-security areas that would warrant electrified grilles - that seems excessive in the extreme.

Each solar array also already begins with two lengths of cable coil available just outside their airlocks, though these aren't enough on their own, and I did always intend to up the amount after my solars remap, but I just never got around to it before my last computer fried.

Edited by furrycactus

Comming from the Engineer side of things, this change would be great... i always wondered why the solars and comms where hidden a little. The wire idea is also great as new players tend to forgett them. Only problem i see with it is the balancing, sabotage to the Comms would require to sneak in the engineers department which tends to get sealed of a lot. Walls to atmos? Please do... had enough officers breaking windows and running outside to beat up a carp, only to have the entire area freezing. +1

25 minutes ago, furrycactus said:

In regards to the presence of two examination rooms, I echo the sentiment that two feels like too many, as they're rarely utilized to begin with, let alone both of them at the same time. 

I mapped most of the current iteration of Medbay all the way back in September, which can be found here:

In it, the initial layout accounted for one exam room, with medical storage being connected to the ICU (where the smaller exam room is now), the current break room being a lobby for psych patients, which can be seen here.

(EDIT: I have no idea why the rest of my message is in a spoiler, but I can't fix it on mobile.)

Hide contents

8hypkZs.png

cTbmvMV.png

Two exam rooms were added instead at request for more RP potential, but if others don't mind, I have little hassle with tweaking the layout for this one thing.

On the topic of a lockdown for the virology quarantine. I can agree with lockdowns in an area like that on the basis of things like quarantine and such, but antag activity or an armed gunman shouldn't be a variable that has bearing on the addition of such a thing. Realistically, you don't install a lockdown in a medical area on a space station for "just in case a gunman comes through."

As for turning the window in main level atmos into a wall, no real objections from me. Getting the whole sublevel vented through the catwalks due to a carp every second round is a bitch.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest exposing the solars and telecoms, however. Could you elaborate further on what you mean by this? They're in locations where it doesn't seem so possible to simply have a connecting hallway to the surface for instance - plus one array is on the roof. They're already locked to engineering level access, though solars are not exactly high-security areas that would warrant electrified grilles - that seems excessive in the extreme.

Each solar array also already begins with two lengths of cable coil available just outside their airlocks, though these aren't enough on their own, and I did always intend to up the amount after my solars remap, but I just never got around to it before my last computer fried.

In response to the solar array beginning with two lengths of cable coils, that is true for the telecommunications solar arrays but not true for the surface solar array as there are none at all. As for additional security, that can be placed with just regular window/grill and door or perhaps no door at all. In place of that, it could be brought out more or a hallway made to the solar array ladders would be made to make it obvious that they take you to the designation.

It does not need to be added but it would be new player friendly with clear directions. :D

Here's the quarantine section of the medical sublevel on full lockdown, So I believe it already has the capabilities you were looking for.

y1giMLj.png

A large restructuring of medical is something I'm working on, which sees to the other points you've made. Once I've finished some other projects it's something I'm intending to go into full production on.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

The two exam roonm removals is interesting but you say in the op that longterm care gets used.... they are mechanically a holding cell if you strip away everything else. You need that space. What is it taking up space that frictions with it??

Being able to hold only four longterm patients is hardly that many. If it was utilized in the meta more freverently it would be full of all the people the station writes off as crazies who otherwise get brigged in weird arrests.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
  • Gem locked this topic