Staff Complaint - Aboshehab

BYOND Key: AIMMO
Staff BYOND Key: Aboshehab
Game ID: I did not think of writing it down/screencaping it at the time
Reason for complaint: I was perma community banned without chance for appeal over an issue that I was not informed of that it existed or other warnings and which in my opinion is nowhere severe enough to warrant a permanent Ban without any previous warnings or other measures.  
Evidence/logs/etc: I played that round half-actively, doing something else on the side but keeping an eye on anyone approaching my character for interaction or requests (I was playing chef, which i like to do if I only feel like not focusing too hard on the game), when I was messaged by Aboshehab.

unknown.png
 unknown.png

As this was the first administrative action directed against me in quite a while, and given the load of the message I was somewhat confused, so i tried understand better. I was understanding that the decision was already made, but I wanted to know with whom the issue lies nonetheless, as at least then I could apologize to the person(s) who I made feel this way or properly ponder on where went too far.

unknown.png
There was no reply until the awaited "you are either AFK or disconnected" message from my client to show me it has been enacted. I looked through the chat logs and eventually retrieved all of the conversation I could find for the reason of a staff complaint, appeal or whatever (I haven't been too active on the forums and especially never had to do a staff complaint or alike.) After that ban was enforced I noticed I was also getting kicked/banned from the aurora-verse Discord servers. My forum account was also fully locked, however after asking another staff member about the sitation (again me lacking knowledge in these processes) they told me I should normaly still be able to write staff complaints and Ban appeals, they had to re-activate that limited functionality for me.

Supporting evidence :
Lack of prior Warning
unknown.png

unknown.png

The usual legacy of Permanent Bans as by the Aurora Rules :
https://aurorastation.org/rules.html 
"Permanent Ban: Permanent bans are issued in two general cases. First, to force communication with staff regarding an issue which was left unresolved, usually due to the player logging out mid-discussion. Second, as a final attempt to curb a player's behaviour, following warnings and temporary bans."

Additional remarks:
The following points would be more fleshed out for an actual Ban appeal, however I find them still relevant to bring the ban into the right light, atleast from my perspective  :

1. Yes I have a fetish. Yes, as it is part of my psyche, it is something that has and will impact my decision making to a certain degree, however I will contest the point that any of my characters on the Aurora were designed or changed through my char development in order to serve that fetish instead of creating an interesting character with depth. (for example the decision to expand A.I.M.M.O.s skills onto cooking was a result out of the ongoing development of him wanting to acquire more Friends as a means of security, while I wanted to bring an artisanal interest, the wish to make few things of greater value than their parts, into a character who so far has only strived to acquire exceptional masses of simple things (Mining operations). Chef seemed a good option for that, as it is the only job on the aurora that is focused on creating something, which by many can be recognized as art when done well enough, food.
I have not forced any characters into certain type of actions or used antag powers to do something in that direction.
I am also aware that obviously my viewpoint on whats acceptable and what not, can be out of norm. I understand the reason given by Abo, I can see that people who know about this would potentially feel uncomfortable, however dont agree on the severity given here. I was not made aware that I am overstepping boundaries. By definition I have not broken any rules and without someone telling me where their boundaries lie I can only orientate myself by my own perception of what is acceptable and not. 

2. I was not aware of the discomfort I was apparently causing. The two cases of players approaching me feeling uncomfortable were due to a different aspect of my character, their dependence on affirmation of friendship. I made them overbearing on design, to how further while they know what to say and how to act to be socially acceptable, they get other aspects of it still very wrong, seeing friendship like a state that is only true as long as a certain quota of interactions is fullfilled. Since I received those two complaints I have been trying to reduce that behavior, especially for the characters of said players. I am aware that parts of my chars behavior were criticized IC but I filter that obviously as such. (what a character finds uncomfortable doesn't need to be the same for the player, especially given the cultural and species driven conflict Aurora encourages.)

3. I consistently try to be receptive for feedback on my chars. With my main IPC (the only one I had fun returning to so far, waiting to make new ones until the Next Big Thing is out) i always felt I could step onto peoples toes, although not specifically because of the reasons Abo brings up. Thats why when a new Synth Lore Dev I give them a rough explanation of the current state of the character, point out things I feel can be seen controversially depending on the Lore Dev and affirm that I would like to be informed about any misbehavior they notice. 

4. Despite this being an issue that involves rather personal information of myself, which I have been trying to only mention towards as relevant for the issue, I beforehand decline the option of moving this towards a more discreet way of processing which I have been informed of to exist now. I rather wish this issue to be seen by whoever wishes so than hiding my own secrets.

First things first, the ban reason.

“You have used this community as a means to push what we believe to be your fetish onto other players with their characters. You have crossed all boundaries, not respecting any of them, making people uncomfortable and distressed. You have used your IPC character to justify such behavior when it is completely wrong. You have not done this to just one person, you have done this to several. You are no longer welcome in this community and you have no chance of appeal. This ban is on behalf of Aboshehab.” 

Secondly, as a matter to state for the record, I put as much time and effort as I can with my position to keep you from retribution as well. For me, the ban was the end of it and I was not interested in causing witch-hunts or any further issues that may potentially arise from making this public. 

Thirdly, a reply towards your quotation of the rules. I present you something that is the first thing you can see in the rule page. 

Note that these rules cannot cover the myriad of situations that will arise during gameplay. As such, the word of Moderators and Administrators ingame is final, and not up for debate past a certain point. If you take issue with an ingame ruling, you are expected to submit a staff complaint about it, or to contact a Head Administrator about it after the round has concluded.

