!!SCIENCE!!

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I'm extremely sad to see two trends become the norm:

1) Science being understaffed.

2) Science focusing on just prototyping from the prolathe, and all the "what happens if you x" questions being answered in OOC.

I think this is total butts, and we need to IC'ly push for actual experiments to take place. So I've made this thread in the hopes that we present experiment ideas/mechanics/"What if" questions that the research department can explore.

"Get your PhBro" Rules

Don't just answer questions here in an OOC manner. Experiment, and prove it! That's where the fun is.

Don't explain everything that happens if you x y or z. Again, we're supposed to research stuff.

Non-science departments: Cooperate more pls.

It's only science if you record your results!

Experiment ideas I have had:

1. What does supercooling and superheating plasma change how it can be applied? For example, how much can energy output from the sing be increased/diminished with different temperatures of plasma in the radiation collectors?
  2. Can we weaponize monkey cubes?
  3. How effective is telescience in fast response search/rescue?
  4. Can the supermatter be used to indefinitely harvest gas plasma?
  5. How effective are hull shields?
  6. Can toxins bombs be used for mining extremely quickly?

What other experiments can RnD do?

[*]How effective is telescience in fast response search/rescue?

I like all of your post except for this. Everybody already knows that this works extremely well, leads to metagame because of the OOC knowledge that there's no consequences to this, and is heavily not encouraged. Please no. Last thing we need is more people doing it.

Here a few more ideas:

Ouija Board using Adamantine Slime Cores

Plasma Heat-Volume-Molar equations

Gasses at absolute zero

Replacing people's blood with other substances (try this with IPCs and Diona or protohumans)

Injecting Slimes with chems to see how they react (credit to delta for this)

Building weird telecom networks

-Infinite Loop Network

-Automatic Broadcast Network

-Hack the Syndicate Network

Repair the derelict

Build containment rooms for anomalies (bonus points for harvesting their radiation for power.)

Try to make a RUST System (Good luck.)

Setup a teleportation network across all the Z-levels.

Mcgyver a bluespace cannon.

Use plasma bombs to strip mine.

Give the asteroid an atmosphere. (credit to duck for this)

Singularity testing

-Singularity growth speed

-Singularity movement speed (outrun the singulo!)

-Singularity reactions (aka, The Singularity Accelerating Collider)

Gasses several times hotter then the sun.

See how many implants you can put in a protohuman.

Dissect everything

-Aliums

-Wizards

-Syndicate (Gotta find them inplants for science)

-Vox

-Ninjas (Bonus points if the suit is still on.)

-Cultists (Don't forget to drain their blood for it's anomalious properties)

-Nar'Sie (You will need TK for this)

-Changlings

-BSTs

Dissect everything

love it

Few things because I feel bad not contributing:

Observing xenobiological specimens in captivity

Make one hostile, and pit it against another xenobiological specimen

Introduce it to fire, carbon dioxide, or other trauma

See what it can digest, up and including to another organic

Study its biochemistry (this would be v fluffy)

All or most of these may end up in the loss of your subject. For science.

I believe the RUST was never finished by the coder coding it before thye left, so will never become an operational system. You're welcome to go as far as you can though, I know I have.

I believe this many be impossible, as I believe asteroid tiles are a complete vacuum like space.

I believe the RUST was never finished by the coder coding it before thye left, so will never become an operational system. You're welcome to go as far as you can though, I know I have.

I believe this many be impossible, as I believe asteroid tiles are a complete vacuum like space.

It's possible with admin powers. Advanced proc call I do believe.

-BSTs

Haha good luck, they are under strict orders to be as obscure and un-understandable as what can't be explained about things that shouldn't be possible but somehow are.

-BSTs

Haha good luck, they are under strict orders to be as obscure and un-understandable as what can't be explained about things that shouldn't be possible but somehow are.

As a coder, I can vouch for this. They're only used in very specific circumstances. I'm not even really sure they should be acknowledged ICly, based off their code.

They're walking violations of multiple physics laws, and are elements of the fourth wall/OOC hands that appear ICly.

That being said, I find them to be the most fascinating thing on our codebase currently.

I feel like complying with this would get me beaten by admindevs, though.

They're only used in very specific circumstances.

CoughRoyCough

I'm not even really sure they should be acknowledged ICly, based off their code.

With the 14 versions of what they are out in the public, no one will ever know the real lore behind them (At least on Aurora, other servers will probably turn them into something more stupid)

I feel like complying with this would get me beaten by admindevs, though.

No, no,

/me slowly sharpens sword.

not at all.

They aren't. If you tunnel out a room in the asteroid, put in a door and crack open a canister, it'll pressurise.

You might need to steal some air pumps or the pipe dispenser from atmos though.

But yeah, it actually allows a really interesting feature or two that I'm not going to go into because reasons.

A lot of people who play don't frequent the forums tho.

Personally, I would suggest any of you making an RD character if you're able and try to get your staff onboard with a project focused on a specific subject. Such as cybernetic enhancements, developing additional theories on bluespace, xenoanatomy, even just chatting about wanting to do a project.

Too many people think "Oh, I'm a scientist, better get it up to max research and do nothing with what we have here", or just produce useless useless slow as hell RIPLEYs that are only useful for deathclamping. Ahem, but, still. Even if you're intentionally going for lawgivers or something, give the experiments some meaning. "Oh, this is interesting, the Lawgiver has a voice-activation function as well as a DNA scanner registering to the initial user. Hey, you, try firing this for me, would ya..."

Or...

"A prototype for an crossbow with a silver-steel alloy frame and energized projectiles? Holy hell, they fire poisoned energy bolts!"

You get the idea. Not saying that way of doing science is wrong, it's just not fun is all.

You would be surprised how many people actually visit the forums

This thread is helping because as mentioned in this thread, not all these have been thought by people who have played science.

I don't get how what you said is helpful to the thread.

I'll say it simply so that I don't get misunderstood.

Just encourage scientists to interact more with their work. They don't have to do anything super special such as superheating the asteroid and ruining everything that shift, or even if it's the same thing over and over again, just make your work have meaning. Things are more fun when you put effort into it.

Doing the same thing over and over again, with just different dialogue and a slightly different procedure gets boring. I like this thread because it invites people to do, well, actual science. Hazeri would drag a protohuman along to the outpost and test all these wonderful/fatal/helpful/harmful chemical concoctions, and actually discovered a few things with the tools in science that could benefit the station. Things that science doesn't typically do.

Think outside of the box. Holds a bit of meaning, don't you think?