[Accepted] Dragonspare's Head of Staff Whitelist Application

BYOND key: Dragonspare

Character names: Jack Mitchell, Samuel Rodriguez, Izkhan Mazdatao, GAMMA-6 and W.O.L.F.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: I think i just got my first year here, give or take, but assure i will keep hanging here

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I think i’ve been enough time in security to deserve a head character, more of this will be explained in the biography, striving aside from that, i would like to test this character even harder, not like a run test, but an endurance test, because when you’re a head, your failures are more likely to be pointed out and they will have a greater impact, depending on the situation, of course.

Why did you come to Aurora?: So, i’ve always liked to roleplay, one good day, my brother showed me up SS13 and Aurora, my english was very rudimentary at the moment, and i think it still isn’t that good, but i enjoy far too much this server.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: No doubt here, i’ve read the wiki parts of the whole department i’m playing on, except foresnics

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplaying is getting control over a character, doing every action matching with the personality of the character, of course, the personality is affected and deformed by their past, actual mood, curent situation and physichal state, said characters have knowledge from themselves, and playing a character thinking in your OOCly capabilities is bad, as only what the character knows should be worthwhile, it should be adviced that nothing OOC should affect IC, making said character consistent, and whole, roleplaying is thinking for the greater good too, at least for me, making it funny for others not making characters completely dull, a hard shell is okay, but a complete shallow and hollow character would be very boring to roleplay with.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

First and most important for me, ensuring someone if not yourself will train/teach/help the newbies and inexperienced at the department like cadets/apprentices/interns/nurses (as i hate when people quits departments because no one wants to teach them), second reasons will be to keep everyone safe, and to make sure that everyone will have a fair treatment, including public recognitions of good actions by the workers, private discussions when someone does something wrong, giving them the option of a break after they may have done too much (remember, your employees are that, employees, not slaves), try to understand the problems and take them to the right place (psychological to medical, criminal to security, atmospheric to engineering and so forth), and when everything is runing smoothly, to ensure it will keep going that way and try to improve their round by doing some random things (training, physichal test, briefing, keeping them informed, etc)

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Mainly, to be an expert in knowledge of your department, allthrough it’s not necesary, people will think that because you’re a head, you know everything about the department, i’m faulty in this aspect, as i lack any kind of knowledge in foresnics, being a role model is important too, not betraying staff’s decision to make yo a whitelisted player by breaking rules of the server, as to not show to be pretty easy to disrupt (anger, sadness, recent), sorry i’m a little short on this one, i never really understanded what it ment

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Izkhan Mazdatao

Character age: 35

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

(ATTENTION: this backstory is very long and the same that i uploaded for Izkhan’s original Unathi app, allthrough i’ve added new things to the end of it that are very imporant for this one, feel free to skip the first part)

Izkhan borned in 2423, in a little village on Moghes called Raz’Kar’Gath, his life was pretty average for a village Unathi, the clan leader saw potential in him to be a clan’s warrior, as many other Unathi, he began training on his teen years, when he turned fifteen the Contact War started, which one consisted on the Sol Alliance and the Jargon Federation arriving Moghes and changing the lifestyle and quality of most of the unathi in the capital under control of the Izweski Hegemony, many Unathi weren’t happy with it, and so the Traditionalist Coalition borned, to preserve the Unathi’s old lifestyle, suddenly everything changed arround Izkhan, everyone was getting ready for war, his village was with the Traditionalist Coalition, the side of the war that was against the “alien invaders” that were the Sol Alliance and the Jargon Federation, this whole speeches about the “aliens” corrupting the capital of Moghes and a civil war for freedom were given on the village all of the time, making Izkhan think that the outsiders were actually evil, when they just wanted to increase the Unathi life quality and “civilize” them.

The war was bad enough, but when he turned sixteen the first atomic bomb was dropped in Da’Ha’Den, after that it didn’t took long until all of Moghes was bombarded with nukes, ironically corrupting the land they wanted to cleanse, many of said bombs falled near the village where Izkhan lived in, but not near enough to destroy it, only to create a radioactive wasteland surrounding the village, making it dangerous to go out.

