Alternative map/setting suggestion

Question: how possible would it be to make tajara default and unwhitelisted when using this for an event map? I feel like it would only be fair to be open access when playing on Adhomai and could be a way to introduce interested players to playing tajara who otherwise might not be. Naturally whitelist enforcement wouldn't apply to playing adhomai events.

World War theme, trench warfare, snow and hunting. This sounds moderately awesome to me, I ain't got nothing to lose, don't see why we can't at least try it. If it doesn't fit can just go back, but I like the idea, a lot. I can imagine the war torn Tajara standing on the front line fixing his bayonet. I'd be down for this, of course I'd like to see more jobs, and perhaps a solid solution to race whitelist since I'd like to see more Tajara then weebs typical humans.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I love it! Great way to explore the setting. It might bother some people to have to make new characters but i believe itll be a success once that wariness from certain elements is worked out from them.

I've experienced it. Yeah, this won't roll for Aurora Station, the server. But as a stand-alone, once a week for a few hours, sorta group thing- this is probably the greatest thing to come about in a long while. My only grip is the bolt action rifle has no wield sprite, and we need more variation for winter clothing for non-Tajara. And, there's not much in the way of personalization to many of the areas- nor space heaters. Nor oxygen tanks for humans. But- these things get fixed and this is something I can see myself playing whenever possible.

hey all! So I actually got to play two rounds of this, and I can say with FULL pleasure, this Tajara/ Adhomai station has to be the best experience of roleplay.

I will agree with Armory and his statement: This is NOT meant for the general crowd of Aurora that play for the space station. This little thing is AMAZING but is probably more meant for the very specific niche that enjoy actually roleplaying and doing basically chair rp (at least in my experience). But while I say chair rp (and hear collective groaning) I do have an interesting story. So enjoy this story!

"I was the commander of the fortress, Commander Mi'juul. All was relatively quiet in the town, we had spoken to the hunter, we traded, a wanderer came into town and we allowed him to stay for the night. Yet... something was amiss, my Levy, Coman, was attacked!  later it was discovered the hunter had shot at one of my soldiers and actually killed the town's blacksmith! He was to be hunted down himself and brought to justice. Yet during our expedition into the wilds I was foolish enough to become separated and I was trapped within a cage set for a larger animal, or perhaps it was designed to capture Tajara?

I tried to break free but it was useless when the hunter approached. I didn't know him well, he was always quiet. He dragged me through the snows of Adhomai deep into the forest, I yowled and begged for help and to let him free me, he said he was to hunt a game, a most dangerous game... the mighty Cave Geist, and he needed live bait. He dragged me within the dark and dreary cave, shrieking and yowling, banging his ice lance against my cage "MITENKA! DINNER!" were his cries, as I looked around from within the cage I saw blood. Blood everywhere, bones of Tajara, some were old, some were young and small... how long has he been doing this? It was dark, and he turned to my cage, unclasping it. Then I saw it...

A huge creature, easily two to three Tajara men standing on top of one another, fur as black and thick as the cold steel of a tank, claws as long and sharp as the scythes used to slice wheat, but these were to slice and flay Tajara, and its blood curdling shriek. Its massive paw swiped at the M'sai hunter and I heard a sickening crunch. I didn't bear to look and my feet carried me faster than I could think.

I did not need to look back to know the hunter was dead, slain by the creature he so desperately wanted to hunt. I collapsed in the snow, wheezing, tired, hungry and lost. I returned back to the village unscathed, but my heart ached from the fear. Never again will I return to those caves to the southeast... never again..."

And that was all on extended!! Thank you Mofo for playing the most dangerous game and having a spectacular show! Even if you are not mildly interested in Tajara lore, at least give the server a try! 

hello ?

this would be terrible as a rotation map. a sparsely sprinkled playtime, maybe a few rounds a day in a few days out of a month, it would be an excellent design.

as cool as the idea is, however, it presents some flaws.

1. the artificial restriction of players in order to establish a lore-abiding presence. whereas the aurora setting is stable and whitelists are easily able to be defined in their restrictions, a fluctuating map with fluctuating settings will invalidate the effort invested by the playerbase to fill out their preferential roles and characters unless they subscribe to the tajaran whitelist.

2. a lot of our players will not and do not grasp concepts of integrating into a society outside of a fictional anything-goes office & cafe in space. the tenuous nature of a military occupied village will be lost on many.

3. it is not the NSS Aurora, the main reason people come to this server. frequent deviation to the setting will make this a different server altogether.

4. i do not seek to withstand the oncoming ex post facto passive aggressive Burger-esque fallout and direct arguments between players from half of the actively engaged playerbase demanding their two-cents be heard about having "wasted their time", "this is dumb", "i hate x for not rrrrrping (probably an altercation between a purposefully shitbag soldier and a commoner)", and "thats not how you shouldve played that role :/". limiting it to an event will make the situation a much more enjoyable novelty than something people increasingly become more frustrated over when a lot of us are obviously interested in this concept minus the bowls of cold moist sauerkraut among our ranks. like crossfire, it's almost always exciting if you aren't already burnt out.

mulled it over. seems like a great idea. restrict it to sparse events and it should play out nicely. this is a must-have for it to not get stale.

I agree with the idea of it being an irregular event map and not in daily use, at the very least I thought that was the intention, to have an occasional adhomai round. Another big thing I'm hoping for is that it'll set a precedent for more lore maps in the future. If people are receptive to it and its successful, maybe there can be a moghes map and a jargon map and so on. There's a bit more at stake here than just playing on Adhomai, its a test of the overall concept of possibly bringing gameplay to the farflung corners of our universe that are rich in lore.

I've played a few rounds on the map now, and obviously as tajara guy, I liked it far more than our standard space station. Menown was excellent enough to host, and we had an absolute blast. I really felt like the setting more strongly encouraged cooperation and role play as the lack of radios really forced us to find each other and talk face to face. The dark wooded wilderness all around the village is full of opportunities. The village could get together and settle it, making new houses and expanding. Or an aspiring antag can always hope to dart off into the dark woods and try to live off the land when the constables wisen to their activities and essentially make an outlaw out of them. In the round where I played as a hunter, catching people into my cage and dragging them off to be fed to a horrible monster in a cave, I really felt the tension like no other. There was no cramped corridors with airlocks, no AI to bolt me in, no headset radios to scream "halp! Huntets cottage!" Just me and the open wilderness, and a dinner date with a cavern geist. It just felt so liberating, I felt so free. I didn't have to worry about depressurization, or an engine break down, or sec borgs hunting me down. Unlike on Aurora, there was tension if I would actually get away with it, whereas on the ol space station I know for a fact from the start that I wont but move anyways because that's what antags do. The analog nature of it all was so conducive to strong role play and it added weight to everything people in the village did, since there was no miraculous space magic to clone the dead or fix every problem like waving a wand, yet also no way to render the map unplayable with environmental hazards. It was paradoxically more perilous yet also more forgiving. In short, it was an excellent time and worth experiencing every once in awhile.

My suggestions:

Spawn everyone with a lantern, the woods are DARK. And in higher pop rounds I can see what lanterns that are available evaporating.

Make it so it is a bit less cold, or otherwise make it so xenoes aren't given the impression they're freezing to death even when they actually aren't. The way the warning text is in game makes you think you're dying even though its only cold enough to do minor damage and you can live indefinitely in it. Its annoying. Maybe add space heaters to the houses or hotel?

Lastly, lowering the respawn timer to 10 minutes feels far more appropriate. Medical isn't very fantastic and there's no cloning, so being able to jump back into the game sooner would be a really good remedy to keep the whole events rolling.

• Gem locked this topic