Give the medical examination rooms at least a bit of usefulness

KingOfThePing

What's up guys, small penis here,

Today I played medical and got approached by a crewmember with empty medical records if I could do a complete physical on them, so I took the standard medical record template (found here: https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Guide_to_Character_Records) and went into the examination room to talk to the patient and fill out the record (so he could put it into his character setup medical record). Then I noticed something. You cannot actually...examine much in the examination room. Sure you can do the grabby-inspecty stuff and fiddle around with the sthetoscope and penlight but not too much else. The third and fourth thing on the records is "Height" and "Weight" and I noticed you have no way to actually determine that as a doctor.

So here is my suggestion: Add tape measure and a scale to the examination rooms. It could work like this: When using the tape measure on a person said person gets a prompt to write their desired height into said prompt, which is then seen by the person measuring. Something like "after carefully using the tape measure you could determine that this person is NUMBER UNIT tall."

Basically the same with the scale. Someone steps on it, the doctor (or person itself) left clicks on it and a prompt for the person on it pops up. again, what was typed in appears as a message, visible for all nearby. "after a short time the marker on the scale settles down at NUMBER UNIT."

As usual I do not know how much work is needed for such a, some would say, mundane suggestion but it would add some RP possibilities on extended rounds and may encourage some medical players to call in more people for physicals. Some developer input here would be appreciated.

Edited by KingOfThePing
  • 5 months later...

This is actually a nifty idea, but information such as this should be placed in character setup, not typed randomly every time you measure a person. Metric Kilograms is a perfect unit to use as it is a worldwide standard almost everywhere and plenty of conversion calculators exist. People would start with a standard number if they don't customize it, just like character age is locked at 30, just make it a well average number for height and weight. In all this is actually a good idea and I'd love to see it. I don't play medical, but perhaps this might give people reason to "schedule" checkups for their characters if the docs actually feel like the game helps them do those and are confident in them.

Metric, definitely.

(unfortunately, most of our playerbase is probably american, but we're devs, har-har.)

This could be coded into the loadout, and is certainly possible.

(see : bay, with you being able to choose your body type such as height and weight  and you can see it when you examine them , e.g : Greytide McBaldie is of normal height and slightly overweight.)

And the measuring tape could just spit out the actual number. Here's how it would go.

If you put your height to be...

80 units to 130 units, you would be examined as short.

130 units to 180, examined as average.

180 and above, examined as tall.

But if you want the EXACT number in the character loadout, you need the measuring tape.

Same could be applied for weight.

Let people just choose their unit of measurement and have the game automatically translate it to both. Personally I'd also prefer just entering height/weight in character set-up over having to type it in every time someone measures or what not.

• Gem locked this topic