When Izkhan turned eighteen he was obviously forcefully recruited and sended to the war that was still going on Moghes, he was assigned to a small castle in the middle of nowhere, but to Izkhan’s bad luck, it was on the way to the Traditionalist capital, so, they were waiting for the Izweski to attack it one way or another, months passed and no signs of them, but one day, while Izkhan was patrolling the outer side of said castle, he Heard screaming and fighting from inside, he rushed inside, of course, just to find the lifeless body of one of his comrades in front of him, clothes torned, blood beneath the now limp corpse, just a meter behind the body there was a Unathi in a breacher suit that Izkhan assumed was someone from the Izweski Hegemony, the armored soldier raised his laser carbine slowly, rather sluggish, it carried a turned off staff on their back, Izkhan saw the sluggish soldier raising its rifle, as he started rushing at them, dodging under the first shot, to Izkhan’s luck, the Unathi in the breacher suit was not far from Izkhan’s original position, so before it could even aim for a second shot the spear of the young traditionalist Unathi was through the rifle, rendering it useless, the Unathi in the breacher suit let the carbine go, as Izkhan tried to yank out his spear from said gun, the pressumed Izweski soldier draw the staff from his back, Izkhan tanked the spear out in time to see the energy edge of a glaive form on the head of said staff, the young red Unathi hissed, backing up a step, raising his metalic spear to the other Unathi in a breacher suit, which one threw a swipe at Izkhan, he tried to block it by hitting the glaive with the same force with his spear, his eyes widened as he saw the glaive cutting clean the head of his spear, making it useless to harm, but the stubborn Unathi didn’t gave up, he thrusted with all of his strenght to the waist of the unknown Unathi, just to see his stick bounce off, he gritted his teeth, before he could even notice, the pressumed Izweski threw a vertical swipe at him, cutting through the right side of his face, rendering his right eye next to useless, he dropped to the floor limp, passing out from the pain, his enemy assumed that Izkhan was dead, and like that it walked away with its monstrous armour.

Later that day, Izkhan finally woke up, instantly noticing the unbearable pain in his face, he limped to his original post, grabbing some bandages and covering his whole face, pressing the wound, days later, a medical party arrived, to look for survivors, apparently, one of the guards of the castle retreated to a nearby village, only Izkhan, the ones who retreated and the traditionalist that hid themselves survived, the consequence from that is Izkhan (even to this day) being unsettled by energy melee weapons and breacher suits, only using the prior ítems when it’s needed, however, the wound was never treated with care before the medical party arrived, being worse a little bit, when the medics treated it, it was too late, Izkhan’s right eye was lost forever, he only had a blank right eyeball and a bitter taste on his mouth, and of course, a BIG burnt scar that to this day covers most of the right side of his face.

After the massacre of the castle where Izkhan was posted (it happened on 2440) he stayed a month of two out of said war, after those months, he went back to duty, luckily being posted on places that were not attacked, or at least, not a s heavily as that castle has been.

In 2447 the things were looking grim for the Traditionalist, the war was practically lost, armies were easily defeated by the Izweski troops, on that year, the Izweskis were doing a sweep around the Traditionalist supporters, including Ras’Kar’Gath, when a big group of them arrived to said village, the few warriors that were left did nothing, they were both outnumbered, and outgeared, as the only cassualty that day was the village chief, which one was beheaded in front of the whole village, as a proof of why you don’t mess with the Izweski Hegemony.

A little later that year, the village was surrounded by the radioactive wasteland, the chief was dead, and the warrior were only a handfull, including Izkhan, who stopped serving after the visit to his village, which one was threatened to be destroyed if they served the Traditonalists again, no other choice was left but to left the village, every single crestafallen Unathi of that village packed up their things and formed a caravan, which one was leaded by the hand full of warriors, they headed to the most nearby big city, which one was the Izweski capital,, Skalamar, as the group arrived, they were surprised by the technology there, but anyhow, they all looked for jobs in different places, some of them formed a gang on the streets, other were street urchings, some swore allegance to the Izweski Hegemony, but the more stubborn of the bunch, including Izkhan, kept their beliefs to hearth and kept shifting from job to job, being treated almost like slaves, being used for dirty jobs and paying them far less than the normal worker.

