Menown's Tajaran Lore Deputy Application

Guest Menown

Ckey/BYOND Username: Menown

Discord Name: Menown#8181

Position Being Applied For: Lore Deputy

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I've been part of Aurora since the very first hour, of the very first day. I've been through every iteration of Tajaran lore we've seen. I've survived countless revisions, retcons, advancements, genocides, purges, and tank events. I spearheaded catserver as a solitary entity and mained the same Tajara for almost three years at this point in a (reasonably) consistant manner (despite recent attempts to rebase him into a naturally born Adhomian versus his horrible original basis.) I keep a consistant refresher of the wiki and will re-read it constantly for new information. I keep a working vocabulary of the various Adhomian plants, animals, and practices.

My knowledge of Tajaran lore, while in depth, is not perfect. There are still areas I falter like early Adhomian history in which I will require referencing the wiki when asked ICly, hence why I try to keep a knowledge of updates as I am not OOCly a historian for the species.

Examples of Past Work: I wrote the worst piece of Tajaran lore - Siik'Tau. Not a good start.

Additional Comments:

My text provided is going to be based on a pretty central point utilized in my most prolific character - Muhawir Nawfal, specifically the persecution of subversive elements in a Post-Assassination Adhomai.

Spoiler

Article 201, Subversive Elements and Anti-Government Entities. What originally began as a reactionary measure toward the Zhan-Khazan ethnicity following the death of Al'mari Hadii evolved into a constrictive measure designed to weed out undesirables that found themselves leeching into the various Adhomian enclaves in Republican space on the planet. PSIS agents soon found themselves tasked with performing investigations into Zhan-Khazan elements in the cities, and tighter restrictions on extranet traffic were put in place, resulting in unethical and highly secretive monitoring. Tajara that found themselves in more modern cities quickly found themselves under a more watchful eye than they already were.

Promoting ideals subversive to Adhomian society or further anti-Republican agendas would find one quickly snatched up, black bagged, and sent off to any of the numerous work encampments found in polar regions and the equators on Adhomai, with the majority of work being in coal and metal extraction, logging, and land clearing for expansion of the post-war population. When it became evident that the ALA and the rebelling monarchists weren't going to fall to initial assaults, the penal work camps were expanded and were found to be accepting murderers, thieves, and other forms of heinous criminals as well as the subversives and political prisoners that already inhabited them. This essentially free labor force provided an initial edge to the fighting with the People's Republic as the steady flow of rich metals from Adhomai as well as coal provided the necessary materials to boost the industry into a more tech-worthy, albeit still less than modern age for the major cities such as Nal'Tor, as well as boosting the Republican offensive.

It was estimated that at least one million Tajara were placed in the penal system in the first initial five years, with around thirty percent of them either succumbing from starvation, cold, disease, or exhaustion from the near relentless work that their waking period provided, with the only surviving ones being those too crippled to work effectively and finding release in the hands of sentence reduction. It wasn't uncommon for these surviving Tajara to find work in the collective farms performing anything they were able to. The belief that even the crooked pieces found a place they fit was widespread in the penal system, with work always being a ready commodity. Value was found in the usefulness in one's utility.

Toward the later parts of the 50s, more outrage over the system was raised, as Interstellar Aid Corps members who had first-hand accounts to the disease, malnutrition, and the conditions that existed in the camps themselves. Work was done to curb this but the IAC quickly found that shortages of food, spaceacillian, and other forms of medicines, as well as the major outbreaks of black lung meant the already minuscule force was strained tighter, which drove sanctions from Tau Ceti and Sol. In an effort to bring relief from the sanctions, the Ministry of Health revealed its new rehabilitation program, which was little else than indentured servitude, with many Tajara finding "rehabilitation" through work with NanoTrasen Corporation. Kickbacks to the Ministry of Prisons resulted in these offenders being leased out for credit sums that in the public eye fed an ever churning war machine that encroached on monarchist lands, when in actuality the credits found themselves lining the pockets of an already corrupt council of directors for the Ministry.

More extreme cases found themselves in enforced isolation, or subject to extremer conditions digging canals in the equator, erecting poles for the ever expanding power infrastructure, or right back in the mines they so recently found escape from. Although reported as a success, most of those placed in this greater rehabilitation program found themselves back into custody within months of release, or fleeing to other systems as it was readily apparent they had no place in Adhomian society. It was only in the later days of 2459 did greater action to stop the programs come into place, with the enactment of the Tajara Rights act of 2459.

