Lore Developer Application (Human) - Chaznoodles

Ckey/BYOND Username: Chaznoodles.

Position Being Applied For (coder, mapper, spriter): LoreDev (Human)

Past Experiences/Knowledge: Was a major part of Apollo lore writing, write scripts, worldbuilding for DnD/40K campaigns.

Examples of Past Work: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BvuBuhRrFwtHfi7GgUsaAmOgh__CBLS4RNpWf8l8sTI/edit

Preferred Mode of Communication (Skype, Steam, etc.): Discord/Steam. Chaznoodles on both.

Additional Comments:

95bd7bc1c4.png

Current lore that concerns humans is written by loredevs from other species, and is extremely minimal in concern to humanity itself, focusing only on their interaction with other races for the majority. I plan to make a more human-centric base for them, as an independent species, as well as fleshing out human planets and their history and culture. This would also involve expanding on current lore regarding humanity, whilst keeping it in a readable and entertaining format, because nobody wants to read irrelevant textwalls.

also i a human therefore a prime candidate for human loredev give job

Edited by Guest

I feel that having a Human-specific lore developer would help greatly with making Humans actually competitive. I support Chaz being the lore dev with one condition, he continues going down the path where there have been large amounts of unrest and possibly continuing it further to make Sol have an even more "Human First" mindset.

I think I've heard Chaz talk about Human supremacy stuff in OOC so I'm assuming he would continue going that way. I just feel adding more of that looking down on other races sort of feel that Atlas brought would definitely make the lore more interesting.

I feel that having a Human-specific lore developer would help greatly with making Humans actually competitive. I support Chaz being the lore dev with one condition, he continues going down the path where there have been large amounts of unrest and possibly continuing it further to make Sol have an even more "Human First" mindset.

I think I've heard Chaz talk about Human supremacy stuff in OOC so I'm assuming he would continue going that way. I just feel adding more of that looking down on other races sort of feel that Atlas brought would definitely make the lore more interesting.

Bugs and cats taking our jobs smh, liggers are aight

That's the idea, to work in conjunction with the other lore developers to create a set of appropriate lore for humanity that would influence IC actions. For instance, Yoiko Ali, as I believe, is from Mars, and works this well into his characterisation. I want to make that sort of thing more common by making the lore more accessible. I also want to work with them to create roleplay situations and desirable conflict through lore.

f u c k b u g s

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I haven't had an actual loredev application in awhile; I've had a lot of good luck appointing people that say im doing a terrible job and are particularly well worded about it.

A human developer for 'the entire humanity' may be a bit of a misnomer, I am not sure how to feel about it. Humanity isn't whitelisted and one of its main points is that it's more diverse than the other alien races. We have developers for individual races because they're whitelisted and need someone to develop them and handle whitelist applications.

The administration is uncomfortable with you being on the staff and have voiced as such but I still believe in giving everyone a fair shot. What you've applied for has been asked for by my developers (lordfowl specifically, who I asked to provide a proposal/game plan rather than his claimed "full autonomy and authority" on this) and some others so I'll give it the merit I'd give any other application. If we have a productive talk here and I like your style then I can talk with administration with some solid arguments in your favor. But a human developer is still something I'm sticky about, so I'll lay out my full concerns and thought process.

Humanity would be more difficult to lump under a single developer. Imagine having a loredev responsible for all of humanity in 2016. There's over 190 countries in the world and we're all pretty different culturally.

A human overseer with full access would be responsible for;

The Sol Alliance, Republic of Biesel, and the Frontier.

The Sol Alliance I'm glad to hand to someone to oversee. Bokaza handled it previously before he resigned and it was a blast. Biesel is more of a collaborative effort though it's me pushing a lot of its current story arcs. The Frontier, with the exception of the names like Elyra and the Rim Union, is an intentionally vague area left for the players to write their own borders and backstories (within reason).

As well our human factions have radically different approaches to aliens, themselves, and one another. Tau Ceti has become a 'last refuge' for equality between the alien races and humanity. Its borders are swung wide open (if you apply to work for NT), job opportunities are plentiful (with NT), easy access to university (if you take an NT scholarship)and a significant part of its population believe in liberty and equality. That said, it also serves as a puppet government for NanoTrasen, with a questionable number of its idealistic laws and constitution coincidentally helping NT's bottom line with a cheap, easily replaceable labor force and obligating the intelligent and gifted college graduates it gave scholarships in NT funded universities. And its independence is owed to NanoTrasen holding the very existence of the economy of the Sol Alliance hostage during an unfathomable economic crisis.

