Character Feedback: Samara Watson

1 hour ago, Ornias said:

this isn't feedback

Neither is this. Bet you're fun at parties.

RoseTango already knows I think Sammo is a diverse and complex. Headstrong (a bit too much at some points) who's easily believable and an enjoyable influence on RP and rounds. Hence it was left unsaid.

Edited by Bear

I like Sammo as a character, generally quite pleasant to be around and definitely good to have on the engineering manifest. Seems to have an interesting personality.

One thing I don't like about her as a sec player is how sometimes she seems to try and lawyer the regs to get out of situations, demands to know what our department is doing over common and otherwise can be a bit hostile when receiving charges.

Thumbs up from me in general tho.

Sammo never demands to know what ISD is doing. Whether or not you choose to answer her asking will reflect in how she reacts. She doesn't take to change well and it makes her very irritable, which I believe I outlined in her security records but if I didn't, feel free to DM me. On top of that, Sammo is not meant to be a perfect character. If she was, she wouldn't be interesting to play or interact with. But I do understand where you're coming from, and greatly appreciate the feedback! Thank you, Shodan.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This applies to both characters, Willow Harper and Samara Watson. They have a very high tendency to bombard Security with questions about situations going on and disregarding when Security reports that they are unsure themselves. They do this extremely belligerently over comms and typically cannot be shut down because Security are busy figuring out what is going on. It's extremely annoying to have to deal with.

In regards to your Borg characters you have on a number of occasions locked down rooms I have been in when you suspect that the crimes I'm charging someone for are unfounded, or to protect others from Security. Mind you, this is not as AI, or as antagonist. It's just as plain borg. The borgs are also extremely belligerent, just like Harper and Watson, going out of their way to stick their noses in Security business and using whatever authority they have, to try and force their way.

17 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

This applies to both characters, Willow Harper and Samara Watson. They have a very high tendency to bombard Security with questions about situations going on and disregarding when Security reports that they are unsure themselves. They do this extremely belligerently over comms and typically cannot be shut down because Security are busy figuring out what is going on. It's extremely annoying to have to deal with.

In regards to your Borg characters you have on a number of occasions locked down rooms I have been in when you suspect that the crimes I'm charging someone for are unfounded, or to protect others from Security. Mind you, this is not as AI, or as antagonist. It's just as plain borg. The borgs are also extremely belligerent, just like Harper and Watson, going out of their way to stick their noses in Security business and using whatever authority they have, to try and force their way.

So all of this is a recurring thing, I think. It seems like these characters get made- They’re pretty good at first- usually the same down to earth character, young, female, but eh no one says you have to make different characters. They’re friendly. And then, over time, they get more belligerent to people the player doesn’t like, including all of security most days. 

Eventually criticism starts up, we’re all told to post on the feedback thread, except it’s 95% the characters friends praising her for being so friendly and so, well, it feels like you’d be jumping into a shark tank to give feedback that probably won’t do anything.  Eventually admins get involved when the character does something especially unrealistic- fighting security as a non antag because they were arresting their friend or what have you.  

At which point another young female character is made and we are told that the previous character, Siskin, or Harper, was BUILT to get into conflict and be a little abrasive but this new one is chill. 

And they usually are, for the first month or so. 

Which is why I don’t think character feedback threads should be the only form of feedback the OP takes. I don’t think the characters are the issue so much as I think the player’s frustrations with security or other players leaks through into their characters and how they act. Which is why you end up getting characters that get into fights with an HoS to protect their friend and borgs that lock rooms when their friends are being arrested- I think player motivation takes over more than character motivation. 

And I think it’s easier to say “well that’s just the character she’d do anything for her friends post on the feedback thread” than it is to honestly accept feedback about play style. 

That being said, it is all a problem that has slowly been improving since the very beginning. Each character is lasting longer and longer before getting into trouble.  I haven’t had anything but the most minimal problems with Watson so far, but I don’t think I am the end all of knowing all of what Watson does and I’m pretty sure my characters are avoided by the player. 

20 hours ago, Resilynn said:

So all of this is a recurring thing, I think. It seems like these characters get made- They’re pretty good at first- usually the same down to earth character, young, female, but eh no one says you have to make different characters. They’re friendly. And then, over time, they get more belligerent to people the player doesn’t like, including all of security most days. 

Eventually criticism starts up, we’re all told to post on the feedback thread, except it’s 95% the characters friends praising her for being so friendly and so, well, it feels like you’d be jumping into a shark tank to give feedback that probably won’t do anything.  Eventually admins get involved when the character does something especially unrealistic- fighting security as a non antag because they were arresting their friend or what have you.  

At which point another young female character is made and we are told that the previous character, Siskin, or Harper, was BUILT to get into conflict and be a little abrasive but this new one is chill. 

And they usually are, for the first month or so. 

Which is why I don’t think character feedback threads should be the only form of feedback the OP takes. I don’t think the characters are the issue so much as I think the player’s frustrations with security or other players leaks through into their characters and how they act. Which is why you end up getting characters that get into fights with an HoS to protect their friend and borgs that lock rooms when their friends are being arrested- I think player motivation takes over more than character motivation. 

And I think it’s easier to say “well that’s just the character she’d do anything for her friends post on the feedback thread” than it is to honestly accept feedback about play style. 

That being said, it is all a problem that has slowly been improving since the very beginning. Each character is lasting longer and longer before getting into trouble.  I haven’t had anything but the most minimal problems with Watson so far, but I don’t think I am the end all of knowing all of what Watson does and I’m pretty sure my characters are avoided by the player. 

This is what I found out too. Most important is the point that Watson/Siskin/Harper are fundamentally the same character archetype with changes only relating to backstory as far as I can see. Externally, they all act the same, they all are almost visually the same.

Still remember that time a shitter broke into medical sublevel maintenance, came out of the secret entrance in the long-term patient care and tried to kill my character. Sammo was there, calling for sec and fighting them off. Samara cares for folk a lot, for what's right and fair, even if she doesn't know the person well, and will fight for what she believes in and cares for. It is her strength and her flaw.