[RACE] Palora

Snakebittenn

8314bf8cce.png

(Yes they have tails but I forgot to draw it, sue me)

The Palora are a race of aliens that resemble bipedal turtles. They come from the planet Balder, originally, being much like turtles in that they ate underwater vegetation and scavenged corpses (they still have this diet today of scavenging and vegetables). Eventually after evolution, they took to the mountains of the planet and their society much resembled Feudal Japan, and it much does today. Balder has been ruled by the Telera dynasty for the past 600 years, under the same Emperor. (They live up to 700 years, this will be reflected by ingame code hopefully)

The Emperor runs the show, despite being THIS OLD, and his Imperial Court handles expansion and defense of various colonies. Most colonies follow the same political structure as the homeworld, however there are a lot of colonies that digress the further out from Balder you go. However, despite whatever political system, they all do pay tribute to the Emperor.

Their naming scheme varies depending on where they are. Near Balder, it's a simple schema.

Given Name, Family Name, Planet Name

Their given names have no real structure, neither do their family names. However, they do roll off the tongue quite well.

As of recent, Palora have adopted a new naming scheme that some follow.

Personal Name of Planet Name

Their personal names are zen-like in structure after observing old Earth customs.

So one's name would be, on an ID at least, Sansetsu of Gepolla

They mostly live a monk type of life, where most time is spent gaining wisdom, and helping others. However, some do take up a warrior type life (think Knights Templar or Sohei) where they use precision strikes to disable opponents. As a rule for their society, a rule which has been in place ever since their worship of the grand and godly Mosquin, they do not strike first. This extends from mere person-to-person fighting, to warring (outside of ritual spars, and training for the warriors) ((This rule doesn't apply to antags))

(i'll update this post as new lore comes in)

Mechanically, they have the same HP as humans. However, their shell comes into play. Attacks from behind them have their damage reduced, especially brute damage, and they are able to retreat into their large shells. This will severely reduce all incoming damage, however, they cannot move, or defend themselves, or really do anything until they come out. They have enhanced punches. They are unable to wear backpacks or satchels.

so yeah here's my very bad post, hopefully you guys will be interested in it and can give me criticism about what parts (All of it) are bad and what's good. see ya.

Edited by Guest
I'm just gonna throw this out there.

We have 6 playable ayylium races. 7 total. Not counting the less-fleshed out antagonist specifics (borer, xenomorphs). Don't you think adding another one would get a little ridiculous? Like. Yeah. Plus, while it's making an attempt to get away from the standard form of species, it's still a crew member species. Which. No variety added.

I'm honestly thinking if we want another playable species, we:

• Remove/retire one of the existing ones.
  • Go completely off the fucking reservation.

Like, how many times can NT meet another species and integrate them into the standard crew compliment to serve the same purpose as hunams? How believable is it, considering the wide variety that evolution is capable of producing. Better question: how fucking boring is it? Make it exciting, something completely fucking different. A non-crew playable species. Think, maybe, for example, something like the Keepers: non-human, definitely don't do shit that the crew does, but are still apart of the environment. Tracking?

Sales Pitch: Species that spawns with only one arm, and has constant bad vision, like, can only see 2 tiles out, but has thermal vision. It cannot stand atmospheres with oxygen levels higher then 30%. Their language is telepathic. They cannot wear hardsuits, and will die quickly in a vacuum. They do not take brain damage.

I would play a fucking sub-sentient plant tbh fam

Why feudal Japan m8? Are we saying they have a 'divine' Emperor but are actually ruled by a series of Warlords?

Yes, they have the windbag Emperor and a series of royals that coordinate colonization efforts and the defense of said colonies.

Why not make it more politically broad? It seems the Sol Alliance is the only faction made up of widely different worlds with varied politics under one banner.

Example: Different worlds with different politics but they all give lip service to the Turtle Emporer and his Turtle Shogans/The Imperial Turt-Court?

You could then expand on those turtle worlds. This would also give freedom to players to develop their own turtle backwater worlds.

Why feudal Japan m8? Are we saying they have a 'divine' Emperor but are actually ruled by a series of Warlords?

Yes, they have the windbag Emperor and a series of royals that coordinate colonization efforts and the defense of said colonies.

Why not make it more politically broad? It seems the Sol Alliance is the only faction made up of widely different worlds with varied politics under one banner.

Example: Different worlds with different politics but they all give lip service to the Turtle Emporer and his Turtle Shogans/The Imperial Turt-Court?

You could then expand on those turtle worlds. This would also give freedom to players to develop their own turtle backwater worlds.

Fine idea, expect OP to be updated at some point

I also suggest altering how their shells sit on their bodies as the large back shell suits four legged crawling creatures. I'd imagine their shells would be more Mass Effect Korgan-esk, with it being more form fitting yet still allowing the Palora to withdraw into their shells/carapaces if required?

Hell, in the spirit of tearing shit up they could be the human analogue's in the Theocratic "Universal Alliance"(or whatever) along with core Vox worlds (Vox worlds?! oh muh gawd!), some sort of biological machine race and a slave race of hyper intelligent jelly fish which have just crashed the scene and are now at war with the current core factions. Que shenanigans.

So generally like is this wanted as a thing?
I personally really don't want this for reasons that I don't really care to get into too much, but I will say that as quoted on the first page, the Head Coder (and also Head Admin and currently Host IIRC) doesn't want any new races unless they are completely different, which Humanoid Japanese Turtle People are not, I also recall the Lore Master having stated at one point that all the races we have right now fit a certain role he has for the lore and that cramming new species's into it would upset things. (Though you'd have to ask Jackboot if you want elaboration.)

In my view, if the two people most in power to actually get it put in don't want it, then it doesn't really matter how many people you get to sign a petition or whatever to get it in, it's not gonna go through.