[RETRACTED] VTCobaltblood's Command Re-Application

BYOND key: VTCobaltblood
Character names: Robert Bretscher, Qusk Yuvuzu, Shaker
How long have you been playing on Aurora?: 9 months or so now i think
Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: people kept asking me to, and i kept delaying it
Why did you come to Aurora?: i didn't want to go to bay, so i chose aurora and sticked
Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: i know just how bad and outdated they are
Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? a couple of non-recent notes, one of them from my previous command trial
Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.
Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:
roleplay is about characters interacting in a defined setting.
1. characters: everyone plays the role of a character. roleplaying as yourself is pointless. making decisions as yourself and not as a character is boring.
2. interacting: characters come to life through their interactions. without interactions, nobody would know or care who your character is. 
3. defined setting: this one is more in the territory of "what should rp be about for me". the most fun in character creation and interaction, for me, comes from playing with the tropes of an established setting, in this case auroraverse. without things outside the station to talk about, roleplay is unfun
What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:
any job has the same ultimate purpose: engage in roleplay and allow others to do so. heads of staff share that. to be more specific for head positions, they should direct and provide interesting interactions for their entire department. they can encourage and incentivize people to work together like no other job can.
What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:
i'm gonna say something controversial here, i don't think whitelistees have any particular responsibilities that other players do not. we should obey the same rules. we should all be willing to mentor. we should all be an example of good behavior, and we should all be good to each other. not just whitelisted players.
Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?
hmmm, tau ceti is pretty quiet right now. the largest event in recent history is the arrival of aut'akh. although kono's career wouldn't be affected much by it, he takes a particular interest in them, considering the non-sapient, primitive Oss to be a step into a new era of ai development. 
What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?
rd and hop 
Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:
kono iuu'sunborn, research director
How would you rate your own roleplaying?: it's ok
Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? yea
Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?
they're terrible and it's my fault, especially with the rd one, but yes
Extra notes:
i dont expect this to get popular 

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz

Hello, let me open the +1/-1 posts section.

I've roleplayed with VT, mostly with Bretscher, and I have to say the behaviour of this character wouldn't fit a command role ever. It's just a character, and I don't like to judge players by their characters, BUT, after reading the app, imo, it has a total lack of interest, it's written like: I don't want to be part of command, but I'm doing it for you.

I will never support someone with this behaviour, someone who writes an app like this. You're making me think that Bretscher is just putting your IRL behaviour in a character.

If this app is edited, quote me so I can read it again and give a new opinion.

EDIT 1: VT I wanted to know more about you and checked your other apps. Your Vaurca app had a clear motivation and interest behind, it's quite better written, and when reading it, you really want to give it a +1. This one is the opposite case. If you don't have a real interest on command whitelist, just avoid it until you want it enough to write a decent app, man.

Edited by TheOrleans
27 minutes ago, TheOrleans said:

I've roleplayed with VT, mostly with Bretscher, and I have to say the behaviour of this character wouldn't fit a command role ever

im aware and i have purposefully designed the character that way, so as you can see the app doesnt feature bretscher as rd

27 minutes ago, TheOrleans said:

You're making me think that Bretscher is just putting your IRL behaviour in a character.

so im making you think im a narcissistic combative childish asshole that i designed to be mostly unlikeable? sure i guess

Edited by VTCobaltblood
25 minutes ago, VTCobaltblood said:

im aware and i have purposefully designed the character that way, so as you can see the app doesnt feature bretscher as rd

so im making you think im a narcissistic combative childish asshole that i designed to be mostly unlikeable? sure i guess

VT, I have written a very long and developed answer to your app. I even took the time to check your past apps. I do this when I reply an app cause the person who wrote it took his time to develop a decent one (I did it even knowing you didn't put much effort on this).

Yes, your behaviour and the way you wrote a voluntary app, without any effort or interest, makes me thing you have a bad behaviour (not calling you narcissistic, combative, childish or asshole though). You are not answering any of the other things I stated, do you agree with the fact that your application shows a total lack of interest? Do you think this is the best you can do? Cause after reading your other apps, I don't think so, so, my question remains: Why do you post an app if you don't have enough interest to take the time to do it properly?

Until you answer the question, I will think that the answer is: Cause I think I deserve it due to my work as Lore Writer, and my many other whitelists and all.

