(ACCEPTED) Shadow7889's Lizard App

BYOND Key: Shadow7889

Character Names: Nathan Sloan/Head of Security/Captain - XR-2/Engineer - Jarvi/Head of Personnel - C-22/Janitor - TSR-4 Officer/Warden - Navin Kore/Engineer

Species you are applying to play: Unathi 

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: STRAIGHT PINK. Black

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: I have. Honestly impressed with how fleshed out it is. Not to say the rest of the lore pages aren't. It just grabs my attention a lot easier than most pages. 

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question. 

Why do you wish to play this specific race:   I've played Humans. I've played IPCs. I honestly strayed away from having played any sort of decently emotional character for a long time. And I wanted to play a new race that had some.. range to it. It was between Skrell and Unathi. And I'm not big on playing a frog. Also, the way the Unathi race is set up with their traditions and honor codes, rules and everything else. It's complicated but simple at the same time. It's not impossible to be your own kinda Unathi, but at the same time, you're really not going to go far without having a clan and obeying rules. I love the system. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:   For me, it's like taking humanity, and shoving it backwards in time to feaudal Japan. And oh my god I should have applied for this SO much sooner than now. I know I'm probably repeating myself when I say it, but the requirements for most Unathi are so interesting. If you're part of a clan, you're raised a certain way. You have to act a certain way, even the mannerisms for most if not all Unathi would be different from a humans. Anger can be expressed by a loud THUMP of the tail. Annoyance with swaying.. They get cold easy and can't even drink alcohol unless it's made a certain way. Yes I know I'm digging into mechanics, but even in that sense, you have to RP differently. It's on a whole different level than playing a human. 

Character Name: Na'Szar Sa'tak

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

Na'Szar grew up on Moghes. His immediate family consisted of a father, mother, sister and a brother. His father was an engineer as he had planned to be. He did good in school at a young age, and passed through schooling with near excellent marks as he grew up. Taking up an apprenticeship under his father's guild at 16, he learned all he could about becoming an engineer. He learned fast was by all intent nearing his title of craftsman. However the Contact War ruined everything for him. Mass war and the use of Nuclear explosives on his planet had caused turmoil for most of his family. He lost his brother and both parents in the war. The loss of most of his Immediate family left him heartbroken but he kept faith that he'd meet them again. The Contact war took a lot from him, but also provided amazing new opportunity as well. The arrival and assistance of the Skrell and Human race had push the Unathi forward in time. Taking time to grieve for his lost family, he and his sister decided to see the stars. Taking the shuttle port from Skalamar to leave Moghes for a time. Na'Szar enlisted his engineering skills with NanoTrasen, and his sister found her craft by becoming a baker with a nice shop to run.

What do you like about this character?:  Na'Szar is headstrong and committed to doing his absolute best in everything. He's seen a lot of horrible things, but keeps his head up. He's always moving forward and sees roadblocks in his life as challenges to be bested. 

How would you rate your role-playing ability?: I'm not the best, but I like to think I do well enough. 6/10. Probably. 

Notes: Frogs are dumb. Thanks for reading. 

Edited by SleepyWolf
Talked with a headdev. The clan I had him in was a bit more complicated. Lore remains, but his clan is different.

I have already given Shadow some feedback in DMs. I recommend anyone commenting here to not just note that they're a good roleplayer, but to judge the application on merit of applying for a race, not applying for good roleplayer stickers.

I would like some extra information on this character, as it is a bit lacking in some areas. 

Your character is an Izweski, good job. Seeing an Izweski on station is bound to cause problems, and I am excited to see a character like this. However, I do think you skimmed over some important parts of the character and Unathi history, and you choose not to talk about religion, honor, or anything like that. So I ask these questions:

In the Contact War, both sides used nuclear weapons, but the Hegemon especially used 'unhonorable' tactics to some, such as using alien-made energy weapons, artillery, etc, against essentially dated weaponry from the Trad coalition. Does Izweski believe this was honorable on Hegemon's part? Do you think the Contact War was needed? How does he feel about how nuclear weapons were used on both sides.

You speak nothing of religion, though it is an incredibly important part of Sinta culture. What religion does Izweski practice? (It is probably Sk'akh). What is his opinion on the current religious tension currently plaguing Moghes, especially relating to S'kresti and High Priest Unzi. How does he think about the Iron Masks burning Th'akh monasteries?

