YourDaddy117 - Command Whitelist Application

BYOND key: YourDaddy117
Character names:
Stefan Zivic, IRU-Retrospect, Locke/IRU-Jack(no longer played)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:
It's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure. I want to say it was maybe the summer of 2020 that I started playing. It's definitely been a whole year by now at least, but I almost want to say I might've gotten into it late 2019. 

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:
Personally I think some of the Command roles look pretty neat. I need a whitelist to play them.

Why did you come to Aurora?:
Considering SS13's HRP options are kind of limited I think you can do the math. I played a lot of Bay, I dropped off of Bay, and now I play a lot of Aurora. It's fun.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?:
Yup.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they?:
Aside from the occasional bwoink that comes with playing Security often and back when I was new I don't think I've been in trouble very often. There was that one time I played Mario Mario on April Fools, but that got resolved pretty quickly.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.
Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:
RP is when a bunch of nerds on the internet get together and decide to do some communal improv with a writing prompt. I mostly see it as a mixture of acting and creative writing. That's why I enjoy it so much I think. Sometimes it's the cringiest stuff you'll EVER read in your entire life and sometimes it feels like pure suffering. Other times it's actually pretty nice and gives me a nice warm feeling inside. RP should be about getting together and having fun within a cool setting. Pretty simple I think.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:
Depends a lot on the Head, but overall it's the same structure. A Head's number one job is of course to give a direction for the department, be there to guide new players, and make sure everyone's doing their job. It's a tool (hopefully) to keep people reigned in, especially for roles like Sec Officers. Not to mention that heads often decide the course of a round. A bad HoS will let sec completely dominate the antag or let their team get killed at the 0:30 mark. A bad Captain can call a shuttle too early, ending the round prematurely, or call for an ERT when it isn't needed. A good command player not only acts as someone that can give direction to their department, but more often than not is a needed balancing tool. Command has a very big hand in deciding how the round goes and it's their responsibility to try and help keep things fun for everyone.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:
 Someone with a whitelist, regardless of what it's actually for, is kind of placed on a pedestal of RP. What I mean by that is that they're expected to be examples of "quality" RP as subjective as that is. To be more specific to Command whitelist players, well, they should be examples of what their department should act like. HoS should be the model Officer, CE the model Engineer, etc. I want to be an example of how to act for new players and maybe even some older ones.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau Ceti and how it affected your character and their career?:
Jeez man, did you hit your head? You're supposed to know this stuff! God, I can't believe I have to remind you. Jesus christ. Fuck. Also shouldn't this be after we've established the character(s) I plan on playing with the whitelist and their roles? Seems a little premature to talk about how it affects them BEFORE we've even reached that point.

Long and short of it is that the NT and the other big Megacorps took advantage of the chaotic Solarian situation to form the SCC. Sol went crazy and split apart, a fleet invaded TC, and now there's a big friendly umbrella for all of the companies to hang out under. Was it all a big conspiracy orchestrated by the SCC? Is Miranda Trasen a ling? Who knows! What's important is that all of the kerfuffle has allowed for Tau Ceti to expand as some of the former Sol territory has been gobbled up by the Conglomerate. That's not to mention the Skrellian refugee crisis that's recently come up and swarmed Republic immigration offices. Political turmoil and chaos is what's going down in Tau Ceti and the rest of the Galaxy.

What does this mean for my character? Well with all of this commotion there's been a heavy need for more Command personnel. Undoubtedly new facilities and ships are being built. They'll need Command staff. People are likely being moved and others are being promoted. Thus Seiichi Iwai steps in to capitalize on the situation. He's been slowly rising through the ranks over the past few years and now's the perfect time to be handed a job as a HOP aboard the Aurora. He's never been one to let an opportunity pass him by.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?:
HOP, Liason/Rep/Consular, HOS, and Captain. I've never really played Medical or Engineering, but if I ever learn the roles I might consider playing Command within those departments as well.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:
 I intend on playing the other Command roles as I've said, but for the moment I have a character named Seiichi Iwai that I want to play as a HOP.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:
This is a stupid question. I'm not even going to pretend. What am I supposed to say here? What is anyone supposed to say here? "Well...I wouldn't say I'm.... great at RP..." You can't say you're "bad" or even "average" because why would you give a whitelist to someone who's not good at RP? And if I do say I'm good then I just look like a douchebag with an ego. This is a silly question that should be removed from anything it's on. I suppose maybe it serves it's purpose by weeding out people who may have too large of an ego to give a whitelist to, but it also intimidates those who are perhaps too humble about their RP quality. This doesn't deserve an answer.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action?:
Yes.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?:
Double yes.