Now onto the conclusions I've made, some of which you have given me clear and undeniable proof to further solidify my decision. Before it is asked, I will not be posting any names or logs in public for the reason that those involved are protected from any form of retribution. All relevant information was forwarded to some members of staff as I sought feedback on this matter. Those relevant people can also ask me for further information should they need it.

For the sake of clarification before I go into more details, originally the plan was to apply a warning that would act as an ultimatum to cease the above actions outlined in the ban reason or what will be posted after this in addition to raising the matter of your IPC character for review by the relevant lore team. Though as more people were questioned, specifically having talked to around a dozen people, give or take a few, which is not the complete number that may have been affected by you as I stopped seeking out more people, a very clear and severe pattern was noticed.

1- Your character AIMMO would act in a very forceful and clingy manner to force people to eat a lot of food, such people seem to be limited to a specific demographic of characters and/or players. Best described as a “feeder”.  You have admitted to as much.

2- You as a player would approach characters in a way that is defined creepy, attempting to establish or otherwise hint at a relationship. Such advances were ignored or in-character told to stop, varying from person to person. This would further be pushed in the form of ooc communication with players.

3- You as a player seemed to understand that some of your behavior was not right, even apologizing for it. Apologizing would normally be good if not for the fact you persisted further, even trying to justify your actions on your character design.

So what’s the conclusion from all this? All these incidents on their own look innocent enough, maybe some do cross the lines, but on their own, they would have never gotten such a severe punishment. The punishment comes from a very clear and established pattern which coupled with the fact you seem to acknowledge some of your acts were wrong, you still carried on. No one in the community deserves to feel uncomfortable, to have to completely avoid you as a player or your characters, be it by avoiding where you are playing or simply not joining the round when you are on. You are either in complete denial of this or are trying to seem innocent, both of them are unacceptable for this community. If I cannot trust you as an adult around other adults, I cannot trust you around minors. 

3 hours ago, A.I.M.M.O. said:

Lack of prior Warning

While I guess this might be a valid point, the issue is that this is not just someone validhunting or exploding the engine for no reasons, it is pretty much outright creep and predatory behavior. It stops being a matter of being a dummy in game and steps into the territory of harassing people. I do not want players to have to deal with what you did, people come here to roleplay and play space station 13, not to deal with someone's kinks and weird pms.

I will probably expand the perma rule word to allow for such exceptions too.

Yes I have a fetish. Yes, as it is part of my psyche, it is something that has and will impact my decision making to a certain degree,

Ok. But, we have a big issue when said fetish is being a problem to people and seems to have an effect on the server/community. There are better mediums to explore this stuff, the server and community is not one. 

I was not aware of the discomfort I was apparently causing.

Someone told you that they were feeling uncomfortable and blocked you. Maybe you should have thought that others who ignored / didn't want anything to do with you were probably feeling the same. People can feel shame/guilt or are trying to be nice and not get others in trouble, or just don't want to deal with this at all. Some empathy would have been useful here, think about what others feels too. This is not an excuse for this behavior.

Despite this being an issue that involves rather personal information of myself, which I have been trying to only mention towards as relevant for the issue

I think you are forgetting something else: the other people that you were involved with. You are not the only person in this story, you might just get them harassed or trashtalked because they were associated with you at some point, even if nothing happened. Like I said in the last point, it seems that you are not really interested in what other people might feel. 

In my conclusion, you deserve the ban, you should not be part of this community. This is not the place to do this kind of stuff.

5 hours ago, A.I.M.M.O. said:

My forum account was also fully locked, however after asking another staff member about the sitation (again me lacking knowledge in these processes) they told me I should normaly still be able to write staff complaints and Ban appeals, they had to re-activate that limited functionality for me.

To correct a possible misunderstanding:
If someone is banned from the forums, they are not supposed to be able to write staff complaints / ban appeals.
However we have that in the forum rules:

In the event of a permanent/temporary ban, you may request to be assigned to the "soft-banned"-role. This role allows you to file a unban request or staff complaint regarding your ban (and only your ban), however you may not use the "soft-banned" role to access any other part of the forum system.

I´m aware that staff has the power and right to act like they see fit if it is needed, This doesn't mean I cant use the rules as an argument if I find the situation is not outstanding enough. With the information I have been provided now, that is different. 

3 hours ago, Aboshedab said:

3- You as a player seemed to understand that some of your behavior was not right, even apologizing for it. Apologizing would normally be good if not for the fact you persisted further, even trying to justify your actions on your character design.

Most of the behaviour mentioned here, did stem out of the way the character developed, to be specific his overbearingness in social matters. I found the eccentricity at which i displayed that as acceptable within what kind of personalities other characters show.
I was apologizing because to some people I was overstepping boundries, as said I only ever were aware of two people beeing oocly creeped out by me. 
I acknowledge that what I was doing can, from another perspective, one that probably is more grounded to the average person, my actions were concerning if not wrong. 
I apologized to the two people which told me of their discomfort and I show understanding in here, because through the ban and this discussion I was shown that there are more people feeling the same way, and those two people werent outliners that I either went to strong on or that they just were easily irritated on that for their own reasons. 

If there is so many though that I hindered the joy of playing , I dont need to know who they are,  I dont have any reason or ground to call out the action as too swift. I wish those people would have reached out to me and told me, but that doesnt matter here and now. 

I hereby retract my complaint. I am genuinely sorry.