You know what? I would be able to understand that answer, but you are not above the formats or the procedures. I think you have the support of many ones around here (support I don't have, for example), it would have been so easy to post a decent app, you could have written it in 45 minutes, not even an hour, and your post would have been flooded with +1 replies, mine amongst them.

Edited by TheOrleans

I agree that the app seems lazily written. Which is weird, because I know you're a person who puts effort into most of the things you do. It feels like you don't even really want it from the way you've presented yourself. And no, it's not just due to capitalization.

As far as you as a player, I owe it to you to be honest. We've disagreed in the past. Sometimes you've got a level head, sometimes it feels like you're confrontational. Lately it seems to be the former, which I'm happy about. I wish your OOC conduct was better sometimes; you can be a bit insulting I think without realizing it. I know you're not Bretscher, and I think overall you've improved since I first knew you. It's something I'd like you to be mindful about, regardless. 

I'm 95% sure that you do care about facilitating RP and making the round fun for others. You're probably one of the most knowledgeable science players we have. I do have concerns that you might be impatient with people new to the department, or perhaps with players you don't like. You're skilled, but I sense that you also get frustrated when you're around other people who might not be; ICly, this is fine. OOCly, it is not, and I feel like it can be a bit of both.

Bretscher is a good character. Qusk I feel is a bit of a meme. I'd like to know more about the RD you've created, personally.

You care a lot about the setting, lore, and server, which I feel is pretty important. Your RP is good. Overall, I think I trust you with this. I'll support with a +1 for at least a trial, if you really do want the whitelist.

This is a very bare bones Command application.

3 hours ago, VTCobaltblood said:

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: people kept asking me to, and i kept delaying it

3 hours ago, VTCobaltblood said:

Extra notes:
i dont expect this to get popular 

These two points alone make me really question why the application was done in the first place. It feels less like you want the application, and more like you're doing it for the sake of doing it.

As for your characters? They're-- predictable and usually confrontational. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just ALL I've seen.

I'd work on expanding this application to really show your interest in Command. If the application has no spark, will the Command character? This is your chance to show those that plus or neg the app how much you want this position. I'm not feeling it.

And with that comment, along with your characters? It's a -1 for me.

1 hour ago, VTCobaltblood said:

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

1 minute ago, VTCobaltblood said:

i did it properly, if you don't like my lack of capitalization then it's your call. you could have actually read my app though.

It's not about the 'lack of capitalization', I've read your app, and other apps of yours, and it's clear that you didn't put all your effort in this one VT, admit it and edit it, you will get tons of +1 

1 hour ago, Doxxmedearly said:

I'd like to know more about the RD you've created, personally.

well i think it's a good question to answer because my current characters are in no way indicative of my, hopefully, future command play. so i'm gonna tell you about the character i want to use for command.

