Remove the ability for antags to create holodeck fires.

Guest 1138

This is going to be one of the few 'remove dis' posts that aren't terrible

I'd like to preface this with the fact that there is no way possible to escalate to this level of mass murder while also making it interesting.

Fire in general is ridiculously deadly and it murders super fast. It's extremely ganky and it screws up the atmos for all of the central hallways given its location.

I can guarantee you there will not be a single malf or traitor that can make this in any way interesting without borderline griefing with it. It's a horrid mechanic and it doesn't deserve to exist.

Could we please have this removed? Maybe we could have something different instead of holodeck fires.

I disagree one hundred percent. Perhaps in simply a maniac with a penchant for destruction but I feel having mechanics like this that can cripple the station are actually healthy for gameplay. What I would consider reasonable however is a tweaking of the ease with which you can start a holodeck fire. As it stands now it just takes one guy with an emag or a traitor AI or Borg, however I still think that's ok but its where I see an argument to be made.

It is more deadly with the holodeck placed where it is. In the other box-station derived maps, with the holodeck adjacent to the dorms, it has two walls with direct access to space. Holofires on those servers are deadly, but only to people inside the holodeck. Once the fire really gets going, it blows out the walls and vents into space.

Now it blows out the walls and vents into the primary hallway.

I do really like the ability to horribly murder people with the holodeck, that's awesome, it's the collateral damage that maybe needs to be toned down a bit.

Leave it.. When I'm a traitor I plan to use it as a distraction while I murder my victim.. Muahaha.

Not sure if you're serious here, buuuut. Plasma fires I've seen usually end up taking out like half of the station. It's not a distraction, it's an all-out murder weapon. The Holodeck's is much, much worse; considering it's right in the middle.

Leave it.. When I'm a traitor I plan to use it as a distraction while I murder my victim.. Muahaha.

Not sure if you're serious here, buuuut. Plasma fires I've seen usually end up taking out like half of the station. It's not a distraction, it's an all-out murder weapon. The Holodeck's is much, much worse; considering it's right in the middle.

Plasma fires usually only take out one or two rooms before tunneling to space and venting the place.

To be truly deadly they need a constant supply of fuel.

For example, the holodeck's endless flow of incendiary hot holoplasma.

I believe the holodeck is unique in that the floor tiles don't destroy themselves upon being set alight at their combustion source. As Vana said above, it's practically endless.

I disagree one hundred percent. Perhaps in simply a maniac with a penchant for destruction but I feel having mechanics like this that can cripple the station are actually healthy for gameplay. What I would consider reasonable however is a tweaking of the ease with which you can start a holodeck fire. As it stands now it just takes one guy with an emag or a traitor AI or Borg, however I still think that's ok but its where I see an argument to be made.

Arguably, that is true. You make the game somewhat more fun and 'balanced' by designing it with imbalances. More on this:

Unfortunately, given its location and overall destructive power, it's abused in rather uninteresting ways and none of the cases we've experienced in the past couple weeks or so were admin-approved in terms of asking for permission to mess with the atmos.

I feel you have a good point with regards to its location. One of the biggest problems I feel is the murberbone capability it has. People role-playing in the bar don't have a lot of time to get to safety. Perhaps a fair compromise would be some sort of alarm system? Like what happened or is happening to the malf AI overload power.

Personally?

I would prefer if air alarms could be hacked in the same way, but they flood plasma gas into the room instead.

A singular room, mind you. It'd take awhile and it'd be really easy to detect, as well. It doesn't ignite instantly until an AI or some such overloads the lighting circuitry/smokes.

That would be tricky. The atmospheric simulation in SS13 isn't particularly advanced, but it does respond to things like heat and pressure.

One possibility would be to completely fake the fire. Rather than having it affect real temperature or pressure at all, just have those turfs apply burn damage. That way it would 'burn' people to death, but have no affect beyond that.

That would be tricky. The atmospheric simulation in SS13 isn't particularly advanced, but it does respond to things like heat and pressure.

One possibility would be to completely fake the fire. Rather than having it affect real temperature or pressure at all, just have those turfs apply burn damage. That way it would 'burn' people to death, but have no affect beyond that.

So something like a new floor tile that looks like fire, applies burn damage, but otherwise doesn't increase heat or pressure or act like fire?