[Accepted] Karolis' Moderator application

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information
Byond Account:Karolis2011
Character Name(s):Natalie Skyle, Linton Braxton, Lauraine Rearden
AI Name(s):System-127 (AI), Unit-127 (Robot)
Discord username + tag: Karolis2011#2011
Timezone: EEST/EET
When are you on Aurora?: Mostly 18:00 to 21:00, sometimes stay up to 02:00

Experience
How long have you played SS13?:6 ish years
How long have you played on Aurora:for about 2 years and a bit.
How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?:I am ex contributor to Bay, current Aurora coder.
Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?:No.
Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?:Kinda, I am not very active on forums, but often follow discord channels and staff channels. May this be my 10th post on forums.
Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:I think that's a no on Aurora. I fell like I am antag banned, but it might be just bad RNG.

Personality
Why do you play SS13?:I like RP aspect of it, it has neat mechanics, my most favourite/hated one is atmospherics. Was initially introduced by a IRL friend that didn't RP much.
Why do you play on Aurora?:Because I like High RP servers, where pace is not fast, also previously played on Bay. I am enjoying community, effort and love everyone puts up for this server.
What do moderators do?:Moderators react to reports, investigate if they are valid, assist players not knowing how to play, protect from griefers, resolve conflicts and handing related complaints and forum posts. They might be involved in some behind the scenes action that I might not be aware off.
What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?:It would be a honour to serve this community to my best abilities. I enjoy seeing players enjoying events and nice environment.
Why do you want to be a moderator?:Currently there seems to be lack of available moderators online during my online hours. Also I want to try out myself in other sections of staff.
What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:I am often strict about rules, don't give much leave way. I often try to be helpful, try explain what they did is wrong and making it clear.
How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:If I am no longer personally capable of handling situation, I often back out of it. I would call for others help to assist me.

Anything Else You Want to Add:
No words here

You're not active at all in the Discord except very sparsely or when summoned, this is your tenth post on the forums. I don't know any of your characters besides your AI and borg, and nothing really about their personalities. I don't think you'd be a solid fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Poor handling of ahelp.

image.png.975694cb1ec067544fd9265d1284e961.png

You recognized an issue with their behavior, failed to contact them prior to checking over their notes, which apparently took three minutes, even though off the bat their statement was not acceptable behavior and warranted a verbal warning. No one should be taking up limited slots in order to get antag roles- ESPECIALLY if the role they want is off station anyways, meaning the only time they're gonna spawn in that role, is when they don't want to play that role. Then, when you did try to handle them, they left. So, rather than noting or warning them. You tell me to file a player complaint against them, something that is wholly unnecessary and a waste of my time, an unneeded amount of stress on that player caused by a few days or weeks of waiting for an outcome to a complaint, and puts the handling of this very moderate issue on the back of another staff member.

Spoiler
16 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

Poor handling of ahelp.

image.png.975694cb1ec067544fd9265d1284e961.png

You recognized an issue with their behavior, failed to contact them prior to checking over their notes, which apparently took three minutes, even though off the bat their statement was not acceptable behavior and warranted a verbal warning. No one should be taking up limited slots in order to get antag roles- ESPECIALLY if the role they want is off station anyways, meaning the only time they're gonna spawn in that role, is when they don't want to play that role. Then, when you did try to handle them, they left. So, rather than noting or warning them. You tell me to file a player complaint against them, something that is wholly unnecessary and a waste of my time, an unneeded amount of stress on that player caused by a few days or weeks of waiting for an outcome to a complaint, and puts the handling of this very moderate issue on the back of another staff member. 

In my defence, I was heading to sleep. It was my mistake to even take your ticket in my such state. As time stamps tell, I took it after some time and seeing that none was handling it. At that time negativ already has left. I didn't say I didn't try to contact, I did try to do that as soon as possible, but as said they already left and I couldn't do much. Yes, I could have gave them warning. It's my mistake I didn't do that, but do you really need to bash out on me for being human and making mistakes?

3 hours ago, VTCobaltblood said:

I'm not sure if reverting a PR along with a nasty remark because people have feature requests is the kind of behavior our moderators should exhibit.

This is somewhat unrelated, to this topic. Tho I gotten way nastier remarks that were targeted at me and came from more reputable source.

8 hours ago, Karolis2011 said:

Yes, I could have gave them warning. It's my mistake I didn't do that, but do you really need to bash out on me for being human and making mistakes?

They are not aware of the issue, they were not punished or directed to change their behavior. You intended to have me make a player complaint against them, rather than deal with it yourself. So yes, I'm going to take issue with that.

On 31/07/2019 at 17:53, Karolis2011 said:

In my defence, I was heading to sleep. It was my mistake to even take your ticket in my such state. As time stamps tell, I took it after some time and seeing that none was handling it.

Just don't defend yourself. You tried to help when nobody else did, you suggested the right course of action. You got nothing to be sorry about. If this is a persistent problem with a player that stretches over multiple rounds, telling them to make a complaint is a far better solution than looking at a single situation and slapping them on the hand. 

17 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

They are not aware of the issue, they were not punished or directed to change their behavior. You intended to have me make a player complaint against them, rather than deal with it yourself.

What you fail to notice is that the rest of the staff was busy or afk, Karolis could have just ignored your ahelp and went to bed without any consequences at all. Your other option here would have been a staff complaint against Karolis decision to let this be handled on the forums by people with full logs.

Since this is a feedback thread I'll add my two cents here.

For whatever reason Karolis had to deal with outright hostility in some ahelps and I don't get what the goal of that is. Staying calm and objective through this is a thing that's expected of us but keeping the goal in mind to help the player base can he hard if someone is slapping you in the face with PMs that could fill a page. I've seen Karolis do this multiple times now in situations where I'd not have stayed that calm and that's honestly impressive to me.

Big +1 for keeping the good fight going.

Nobody is perfect and there will be more complaints the longer you are doing this, don't let it drag you down too much.

• 3 weeks later...