Departmental markings for IPCs

So we know IPCs are fragile little babbus that needs air around them to not melt, and clothing for most synthetics seems a bit odd. Security/Engineering IPCs would be manufactured with extra a tough chassis, and medical IPCs should come with a very unarmored chassis for mobility. This should be a default setting in our universe.

But for balance reasons, this cant really be the case, so my suggestion is to introduce a loadout slot for IPCs, basically, their default gear, but invisible (Or sprited department colored stripes if anyone wants to touch that), maybe a pair of pants only while the rest is hidden.

It would occupy most gearslots and would probably need its own loadout slot tab. It would cover all default jumpsuits, armor and gear for various departments like the warden's armored gear, officer's stab vests, med/sci labcoats, sterile gloves and so fourth. Maybe even throw in the option for your boots?

Alternately.. IPCs could be given a verb to hide the sprite of the clothes they were wearing, jumpsuit, overcoat, hat etc, but it would still show up on inspection. (This wouldnt apply to void/rigsuits).

I feel it would make more sense for synthetics not to wear all kinds of obstructing gear that would undoubtedly fuck with their cooling systems. And perhaps it'll give them a more creepy and alien feel to those around them. So they're viewed as more of a machine instead of a person. Separate us from them.

...I mean, it seems sort of dumb to me that an IPC would be capable of wearing clothing except not really.

If you wanna have clothes, you gotta wear the clothes, that's that.

In my opinion the gear harness fits this purpose well enough.

The only things I could get behind this sort of idea for is for boots because robot feet and eye slot stuff because glasses look fucking stupid on most IPCs.

Vaurca don't wear most clothes because its painful to them when it pinches their carapace joints. Dionae don't wear clothes so none of the nymphs are the one covered out of direct sunlight. Yet there are only protocols for tajara being allowed less clothes. I definitely see why robots shouldn't wear clothes, but its for a different reason than a physical need. Saying it interferes with heat cooling is a good answer and would highlight their alienness. +1

If it was optional then sure, why not, give people the choice to do it. But if it is mandatory for all IPCs then I really don't like the idea. Not allowing IPCs to wear normal clothes would hurt a lot of IPC characters and how they convey their personalities, who they are and what they are all about imo.

Vaurca don't wear most clothes because its painful to them when it pinches their carapace joints. Dionae don't wear clothes so none of the nymphs are the one covered out of direct sunlight. Yet there are only protocols for tajara being allowed less clothes. I definitely see why robots shouldn't wear clothes, but its for a different reason than a physical need. Saying it interferes with heat cooling is a good answer and would highlight their alienness. +1

Fun fact. Dionae and Vaurcae aren't actually excused under CCIA Uniform regs and have been told to put clothes on before. May wish to get CCIA to reflect this.

• Gem locked this topic