Extra notes:
It's 1am and I am very tired.😀 Edited to fix some formatting goofs.

Edited by YourDaddy117

+1 they have played a fairly diverse set of characters with good backgrounds, and I am sure they will do fine. Solid rp'r.

My advice to you is do not be afraid to enable antag gimmicks within reason even if you could believably shut them down.

Good luck

You strike me as a good player and your characters seem to be well developed.
However, I couldn't help but dislike most of the answers you have provided. For the sake of honesty and improvement, I will indicate what I didn't like:

On 31/07/2021 at 10:08, YourDaddy117 said:

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau Ceti and how it affected your character and their career?:
Jeez man, did you hit your head? You're supposed to know this stuff! God, I can't believe I have to remind you. Jesus christ. Fuck. Also shouldn't this be after we've established the character(s) I plan on playing with the whitelist and their roles? Seems a little premature to talk about how it affects them BEFORE we've even reached that point.

First of all, this whole section is written in a sarcastic tone, at best. I am very sarcastic in-game and out-of-game but while the placement of the question in the whitelist format may be odd, reading this sentence as part of a Command whitelist request does not give me the best of impressions.
Continuing under that sentence, I couldn't help but pause upon reading this.

Long and short of it is that the NT and the other big Megacorps took advantage of the chaotic Solarian situation to form the SCC. Sol went crazy and split apart, a fleet invaded TC, and now there's a big friendly umbrella for all of the companies to hang out under. Was it all a big conspiracy orchestrated by the SCC? Is Miranda Trasen a ling? Who knows! What's important is that all of the kerfuffle has allowed for Tau Ceti to expand as some of the former Sol territory has been gobbled up by the Conglomerate. That's not to mention the Skrellian refugee crisis that's recently come up and swarmed Republic immigration offices. Political turmoil and chaos is what's going down in Tau Ceti and the rest of the Galaxy.

What does this mean for my character? Well with all of this commotion there's been a heavy need for more Command personnel. Undoubtedly new facilities and ships are being built. They'll need Command staff. People are likely being moved and others are being promoted. Thus Seiichi Iwai steps in to capitalize on the situation. He's been slowly rising through the ranks over the past few years and now's the perfect time to be handed a job as a HOP aboard the Aurora. He's never been one to let an opportunity pass him by.

Could you elaborate on how the recent changes in the Orion Spur have affected your character and/or career? Seiichi Iwai is a name I have not read on your list of currently existing characters so I reckon it's a  new one. Your answer is very vague, you have described in very broad terms what is happening across the known universe yet you barely touched on one of the characters you intend to bring as the Head of a department on the Aurora.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:
This is a stupid question. I'm not even going to pretend. What am I supposed to say here? What is anyone supposed to say here? "Well...I wouldn't say I'm.... great at RP..." You can't say you're "bad" or even "average" because why would you give a whitelist to someone who's not good at RP? And if I do say I'm good then I just look like a douchebag with an ego. This is a silly question that should be removed from anything it's on. I suppose maybe it serves it's purpose by weeding out people who may have too large of an ego to give a whitelist to, but it also intimidates those who are perhaps too humble about their RP quality. This doesn't deserve an answer.

This answer is the one I disliked the most. A roleplayer's ability to stop and think whether their roleplay is conducted reasonably or unreasonably may be difficult but achievable. I believe it is important for a roleplayer, let alone who is aiming to obtain something as game-changing as a Command whitelist, to be self-conscious and evaluate their own level of ability as a writer and roleplayer.
Not only you didn't answer it, you addressed it as "stupid" and consider it to be useless. This is not the kind of behavior I like to see from a player who wishes to obtain a Command whitelist.

That being said, at the time being, this application gets a -1 one from me. Should some of these answers be updated and/or tweaked, my opinion could change.
I will keep a close eye on this and hope to see some positive improvements!

Edited by OffRoad99
Applicant's reply deemed satisfactory. I removed my -1.

