Add a "Custom" for NBT Parent Corp Jobs

Marlon P.

There was a conversation about which corporations or factions are allowed to take which jobs in the new NBT. This is just a simple suggestion to add [Custom] as an option. This lets players have freedom to choose subsidiaries or factions and transition into the established groups easier while also having representation of minor corporations and guilds. Ie a unathi guild is set up by some players and they work in cargo.There was a conversation about which corporations or factions are allowed to take which jobs in the new NBT. This is just a simple suggestion to add [Custom] as an option, like citizenship and factions allow. This lets players have freedom to choose subsidiaries or factions and transition into the established groups easier while also having representation of minor corporations and guilds. Ie a unathi guild is set up by some players and they work in cargo. This would be policed just like citizenship and faction choices. And only be for non-command jobs. Like civilian cargo and internships.

Edited by Marlon P.

Seems absolutely pointless (And downright nonsensical) to me and contradicts the fact that the ship is supposed to be an SCC vessel, not some office building anyone can rent a slot on. I'd argue it actively defeats the purpose of trying to make the NBT a setting that seeks to provide greater integration and representation for our established SCC corporations. Furthermore, over time I have gradually come to feel that headcanon lore and entities is not really conducive to meaningful in-setting roleplay, and your roleplay mileage will be much better in an interaction involving actual canon entities than non-canon ones.

41 minutes ago, Marlon P. said:

Ie a unathi guild is set up by some players and they work in cargo.

This part of the idea in particular seems incredibly cliquey to me, and furthermore the idea of "unathi guilds" being on the NBT and involved with the SCC doesn't make any sense to me.

19 minutes ago, DanseMacabre said:

This part of the idea in particular seems incredibly cliquey to me, and furthermore the idea of "unathi guilds" being on the NBT and involved with the SCC doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't believe its cliquey to involve our whitelisted species' own organizations into the game. Can i ask why you think that?

4 minutes ago, DeadLantern said:

On the Unathi Guilds part, even though it is just an example, individual guilds would not be working on the Aurora or any SCC installation. Guilds do not export labor. You could be employed by Hephaestus who has ties to an Unathi Guild, however.

Another part would be suggesting that is changed a little. It could be fun to have chefs and cooks be from the Razi Snacks guild and give representation of the lore onto the ship. In my OP if i didnt clarify the suggestion is for lower ranking civilian jobs, internships, and outside roles like merchant.

6 hours ago, Butterrobber202 said:

it would totally get abused without heavy policing.

Main reason why I don't think this is a good idea. For example, we had to add a rule because of a pr that allowed people to rename and change their custom loadout items. Any feature that requires some kind of extra moderation policing is not ideal.

If anything, lore elements should have a proper representation. But it is a bit too early to make bold moves like adding species only factions when the nbt is not out yet.

11 hours ago, Alberyk said:

Main reason why I don't think this is a good idea. For example, we had to add a rule because of a pr that allowed people to rename and change their custom loadout items. Any feature that requires some kind of extra moderation policing is not ideal.

If anything, lore elements should have a proper representation. But it is a bit too early to make bold moves like adding species only factions when the nbt is not out yet.

I imagined it would be very similar to how you can currently custom set your citizenship and faction. Wouldn't that roll under the same rules and expectations?

And i don't mean to say the bold move of species only factions. I'm saying workers from any minor corporation. I'm imagining a tajara grocery company has 2 tajara cooks or cargo techs for awhile. Getmore has a cook. A skrell is on from a science lab.

Lore representation in this way seemed intuitive to me. Their corporate origin for working on the aurora seems just as or even more beneficial for roleplaying.

8 minutes ago, Marlon P. said:

I imagined it would be very similar to how you can currently custom set your citizenship and faction. Wouldn't that roll under the same rules and expectations?

And i don't mean to say the bold move of species only factions. I'm saying workers from any minor corporation. I'm imagining a tajara grocery company has 2 tajara cooks or cargo techs for awhile. Getmore has a cook. A skrell is on from a science lab.

Lore representation in this way seemed intuitive to me. Their corporate origin for working on the aurora seems just as or even more beneficial for roleplaying.

You can't actually set custom citizenship or faction, don't think that's been an option for a good while. 

• Gem locked this topic