Spearheaded by Njadrasanukii Hadii, this was nothing more than another powerplay to subvert expectations. Many saw the act as relief for the Tajaran people, with the mass decriminalization of homosexuality to a misdemeanor being lauded as an advancement that saw greater acceptance for the communities of these subversive elements, when in actuality greater fines put into place meant that jail stays were common, with most charged with the crime itself finding themselves in ammunition factories or helping with the industrial side of the war effort. However, it was advancement none-the-less, even with the vast majority of those that were formerly charged with the offense finding themselves with new charges in place to extend their sentence.

Conditions in the penal system have reportedly found a steady increase, with the reduction in population allowing for a better distribution of supplies, and labor centering more on a public services, with a majority of offenders finding themselves shoveling snow, collecting garbage, and generally improving conditions in the cities they were sentenced. Regardless of how it developed, Article 201 left a nasty mark in Adhomian history since their integration in the galactic level, with many seeing the People's Republic and the Hadii party as little more than authoritarians and bigots seeking to control and contain the population, a truth that despite their attempts to hide it, isn't so far off.

Edited by Menown
Deputy, not developer.

Ive known you for a little now, and during this time youve always been passionate about lore, and youve always managed to explain things Ive been having troubles with or been curious about in a simple way that I can easily work with it. You also seem to always keep up with the new happenings with the universe and not just Adhomai.
I think you would do amazing things as a tajara lore deputy, both for the lore and for us all.

I wish you the very best of luck with your application, Meowy! ❤️

I appreciate it, Prate. There are things I need to work on, that I'm hoping I'll get a better control of, namely resentment and dissension rising from disagreements. I try to keep my cool but sometimes things slip through the cracks, so I'm working on distancing myself from my own discourse. It wouldn't be healthy for the team.

If I can get a better hand of that, I imagine I'd be able to live up to the standards you've set for me, but I'm far from perfect. Least I can say is I'll try. Regardless of whether this is approved or not, I'll try to keep in contact with whomever's selected like I usually do.

I have known Menown since before Aurora, and to me they have always been the standard keeper when it comes to showing the effects of lore in game. Given that the hammered in theme of Tajara the civil war may be coming to an end soon. I can think of no better person to work with during writing to develop a new course for the tajara, separate from the civil war or Russian themes that has defined them so for so many years.

Edited by Bygonehero
10 minutes ago, Bygonehero said:

I have known Menown since before Aurora, and to me they have always been the standard keeper when it comes to showing the effects of lore in game. Given that the hammered in theme of Tajara the civil war may be coming to an end soon. I can think of no better person to work with during writing to develop a new course for the tajara, separate from the civil war or Russian themes that has defined them so for so many years.

Personally I'll be focusing on fleshing out aspects of modern society, such as the social programs, the usage the PRA gets out of the vast amount of space from the equator, and the conflict between the borders of the line at the equator itself. There's a lot of untouched concepts like the fractured allegiances in towns all across that front and what the lost of numerous areas like Ferro'biyn and Ron'Tul meant for both the Republic and the ALA.

There's a lot of news articles with most of them not even being on the wiki. So half the lore is not readily accessible unless you're willing to sift through seven pages of shit. I'd like to condense the articles down and bring summaries into the timeline page.

Edited by Menown
Typos.

Meowy is someone who clearly genuinely cares about Tajara. I think this is evident to everyone who plays with him. I would fully and completely trust his judgement about this species and where to take it.

I have a Taj whitelist but I have not played one for a long time because I do not really connect with the species' current themeing. I was wondering what the stance going forward would be about Taj who really do not want to be involved in the conflict? I have a desire to play a simple Taj, from a farming community, but I don't have the desire to keep up with a three-faction civil war where every side is the bad guy, and which sides find what the most morally objectionable, etc. I find their politics confusing, and a little bit hard to decipher. How do you feel about Taj who want to be involved with the species, homeworld and lore, but not with the whole war and politics theme that pervades the species? I've seen "apolitical" Tajaran criticized, and I don't want to just play a kitty - but I really cannot wrap my head around what's going on with their lore right now.

5 hours ago, zyymurgy said:

Meowy is someone who clearly genuinely cares about Tajara. I think this is evident to everyone who plays with him. I would fully and completely trust his judgement about this species and where to take it.