Months later, when Izkhan saw a shuttle arrive with the initals “NT”he asked to himself if he could have a job away from Moghes, he didn’t wanted to stay there anymore, the Mazdatao clan was practicly no more, he was treated very badly and his bosses were all of the Izweski Hegemony, so he looked and found out about the offier training program, and like that, he joined the cadets of NT, being trained for one month like the rest, the natural strenght of his race and the warrior training got him to do the cadet training fairly easy, being promoted to a Level 1 officer.

Years later, as he went through his days as an officer, he found out he could get higher ranks by studying different “arts” as he liked to call them, like that, he earned his warden bachelor and management masters, allthrough he had all of the requirements to work as a warden, he kept working as an officer, still issuing orders, most of the times obey’d by his companions.

As for some months ago from the present, the Level 3 officer and warden Unathi was transfered to the NSS Exodus.

Rest of the backstory on the NEW PART

NEW PART

As Izkhan arrived to the Exodus, he realized, this was the NT position when he needed to intereact with people the most, as he tried to keep his temper, restraining himself from insulting both humans and skrell at his hearth content, as the days passed, Izkhan was more and more dissapointed with the security at the station, alltrhough, he had seen some good and even exceptional members of security, half if not more of the overall employees of security was below his standarts, as he started adapting himself to this station, trying to understand that no one wanted to be there, not even himself. After his first month aboard the NSS Exodus, he had learned a lot, not leaving his old ways behind, but adapting them so he could be more comprehensive with the other crewmembers, including his code of honor, which one he decided to throw aside if it’s for the greater good and absolutely necesary, he learned a way to fix the dissapointing ways of security, it was to become the leader himself, as he realized he had the legal requirements for being a head down, he started to follow his new ambition.

His second month on station has passed, and he already had some test runs as an Interim Head Of Security, tripping on some rocks in his way, he tried to learn from every mystake, noticing that punishments and schedules are less severe than the ones when he was a warrior, after this time of enlightment for Izkhan, he still holds a grudge against the skrells, and his religión makes him hate the synthethics, he still has a long way to go, and he may never accept completely the ways of the other species. Still to this day, Izkhan is chasing the ambition of being a Head Of Security, wanting to take matters in his own hands

What do you like about this character?:

I like how i had to adapt Izkhan to new ways without disrupting too much the old ones, i like how perfectionist he is and how is that reason that he decided to be a head in the first place, i like that as a Head Of Security, he will respect his place and won’t get out the brig in some whiles unless it’s really necesary, and finally, i do appreciate his stubborness of even after all of this time, he keeps his traditions and old ways in some form with him.

What do you dislike about this character?:

I dislike that, i admitt, this character can be a little “edgy”, but it has to be like that when it has been through the situations he has, i still dislike how hard is to interact with people as him, because he has a hard shell, and he won’t care about most of the conversations, and finally, i will agree that his aesthetics enter in the edgy category too.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

He is fit for the job because he is looking for it, he wants to make security aware and organized, but without micromanaging his underlings, he has been granted with the Interim Head Of Security tittle from 3-5 times, and one of those times he was demoted, but worry not, i evolutioned the character and he has learned from his mystakes, the demotion helping me more than hindering me, as it was a critical point for Izkhan’s development on his road to become or not a Head Of Security

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I don’t like this question, i never did, so, i will give it a 7/10, because it’s average

Extra notes: If my english is still shit, pardon me.

And be SURE of reading all of the app before answering about past Izkhan, he has changed considerably in the two months that he has worked on the NSS Exodus

Edited by Guest

Dragon my lizardman, I would fully support you getting a head app because you are a level headed thinker and a joy of a roleplayer.

But you've had both your ups and down and I'd like to see those things explained before I see you in a head role.

First, The Good

Don't take being edgy as something bad, yes being needlessly edgy IS bad but him being from Moghes and a Unathi, the species that's born butthurt completely excuses him, there is nothing wrong with edge as longs as it's done tastefully instead of trying to slit your wrist every round for little to no reason.

Now one time I've had you around was I think yesterday (29.12.2016), where HoP went full postal after getting tatored with a tommygun + drum mag with the addition of all his armor and other firepower.