And its surrounded by the Sol Alliance. They are farther to the right. They are the vestigial empire that are deeply resentful at the independence and success of Tau Ceti, which would otherwise be one of the core worlds. They are more hostile to integration of alien races, patronizing and condescending towards the Frontier, and increasingly hostile to the idea of emancipated synthetics. They are unquestionably powerful but they can't overtly use their power in grand offensives or orbital bombardments, and they consistently struggle with a shaky economy kept stable only by the virtue of megacorporations.

How would a single developer feasibly handle having the authority over 'humanity' as a whole when currently its divided into three (Sol, Tau Ceti, Frontier) with conflicting goals, ideologies, etc?

I'd actually be willing to give Chaz a shot in this. His player conduct had to improve, though I can definitely see him bringing a lot of conflict through his decisions, which is good because I'm tired of this stupid hug box thing on station and want to shake it up by letting racism slip into actual corporate policy besides what LF is doing with Vaurca which I'm loving by the way. The only objection I really have is that player conduct needs to improve.

im going rouge here :^)

The administration is uncomfortable with you being on the staff and have voiced as such but I still believe in giving everyone a fair shot.

I'm curious why they've not voiced so on this thread. I can probably name the members of the administration that have voiced their displeasure, as they're most likely ones I'm not too pleased with myself. Anyways, as far as I'm aware, and as far as numerous staff members have said, they have absolutely no bearing on the loreteam or it's developers.

Humanity would be more difficult to lump under a single developer. Imagine having a loredev responsible for all of humanity in 2016. There's over 190 countries in the world and we're all pretty different culturally.

That's why both myself and Delta have applied. We communicate well with each other and get on to a good degree, enough that we can give constructive criticism without either feeling down.

How would a single developer feasibly handle having the authority over 'humanity' as a whole when currently its divided into three (Sol, Tau Ceti, Frontier) with conflicting goals, ideologies, etc?

It wouldn't be handled as a whole. It would be divided up into it's seperate parts, and interlinking lore written for each part. Frontier can be left mostly to it's own devices/player-submitted lore which can be read through and approved, because as you said, it's intentionally left vague. If both myself and Delta are both taken on as loredevs rather than it being left to one developer, referring back to us both applying for the same job and getting on with each other, we could easily take one of the remaining parts each and write for it, swapping any ideas and criticism back and forth to improve the quality of the written work. As we're two different people the conflicting goals/ideologies would probably come out in itself without having to be forced through abnormal writing.

As a question, would Nanotrasen fall under human lore? The corporation itself is primarily human-run, as far as I'm aware, as well as "maintain(ing) a direct presence in over 75% of human states". It'd be pleasant to turn Nanotrasen back into the shady bad guy pretending to be good, as to give characters reason to mutiny/reason to work with antags rather than getting their valids, thereby promoting roleplay over gunplay.

I'd actually be willing to give Chaz a shot in this. His player conduct had to improve, though I can definitely see him bringing a lot of conflict through his decisions, which is good because I'm tired of this stupid hug box thing on station and want to shake it up by letting racism slip into actual corporate policy besides what LF is doing with Vaurca which I'm loving by the way. The only objection I really have is that player conduct needs to improve.

Hugbox is dumb, which is part of the reasons I've applied for this. I want to give humanity reasons that, with basing in lore, will actually give them reason to dislike the other races, other than "they took muh jerbs". This would lead to further IC conflict and roleplay based on racism, which seems to be a topic avoided by the majority in favour of completely ignoring the differences between races.

Player conduct can go die smh I dindu nuffin :^)

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I've heard this cropping up more recently and it's vexing - how is Aurora becoming a hugbox? Have I failed in portraying the lack of equality between the species, and if so, in what ways would you improve on that?

I've heard this cropping up more recently and it's vexing - how is Aurora becoming a hugbox? Have I failed in portraying the lack of equality between the species, and if so, in what ways would you improve on that?

It's not the lore's fault so much as certain groups of players. Hugbox, in short, blunt terms, means a circlejerk. In less vulgar terms, a groupthink - " the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome". You'll see humans cucking their own species in favour of the lesbian Tajaran mafia, or their fembot buggerbuddy. There needs to be more legitimate reasons backed up by lore for racism to take place to make this thinking less common, as there would be in a situation where your space is being invaded by wild catbeasts, giant bugs and savage liggers, as well as artificial creations that pretend to be people. In the current state, as previously said, this racism is currently restricted to "they took ma jerbs".