Wait, he escaped Moghes? He is an Izweski. He could have sought refuge with his other family, who are probably quite powerful. He apparently escaped because he was too heartbroken to go on--I frankly do not buy that. He essentially abandoned his country, his friends, his family (barring his sister), to go to space. It is fine that he leaves, but I do think that you need a better reason than "he was too heartbroken to go on", when his brothers died an honorable death, and he could have easily sought refuge with his allies. He could escape Moghes, I just think you need to either expand on the current reason, have another reason, or don't leave immediately. 

I will assume he was 16 when the Contact War started. He is 41 now. Did he just live peacefully in NT? Did he ever marry? As with his Sister, did he encourage (or arrange) a marriage to continue the Izweski line? For someone who has lived most of their life in space, you speak nothing about what happened there. How has Izweski kept in contact with his family? Does he feel regret for 'abandoning' his family to a destroyed world, in a way? What about his sister? Did she want to escape, or did they just follow their older brother?

The more I read this, the more I find lacking. I suggest you answer the questions I outlined here, because I feel as if you are missing several facets of Unathi culture.

Edited by DeadLantern

As I stated on Discord, THANK YOU for the push here. This app was made at 6am and I was worried I didn't do enough or speak enough on the culture. Let's dive into your question and see if I can get your approval. 

Alright, question one. As his clan name implies, Izweski believed that Unathi needed to step forward. The arrival of Humans and Skrell was something he saw as an advancement. Something to make life better for all Unathi. He was made aware of this with the production of the first fusion plant which had shown him how far behind the Unathi race was. He agreed with most of his clan that the way forward was through these others races. As for the Contact war.. hearing and seeing the use of weapons not our own was.. concerning. But he came to believe that for the greater good, the Unathi had to conform to the ways of their new knowledge. What sensible person would refuse these gifts over tradition? He didn't like how the Traditionalist Coalition were so unbelievably paranoid. And with the propaganda that they were dehumanized, he stuck to this idea. 

As for his religion, thankfully he's Sk'akh. And knows that he'll be joined with his Father, Mother, and Brother later when he passes. This helped him to get through the hardship when he lost them. He grieved for a time, but through faith and reassurance by other members of his clan, he came around and understood that they were with the Great Spirit while he remained in the material world. He says a prayer every day to the Great Spirit to speak with his family through faith. Of course they can't speak back but he doesn't mind. He knows they can hear him. Faith is huge for him in this regard. It's a part of his every day life. 

As for current issues on Unathi faith, I haven't dove that deep on the lore yet. Still.. burning monastaries of any faith.. that's.. No he would be against that. He would consider it wrong to do. That's like a Christian person damning someone for a different view. Respect should be had, no matter the faith. 

I've updated his backstory as well, given your comment about escape. You're absolutely right. No need for that. Instead, he would take advantage of the Contact Wars actual positive outcome. See the stars that the Humans and Skrell helped them to travel.

As for the rest of his story, yes he was 16 at the time of his leave from Moghes. He would travel back and forth when able to visit his clan. While he embraces the new universe he was shown, he still visits home to speak with the rest of his clan. He would go on to visit monastaries to pray to the Great Spirit and his family. As for his sister, he did in fact encourage a union between her and a wealthy merchant who had seen her love for baking, and not only fell in love with her cooking, but her as well and approached Izweski to ask her hand. The tribute given not only paid for his sisters shop but helped Izweski finish the needed education his station upon the Aurora!

And unfortunately he did not marry. He still looks for another to bond with and marry, saving up for his tribute to the family of the one that he would marry. 

He does live peacefully through NT. Having a housing on the NTCC Odin provided through contract. His Sister would now live with her husband. 

If you see any further conflict here, do let me know. And any more questions! 

Good answers. The stuff I asked you about S'kresti and the conflict regarding religion are all found in the Unathi news channel. I do not expect a non-whitelisted person to read it, but it will certainly help if you are caught up with the recent events not on the wiki.

I like your new reasoning for traveling to the stars. This character is a lot more believable, now. I am excited to see an Izweski on station, I am sure you will be accepted.

i spoke to Shadow and the character is not going to be Izweski, because the Izweski clan would lose a bit of 'clan name value' if just any Izweski was on station. I think looking over the app and the responses to questions, as well as the interest they seem to have in learning the lore/playing Unathi, this is going to be accepted.

ENJOY. It should come about by the next round after the current one.