While most of the officers went ham at first, along with you, you were the one smart enough to realize that beating the HoP with normal security gear is impossible and decided to go back, gear up and actually told the others to disengage and gear up too instead of eating bullets.

I think you were even promoted to interim Head of security due to other heads dying and your reactions were quite superb with some pretty good plans on how to get the HoP out of central ring and into maintenance so he can't take any more hostages.

So far that round I have a few questions.

When do you think lethal force is authorized? When the suspect HAS a weapon or when a suspect USES said weapon?

Are you willing to negotiate with hostiles and meet their demands however ridiculous they were or would you rather risk the life of a hostage in a raid?

If an antag held HoP, CMO and the CE as their hostages, which one of them would you rather save?

Sorry if these seem like loaded questions but I think they're pretty important if you're applying for probably the most potentially dangerous role if abused.

Second, The Bad.

Right after that round you ruined my taste a bit, we've had a ninja who kept teleporting around and stealing shit, being generally quite annoying to security with us running around in maint trying to kill them.

After threats Izkhan was given a full on dark gygax fully armored and everything.

Now I didn't have much issue with the fact that later in the round you dueled the ninja 1v1 without weapons as you both ID and DNA locked the Gygax and there were other officers around guarding it.

My issue was when your character decided to unload on a space bear with civvies in the cone of fire.

Although I admit my character, Al-Afdal, did the same thing the difference in that is that he's a freshly re-assigned cadet while your character is a veteran officer.

Plus the difference in weaponry as you were using the Gygaxe's machine-gun while I was using a shotgun, that's a 3-round burst killing machine vs a 1 round snailfest of a gun. And the amount of shots you missed made me worried about all the windows leading to space you broke.

For this one I have one quesion, I know it seems a bit intrusive but could you post or screenshots(whichever you prefer) the skills your character has? If you don't want to post it, you don't have to it won't influence my opinion, if you don't want to post it in public just PM it to me.

And last, The Ugly.

Your character is an eyesore you picked the worst shade of red you could and those goathorns make you look like you have massive eyebrows, plus, who wears the black and red combo in 2458? What are you deathsquad? C'mon dude, it's the CURRENT YEAR.

2/10 would not bang.

In all seriousness I hope all these questions gave you something to think about and will help you in becoming a better officer and head of security, looking forward to your answers.

Coalf, Coalf, Coalf, thanks for this, for a moment i think'd that i was doing too good with my app, i relly appreciate this type of answers and feedback, so, without any further writing, lets jump right into it.

First, The Good

Don't take being edgy as something bad, yes being needlessly edgy IS bad but him being from Moghes and a Unathi, the species that's born butthurt completely excuses him, there is nothing wrong with edge as longs as it's done tastefully instead of trying to slit your wrist every round for little to no reason.

This is a pleasent surprise for me, as i was rather confused of why no one ever touched that point, and there, you described more or less the kind of edgy that Izkhan is, sometimes i even think i am TOO edgy to skrells or not edgy enough to humans, but, i really liked this point.

Now one time I've had you around was I think yesterday (29.12.2016), where HoP went full postal after getting tatored with a tommygun + drum mag with the addition of all his armor and other firepower.

While most of the officers went ham at first, along with you, you were the one smart enough to realize that beating the HoP with normal security gear is impossible and decided to go back, gear up and actually told the others to disengage and gear up too instead of eating bullets.

I think you were even promoted to interim Head of security due to other heads dying and your reactions were quite superb with some pretty good plans on how to get the HoP out of central ring and into maintenance so he can't take any more hostages.

Thanks again, i tried my best to capture the HoP, but alas, half or less of the security team obey'd when i told them to come to the armory several times, so it took thrice the time i wanted it to, and when we tried to hunt Faysan down maintanance with lethals we horribly failed.

When do you think lethal force is authorized? When the suspect HAS a weapon or when a suspect USES said weapon?

Good questions are coming my way, i can see it, so! when to use lethals?

I intend to use lethals when the threat on hand uses or tries to use lethal equipment on a crewmember to end their life, whenever some hostile threatens the life of a crewmember and they have the tools and the intend to do it Izkhan would go lethal, setting his code of honor aside from a moment, thinking in the greater good, even more if he detects that the threat has no "honor"

Are you willing to negotiate with hostiles and meet their demands however ridiculous they were or would you rather risk the life of a hostage in a raid?

