Give the TCFL Combat Ripley an actual gun

As of right now, the TCFL combat ripley only has drills and a jury-rigged welder laser for weaponry.
I suggest we do away with the jury-rigged not gun and give them an actual mech-mounted laser carbine, or a plasma cutter if you want them to still not have a proper effective weapon.
Anything but a jury-rigged laser.

1 hour ago, Kaed said:

What's wrong with jury rigged lasers?

Nothing, for your average joe or a disgruntled miner.
However the TCFL mech is a combat mech and has combat mech targeting boards and weapon capability, as well as belonging to an actual military entity. It should at least have something that doubles as a tool and weapon, as opposed to something jury rigged together.

• 2 months later...

I disagree. Giving them a Laser Carbine would suggest that they are an (under-funded) military entity. A jury-rigged welder laser is what mining cobbles up to fight Raiders. I doubt a military institution would use something so crappy in the first place, they'd look at it and go "what the fuck?".

The jury-rigged lasers are pretty shit, I agree. It's simple enough to resprite it so that the arm doesn't look odd, and a plasma cutter would be far better.

It also restricts their range to close-quarters, which is pretty typical of a combat RIPLEY anyway, but that's not a bad tradeoff considering that plasma cutters are still robust in the intended range they are meant to be in.

Edited by Scheveningen

in most cases you're better off just dumping the laser in exchange for utility modules. A drill+RCD+teleporter+energy relay APLU is unstoppable in robust hands. You should try getting creative with the kit, though, a laser carbine would be better in this context.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Theyre not the best funded.  The exosuit itself was bought used. I guess a laser carbine would be ok. Why not make the jury rig don carbine level damage but keep it otherwise as is?

18 hours ago, DronzTheWolf said:

Hell, just switching it over to a mech-mounted plasma cutter would make it a lot better. 
From a military perspective, it's a tool that doubles as a weapon like a trench shovel.

It actually would be dramatically worse. The jury rigged laser sucks, but the heavy plasma cutter does half its damage.

• Gem locked this topic