How to get feedback?

Firaxias

Hello,

I'm new to SS13 and to Aurora. I've spent a considerable amount playing HRP with you guys. I'm starting to remember names ingame and outgame.
But so far it hasn't been possible for me to talk with the people in the community outside the game about what is happening or how to grow into the community.
For sure I got the answer "Just spend more time here" which is not helping at this point.

I've created already a well ignored Character Feedback post.      
I usually paste it at the end of the round like I learned it from WhatsUpBrotendo, which is also my department Chief Imran Zadeh ingame. I think this is a good practice and I like that someone cares about feedback or contact outside the round.

The Forum is mostly dead since in this board the last new Thread is almost 1 month old. But other parts of the forum doesn't seem more active.
Discord is also not that much visited, especially since I always get the answer that I can't expect to meet everyone there. Also the last time I tried to talk seriously about a topic everyone just threw in tangent topics and I couldn't follow my own topic anymore. Also I almost never find anyone from ingame on the Discord - for example when I give a shoutout after the round to see who I played with.
I'm not a big fan of OOC talk while the round since it's distracting and could contain spoilers. At the end of the round there is often not enough time to talk about anything. And there is never any time to talk about the round or general, deeper feedback.

I don't know how to catch you guys.

I like playing with you guys but I want to also see some work on the community. But it seems that there is not much care for a new player experience.
So far I think I never had any feedback about the RP aspect. I would like to learn and grow. But without any feedback that's not easy to do.

So what I am supposed to do?

Feedback is a mixed bag in this community IMO in that you'll either get your friends come on and say how cool you are or it'll be missed. People talking about characters and asking for feedback in OOC sometimes happens as long as no current round information is shared. Maybe drop a link to your feedback thread in OOC and at the beginning/end of a round post it and ask for feedback?

As big daddy Zundy already said, feedback threads are pretty useless. Asking people directly (maybe coworkers you work with regularly) about feedback is generally the better way to get actual, real feedback. Being critical with yourself is also always a good idea. But, approaching people directly in looc/after the round in discord/mail pigeons or whatever you prefer is the best solution to your problem.

Edited by KingOfThePing
muh grammar

Yeah you're not really wrong. The forums are a meme zone outside of the complaints section which every so often has a wildfire break out. Discord is similiar in that topics come and go very quickly and the chat can move pretty fast depending on the time of day. As a new player just trying to get feedback this would definitely be off-putting. I have noticed people are way less likely to give feedback if they have nothing but positive experiences. I do not really have any advice for how to get some other than a vague answer of "give it time" but i reckon you have to be doing at least a few things right. 

Join and chat in the discord servers. Make conversation about the round and directly ping people for feedback if you interacted. Add your IC friends and get to know them ooc. I also don't mean to sound pretentious, but I wouldn't say SS is the most elaborate place to grow as an RP'r (At least in game.) You could try joining the relay server and doing more text based stuff, perhaps.

I've also personally found that chatting in dchat whilst observing is a good way to build connections.

But as the others said, it mostly just takes time and some effort. Do you feel like the new player experience is bad in other ways? I.E Being ignored/isolated?

Discord, talking in OOC on the server, and DMing with people you interacted with are guaranteed ways getting a feedback response. I don't get that much involved on forum and spill my opinions on everything because aurora politics, gotta be careful what you say. You should also play a little longer, talk in OOC whenever a discussion springs up, and have people to get know you. It'll help for feedback. Speaking of which, I'll take a look at your feedback thread now.