I have a Taj whitelist but I have not played one for a long time because I do not really connect with the species' current themeing. I was wondering what the stance going forward would be about Taj who really do not want to be involved in the conflict? I have a desire to play a simple Taj, from a farming community, but I don't have the desire to keep up with a three-faction civil war where every side is the bad guy, and which sides find what the most morally objectionable, etc. I find their politics confusing, and a little bit hard to decipher. How do you feel about Taj who want to be involved with the species, homeworld and lore, but not with the whole war and politics theme that pervades the species? I've seen "apolitical" Tajaran criticized, and I don't want to just play a kitty - but I really cannot wrap my head around what's going on with their lore right now.

From what I understand the war is ending soon(tm). So that won't be much of an issue.

Considering all the sides except the DPRA have enacted some form of draft, it's hard to say that "no you can't be in the war" if you're playing a male character, but there's nothing stopping you from playing a female that's ambivalent about the whole thing. As it stands the most important thing is going to be ending the war, which is going to happen regardless of whether I'm put in or not, so I can't really say much on that. A grand majority of our lore for Tajara is related to a war that was going to end someday, which is something of a minor oversight.

As it stands, there's many factions that allow for being involved in the culture without being part of the war. The nomads aren't a solitary entity, the Parivara are notoriously centrist when it comes to war, and then there's the newly redesigned Free City of Crevus which is undergoing changes to better fit the setting on Adhomai and to reform it, by Alberyk.

When it comes to wanting to subvert what's typical, all it takes is a bit of time making a backstory that works. Realistically sky's the limit. The biggest issue for me is travel time. It's exceedingly hard to put in place the idea that somebody can work on the Aurora, yet be involved in anything on Adhomai, since our only written lore dictates that it takes at least a solid month of travel by bluespace to get to S'rand'marr. I'd hopefully be working with the loreteam to work something out, probably with Bluespace gates to rectify that.

I am very sorry for neglecting your app for so long. Here goes, though!
I addressed my personal concerns with you in PM's, so with that out of the way, I'll ask about what you intend to do within Tajaran lore.

I know you wanted to describe the urban aspect of the life of Tajara, but do you intend to write about their relations with other species(something that's starting to become relevant now for Tajara), about their culture, history, the war? I know that Alb is already working on the last two, but I want to know if you plan to help him in this glorious task or not.
This question has been asked so many times lately but alas I think it's pretty important to know your stance on it. We have somewhere around twenty five pages of Tajaran lore and there are currently efforts to reduce them through smart organization of the wiki. Do you think this hellish bloat number of pages should be cut down? Should it stay as is, are we on the right path with our current course of actions, or do you think there should be even more?

Also, this.

When I read your essay right after reading Menown's, I find that there is a very heavy contrast between them, despite the fact that they cover pretty much the same topic. It's the fact that you want to take it in a more positive direction, while Menown focuses on the darker details of the Tajaran lore(of which there are many, as it is a very sad life on Adhomai). Is this something you intend to stick with throughout your contributions to the Tajaran lore, or will it fluctuate?

I just posted this on lancer's app but I think it's only fair that I ask you this question as well.

Good luck!

Edited by BoryaTheSlayer
added another question

I plan to condense Tajara lore into five/six pages. The central page that will have better organization of the timeline in it, the central ethnicities, and everything it has but with the non-faction related material in it.

Then the S'rand'marr page, for information on S'rand'marr and Adhomai itself.

Then the three factions and pertinent information to them each. With regard to the subfactions/cultures of the nomads and such.

The final page will be the cultures section which will involve art, religion, language aspects, and integration of other species into Adhomai and Adhomian culture.

As for your final question regarding direction, I feel I didn't take it in a dark way. Instead a more fleshed out and grounded way. While it's true I tend to go darker with my themes, it's merely a consequence of my subject desire to keep things "realistic" with how they're portrayed, regardless of sensibilities. If the direction Tajaran lore is heading allows for a more positive traversal, then so be it, but if it doesn't, oh well. I'm not going to adjust theme away from what makes sense purely to make a statement. I have no agenda on the matter.

This is a really hard decision for me. But, I will have to decline your application due to the team being full. Like I have told you, I appreciate your contributions, and I will also work to add what you wrote to the wiki and lore. Thank you for applying.