Kono Iuu'Sunborn is a Mars-born skrell dude. aged 44, he is one of the first skrell to be born in human space. his place of birth was a small shuttle operated by his three traverse-born merchant parents - but as it was docked to an olympian port at the time, mars is his formal birthplace. his family were small-scale independent merchants with no real specialization in particular. the sort you would see docking at various stations to sell and buy goods for fairly cheap. 
he and his parents were extremely prideful and grateful for the fact that he has not been born in jargon federation, as his parents have always taught him that bigger skrellian communities tend to only stagnate, drowning in their wakeful groupthink. hence his name suffix, Sunborn, which was almost pushed on him by his parents. 
in his travels with his family, he has always had a keen interest in the mechanical. when he was a child, he would often take apart various small devices or gadgets to see how they operate. in his teenage years, this would become a full-blown obsession, and kono would almost swallow various books describing low-scale mechanical construction and specifications. 
ultimately he decided that he does not want to be a mere merchant or a pilot, and wanted to go into an university. his parents met this with lukewarm support. to them, it was like losing a child, but they also believed that this is a natural consequence of teaching their child to think independently. they would start preparing him for university by buying various actual student books for him, hoping that he could pass exams to at least get somewhere prestigious.
applying for a place in the well-known mars university, kono felt quite anxious. he did not really know what to expect. this was his first experience with teachers, with formal learning.
however, he passed his exams with flying colors! so much so that in addition to his desired engineering degree, the university offered him a secondary program in management so that he could get a well-paying engineering/management position after getting a diploma. he accepted the offer, and has graduated with a bachelors in both.
during university, he was known as a pretty shy guy. even though he constantly traveled from place to place during his childhood, he didn't tend to talk to people a whole lot, being reserved and even somewhat cold. not to mention, his dual education was hard to keep up with, siphoning the time he could use to socialize.
because of this, he felt personally uneasy with immediately going to get a job. in a move of insecurity, he has decided to postpone getting a job by pursuing a master's degree... and then postpone it with getting a phd...
after getting a phd of engineering in the mars university, nanotrasen has taken note of his achievements, particularly the fact that he has both a phd and a bachelors in management. aged 33, he has been offered a job of research director at a small research outpost on a nondescript planet in the frontier. he has accepted the offer simply because he really needed the money at this point, and the salary was looking pretty nice.
the researcher command he worked with was extremely small - no more than ten people. yet still, kono has never been known for his prowess in working with people. he has been often described as being reclusive and easily conforming to demands of his employees. he hopes to overcome these flaws and to become a better leader, but even with ten years of experience, he is still not particularly confident at his job.
yet, exceptional praise has been sung about the quality of his scientific developments and advancements. well, by nanotrasen, at least - a zero-g adapted construction drone of his design has been reported to increase the profits of his outpost by a large margin, and the design has since been also deployed on other facilities. this has led to crazily huge expectations of him, with nanotrasen ultimately deciding to transfer kono to work on nss aurora.
kono has accepted the offer, thinking that aurora, being a big station, had research subdepartments, or multiple research directors.
it does not.
essentially, he has been thrown into a sink or swim situation that he wasn't really prepared for. nss aurora's scientist team is massive, and he is not a particularly good or stern director - but he hopes to become better. on such a big station, however, it is difficult. often, he would seek advice from other command members, and even his fellow scientists. although he is willing to teach and has a good grasp on the theory of managing a big group, he doesn't really know how to apply it in practice. learning to overcome his work-related stress, and learning to be not just a good scientist, but also a good leader, would be his character arc on the aurora.

Edited by VTCobaltblood
48 minutes ago, SatinsPristOTD said:

I'd work on expanding this application to really show your interest in Command. If the application has no spark, will the Command character? This is your chance to show those that plus or neg the app how much you want this position. I'm not feeling it.

firstly, i have previously got a command trial, so i feel i'd waste time re-iterating the previous application's points in here.

48 minutes ago, SatinsPristOTD said:

As for your characters? They're-- predictable and usually confrontational. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just ALL I've seen.

secondly, THIS is what i'm talking about when i'm saying i don't expect my application to get popular. yes, i haven't played friendly people, or capable leaders, on-station before. judging my command application by these characters, considering i am not planning to promote them to command, i feel, is unfair, as opposed to judging my actual quality of roleplay. and it is even more unfair to judge my own behavior as a person based on characters i play as on-station. nonetheless, it has happened, with both you and orleans. i have spent my entire previous app saying "i'm not going to play bretscher as command" over and over. not repeating it here is, i feel, indicative that i am willing to move on from that character and play someone else, like i do now with qusk, unlike the previous time when i just couldn't stop playing bretscher and retracted my trial because of that.

Edited by VTCobaltblood
1 minute ago, VTCobaltblood said:

firstly, i have previously got a command trial, so i feel i'd waste time re-iterating the previous application's points in here.

secondly, THIS is what i'm talking about when i'm saying i don't expect my application to get popular. yes, i haven't played friendly people, or capable leaders, on-station before. judging my command application by these characters, considering i am not planning to promote them to command, i feel, is unfair, as opposed to judging my actual quality of roleplay. and it is even more unfair to judge my own behavior as a person based on characters i play as on-station. nonetheless, it has happened, with both you and orleans. i have spent my entire previous app saying "i'm not going to play bretscher as command" over and over. not repeating it here is, i feel, indicative that i am willing to move on, unlike the previous time when i just couldn't stop playing bretscher and retracted my trial because of that. 

I point you to Orleans command application if you don't think your current characters don't effect your command application. They do. It's all we have to judge you ON.

4 minutes ago, SatinsPristOTD said:

point you to Orleans command application if you don't think your current characters don't effect your command application.

this is inapplicable here. orleans has played nick volvalaad, and has also planned to promote nick volvalaad to command. i, however, am not going to promote my current characters to command if this isn't clear enough. i am aware that my current characters are not fit for command and i have purposefully designed them as such.

Edited by VTCobaltblood

I'm not going to vote on that one as I don't know the player, but as other said. The application looks like a low effort compared to the others that are posted and there is the impression of a lack of interest emanating from it.

Edited by Screemers