Job Accessibility Requirements Feedback

Alberyk

okay to bring better feedback
Vision: it should be split into four categories , with the new category  being 'heavily flawed'. This would cover more severe visual impairments while not actually being blind. I imagine most of the service jobs would be okay under this, as well as psych? unsure of other jobs, however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Changes that will be made soon:

• Forensic technicians will change from impaired to unimpaired.
  • Cargo technicians will change from impaired to unimpaired.
  • Janitor will change from impaired to unimpaired.

Consular will remain as is since they have equipment that needs them to be reasonably able-bodied. Vision won't be split up as it seems too niche to me.

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I still protest the fact that pharmacists cannot use a wheelchair. I don't see why this shouldn't be allowed, since they're not doctors, they don't need to be running around, they're making medicines in their pharmacy

IIRC you cannot use the machine while on a wheelchair, although I may be wrong. I know you can't with other similar devices.

1 minute ago, Desven said:

IIRC you cannot use the machine while on a wheelchair, although I may be wrong. I know you can't with other similar devices.

you can use it, I played a chemist who uses a wheelchair before these rules were put into place

9 hours ago, MattAtlas said:

Changes that will be made soon:

• Forensic technicians will change from impaired to unimpaired.
  • Cargo technicians will change from impaired to unimpaired.
  • Janitor will change from impaired to unimpaired.

Consular will remain as is since they have equipment that needs them to be reasonably able-bodied. Vision won't be split up as it seems too niche to me.

Thank you for addressing my feedback. I'm curious what equipment has that requirement, just for the sake of clarity, as I'm not sure what they really use besides a fax machine (which I struggle to imagine how that wouldn't work, unless the code is just weird). 

3 hours ago, Carver said:

Thank you for addressing my feedback. I'm curious what equipment has that requirement, just for the sake of clarity, as I'm not sure what they really use besides a fax machine (which I struggle to imagine how that wouldn't work, unless the code is just weird). 

Like the rest of command, they get self-defense weapons and are expected to be fit enough to use them appropriately. It'd also be a bit of a mess because every faction would then have their own requirements and it's just a giant headache.

11 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I still protest the fact that pharmacists cannot use a wheelchair. I don't see why this shouldn't be allowed, since they're not doctors, they don't need to be running around, they're making medicines in their pharmacy

The fact of the matter is that chemists won't always be in the pharmacy. There will be times where they're needed around the GTR and if you're in a wheelchair you can't really do that.

9 hours ago, MattAtlas said:

Like the rest of command, they get self-defense weapons and are expected to be fit enough to use them appropriately. It'd also be a bit of a mess because every faction would then have their own requirements and it's just a giant headache.

I suppose that's fair, though I struggle to imagine how a handgun would be infeasible to use with one arm or from a wheelchair. I had expected it would be something more... job-pertinent, than a sidearm, though.

After some testing, you can in fact use every sidearm perfectly fine one-handed, even reloading a 9mm without any real fuss. There was one potential bug I'm going to look into and make an issue on, after I see if it's still around in a more recent version of the code I tested with, but all it did was make it so unloading the magazine sent it to the shadow realm of your amputated hand's slot.

Edited by Carver
Update: Issue has been made, besides said issue I believe all side-arms are perfectly usable as long as you have a single arm.
  • 2 years later...
On 15/03/2021 at 14:05, MattAtlas said:

most of these jobs have special equipment that people with one hand simply couldn't use as well. Things like armor and disruptors, for example

Was searching the forums where I could find the feedpack page rather than make a policy suggestion (but I can do that instead if you like, sorry for the necro lmao), I'd like to offer my two cents in regards to letting the XO/Consul be impaired in some way.

I think being given a weapon as part of a job doesn't mean you can or are even supposed to use it, though I mean this more in the context of the bartender getting a shotgun when they're not expected to be small arms certified ICly. None of my bartenders (save for Sherrie Scott) are small arms certified, they just point the gun at whoever's causing the problem and fire if it's really that dire. I've never been bwoinked or told ICly/OOCly that bartenders should have small arms certification to work on the Horizon, so this raises the question of whether or not it's expected for the other roles/people in command to be small arms certified. Plate carriers also aren't particularly difficult to lever yourself into one-handed, but I know both of these points are fairly small in the grand scheme of things, so take everything in this paragraph with a grain of salt.

Secondly, to parrot what's said by Carver:

On 15/03/2021 at 14:51, Carver said:

Consulars are not ever expected to fight. All of their defining equipment is bureaucratic, with sidearms being more of a 'here's if someone wants to kill you' rather than a requirement of the job, and they should not be treated like some Head of Staff expected to take charge in an emergency.

On 06/05/2021 at 09:04, Carver said:

I struggle to imagine how a handgun would be infeasible to use with one arm or from a wheelchair. I had expected it would be something more... job-pertinent, than a sidearm, though.

This, honestly. Let me play a Hegemonic consul who lost a leg in the Contact War, or a TCFL/TCAF (Biesel consul) dude who lost a foot or a hand or something. 

EDIT: Oh christ I wasn't on page two. Sorry for the necro! I'd delete it if I could.

Edited by dessysalta
I was NOT on page two, whoops.
  • Thanks 1