Skrell are aight tho, squids are coo

Yeah what Chaz said. The lore isn't really failing in the parts of not having enough reasons to hate each other but it is more that the players are very accepting of the races and most of the time if you try to be racist, you just get shutdown by the rest of the crew immediately.

I have been working on making very arrogant and "only Humans and Skrell are legit" Skrell characters that have been semi-successful on getting others to jump on their racist bandwagon.

Now, on the part of the Human loredev having to also write lore for NanoTrasen. If this hasn't changed, the Board of Directors contains a good amount of Skrell and of course there are Humans there. So, those two races are pretty much the ones who get treated best in the company.

Whenever major stuff happens with NanoTrasen or at least would he something that the CCIA had say in, Jackboot would just talk to me about it. I think the lore is pretty good currently for NanoTrasen but I'd be fine working with people who are working on NanoTrasen lore.

I have been working on making very arrogant and "only Humans and Skrell are legit" Skrell characters that have been semi-successful on getting others to jump on their racist bandwagon.

Never seen a badly-played Skrell, to be perfectly honest. They seem to be one of the only races, bar Vaurca so far, that have adhered to their lore fully, with both the benefits and downsides that brings to a character.

I think Chaz has an unhealthy tendency to say "Fam, nigger, shiiiiiiiiiet," and the like ICly on Woodrow, but that's about it. He's an exceptional conflict RPer, he's a cheeky but honest chap, his character Keelin's racism was perfecto. Suffice to say he captures the cancerous and unpredictable personality of the human race perfectly.

All cheekiness aside, I really like Chaz and his personality. I'd pick him over xxNeonLatexDragonxx and that kind of like to rule HUMANITY any day.

I've always felt that the humanity isn't as fleshed out as I'd like it to be and after reviewing your sample work, which I find quite nice, think that you should be given this chance. I'm also in agreement with Youjustgotowned regarding the following.

"I feel that having a Human-specific lore developer would help greatly with making Humans actually competitive. I support Chaz being the lore dev with one condition, he continues going down the path where there have been large amounts of unrest and possibly continuing it further to make Sol have an even more "Human First" mindset."

And this

" just feel adding more of that looking down on other races sort of feel that Atlas brought would definitely make the lore more interesting."

Furthermore, there's a bit too much of what is called a "hugbox" also mentioned in this thread, I'd like to see the distrust Tajara should have or looking down upon the Vaurca. Even distrust between certain human factions would be nice, which iirc, is present in the lore.

How open would you be to taking input when developing human military, security, and policing organizations?

I'm always open to input and criticism, though I have an intended direction for humanity. I'm more than happy to listen to input, but if it doesn't fit with what's intended and cannot be adapted to, it'll be politely refused.

As mentioned by JB, I was the functionally the human loredev at some point before I quit, with Hive having oversight of the frontier lore, but doing very little with it due to its freeform nature. I've actually talked to Delta and I like what he has in store, basically a gradual turn towards a more dystopian version of Sol. If you two can make due working with each other, I'm sure can create something truly horrifying for the common joe and his feline neighbour. In the meanwhile, I'm open to giving a brief on what's been going on should you get accepted.

Ohh, and one thing. I know I have no place in making such requests, but I would be eternally grateful if you didn't change the core lore of Mars. It's my brainchild and the thing I invested most time in.

• 3 weeks later...

Me and Chaz are complete opposites and we shared few agreements, I honestly want more racism to cats. I play mostly cat chars and this could end up with a few humans face being scratched up then the cat pouting off. People have been so deep into the lore of the other races that it out paised the humans and left their racism to the only true phrase, "day took meh job" I will support Chaz becoming a lore dev

• 2 weeks later...
Disagreements or no, you would not be let on staff due to the number of administrators who do not wish to ever see you in a server staff position ever again.

If you've got an issue with me, rather than trying to slander me through personal attacks and unwarranted aggression in threads I'm part of, create a thread dedicated to your salt, because I'm pretty tired of you throwing your spaghetti at me on unrelated threads.

If someone could lock this, seeing as I've retracted it due to the aforesaid reasons, that'd be great.