YD's commitment to a high level of roleplay is instantly recognisable when you bump into his characters in game. Even though I only saw him around towards the tail end of his lifespan on the Aurora, Locke remains one of my favourite IPC characters I've ever run into. I don't think he'll have any issues translating that to command level positions. It's an easy +1 from me, for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, OffRoad99 said:

This answer is the one I disliked the most. A roleplayer's ability to stop and think whether their roleplay is conducted reasonably or unreasonably may be difficult but achievable. I believe it is important for a roleplayer, let alone who is aiming to obtain something as game-changing as a Command whitelist, to be self-conscious and evaluate their own level of ability as a writer and roleplayer.
Not only you didn't answer it, you addressed it as "stupid" and consider it to be useless. This is not the kind of behavior I like to see from a player who wishes to obtain a Command whitelist.

He's being cynical about it, but it is a stupid question that more often than not gets meaningless answers. Everyone else treats it as a speedbump, and frankly put at least his answer is more interesting than most others. Take a quick glance through old species apps or whitelist apps and tell me how many people actually put any thought into the question and don't essentially dress up saying "about seven or eight out of ten" because they're too timid to self-criticise too harshly but also too afraid of putting a big number on their score and looking arrogant. Let's not pretend like this question is the lynchpin of anyone else's app, and it feels wrong to tear into someone for providing an alternative -- if cynical and harsh -- answer to it, when everyone else just drops a glorified "8/10 I think" and moves on.

2 hours ago, OffRoad99 said:

You strike me as a good player and your characters seem to be well developed.
However, I couldn't help but dislike most of the answers you have provided. For the sake of honesty and improvement, I will indicate what I didn't like:

First of all, this whole section is written in a sarcastic tone, at best. I am very sarcastic in-game and out-of-game but while the placement of the question in the whitelist format may be odd, reading this sentence as part of a Command whitelist request does not give me the best of impressions.
Continuing under that sentence, I couldn't help but pause upon reading this.

Could you elaborate on how the recent changes in the Orion Spur have affected your character and/or career? Seiichi Iwai is a name I have not read on your list of currently existing characters so I reckon it's a  new one. Your answer is very vague, you have described in very broad terms what is happening across the known universe yet you barely touched on one of the characters you intend to bring as the Head of a department on the Aurora.

That being said, at the time being, this application gets a -1 one from me. Should some of these answers be updated and/or tweaked, my opinion could change.
I will keep a close eye on this and hope to see some positive improvements!

Unfortunately the forums suck and I'm not going to spend my entire day screwing around with it to get the reply onto the forums. I would have very much liked to do that though because it means the reply is right here instead of having to click a link. Here is a pastebin: https://pastebin.com/SXfVPSB3 that I put the reply in. Sorry for getting this out so poorly, I tried to make it work.

54 minutes ago, YourDaddy117 said:

Unfortunately the forums suck and I'm not going to spend my entire day screwing around with it to get the reply onto the forums. I would have very much liked to do that though because it means the reply is right here instead of having to click a link. Here is a pastebin: https://pastebin.com/SXfVPSB3 that I put the reply in. Sorry for getting this out so poorly, I tried to make it work.

Hi. Yes, I was pinged of your, eh, bugged reply :D It's fine.

You honestly have replied and addressed all of my concerns, including the last one. I wholly appreciate you quoting that specific section of your IPC application, it gives a greater insight behind the motivation that pushed you to be negative when it came to rate your own RP.
That being said, conscious of what I read in your reply, I'm happy to have my -1 removed and to see you in action during the trial week.
Good luck with the application!

I had the pleasure of working alongside their HOP just today as my CMO Mahara Stokov earlier today, and I think they are a great fit for command. Though I feel the way they addressed the engineers that round came off as a bit callous for a member of command, but the situation was tense so I can't judge. Alongside this, my various other interactions with characters such as Locke and Stefan have only been positive. Last, but not least, their trial ends at the same time as mine so... Command trial buddies! A surfire +1, even if it doesn't mean much coming from me!

Edited by Kaizr
wanted to make the +1 gween :D

I apologize for my late reply.

I have interacted with HoP Seiichi Iwai in two different occasions and I like the character.
He's also one of the best-dressed HoPs I have ever seen in a SS13 server. He screams Sonny Crockett with that outfit!

He strikes me as a good bureaucrat who's willing to pitch into a Department when and if there is need of Command assistance, particulary those under his care.

I thereby offer a +1, as I look forward to see more of him in the future!

Edited by OffRoad99