It all depends, first off, i would try to see if the hostile has any BIG hole on their plan, to take them out without threatening the hostage's life, if there isn't any hole, i would try to barter with them, trying to make their demands lower, and when the deal is done, when the hostage taker goes to their escorted getaway, trying to set up a trap on the bigger window that's on their plans there, to clarify, whenever someone uses someone else as a meat shield (hostages) Izkhan loses all respect for them and tries with every one of his resources to take them to the brig or, in the worst of cases, to kill them off

If an antag held HoP, CMO and the CE as their hostages, which one of them would you rather save?

This question is....iffy, you don't describe the situation, it would all depend on WHICH HoP/CMO/CE, i don't mean to sound cold, but, if the only choice is to save one of them, i would need to know, the number of crewmembers in each department, the skill of the head of staff in question. All and all, i will leave this one at the HoP for the moment, because they sometimes control cargo fro becoming Cargonia, they can manage crew around, repurposing them and stuff.

If you want to specify in the future, i would happily answer again

Right after that round you ruined my taste a bit, we've had a ninja who kept teleporting around and stealing shit, being generally quite annoying to security with us running around in maint trying to kill them.

After threats Izkhan was given a full on dark gygax fully armored and everything.

Now I didn't have much issue with the fact that later in the round you dueled the ninja 1v1 without weapons as you both ID and DNA locked the Gygax and there were other officers around guarding it.

My issue was when your character decided to unload on a space bear with civvies in the cone of fire.

First off, i've made the mystake of not unlocking the DNA thingie at the moment, i was only thinking of the off chance of the ninja stealing it, it wasn't ID locked by the way.

I'm glad you're okay with the duel, many heads of staff aren't, and i understand, when Izkhan's on the commanding position he will only duel whoever seems "worthy" (another officer, antag that has done bad things, so long and so forth) About the Dark Gygax's onslaight on the bears, i admitt, it was really a mystake on my part, but i have an IC reason for that, Izkhan is not very good with automatic ranged weapons, with a shotgun or a rifle, he can deal with it, but sometimes automatic weapons get the best of him, i will try to avoid those with the best of my capabilities on future rounds

For this one I have one quesion, I know it seems a bit intrusive but could you post or screenshots(whichever you prefer) the skills your character has? If you don't want to post it, you don't have to it won't influence my opinion, if you don't want to post it in public just PM it to me.

Fuck imgur

The Good

The Bad

And last, The Ugly

Cheeky sneaky references there.

But now, really:

And last, The Ugly.

Your character is an eyesore you picked the worst shade of red you could and those goathorns make you look like you have massive eyebrows, plus, who wears the black and red combo in 2458? What are you deathsquad? C'mon dude, it's the CURRENT YEAR.

2/10 would not bang.

Not the first time i get that one, deal with it, and what's even worse....no one NEVER notices the ugly scar on the right side of his face, so REEEE

And i agree, i wouldn't bang that ugly red ligger

Anyway, i had legit fun answering to all of this shit, so, thank you and i hope i had cleared ay of your doubts

Thanks for the answers and clearing up the situations, I'm glad you answered every question I asked an pretty well.

Also regarding the third question that one was a loaded one, there really was no proper answer, but I agree with you on the fact that saving a HoP is probably the most important as he's the one who can issue access.

Hope to see Izkhan in a head position soon.

Hoh boy.. I remember my earlier days on aurora, starting out in robotics with you. It was a fun and awkward experience for sure! You've grown a lot RP-wise, and its always great to see you tending to the bar and conversing with all those who enter, or when you're in robotics.. Going to the bar (You lovable drunk<3).

As for Izkhan, I have had nothing but positive experiences interacting with him(Except when you deny me my hardon for medical treatment!), and it'll be great to see how he'll adapt and grow as a member of the command staff.

You got my support, bro.

Best of luck!

Looks pretty good except for the fact that he continued working as a normal officer after graduating from college, why? Sounds like a waste of money and time to not switch to a warden position if you already have all qualifications.

But other than for that, +1.

• 4 weeks later...