VisVirific

A General Chemistry Guide

Posted (edited)

Summary
    First and foremost, credits to this guide can be attributed to various players (Contextual, SoulTheif96, ChloralCocktails, SadKermit), as this guide wouldn't have been possible without them.
    Welcome to A General Chemistry Guide, written since there's no Chem guide updated with our system of BrainMed (which can be daunting to adapt to and learn) and based off Exia's incredible guide (old), as well as a culmination of tips and tricks from the accredited folk. The purpose of this general guide is to provide something to help new folks into Chemistry in case there's no one who can orient them, or for those who don't want the orientation ICly because ain't nobody got time for that. Do keep in mind that this ISN'T an official Guide, and that your own experiences and fridge stock may vary. In fact, I encourage you to vary them as you please.

Table of Contents
Introduction
    This is a general introduction to the Fridge Stock, which is separated into 4 categories (Basics, Specialized, Stabilizers and Blood Supplements). This guide will also have a handful instruction for producing 1 bottle or more. These instructions will assume you'll only need to use the Large Beaker and the Dropper for production. This specific stock utilized in this guide is based off Neith Mekesatis' stock. Your mileage may vary.
    The instruction format considers 1 Liquid Bottle as 60u, with Specific Transfer rates and Sequence as to what is put into the Large Beaker, again keeping in mind the limited space of your Large Beaker.

Basics
    The Basics are often called like such since they're considered a general basic requirement for the fridge. With this category done (plus Alkysine, Thetamycin, Adrenaline, and Blood Supplements), you could technically chill out and be on stand-by until someone ask for/needs something specific. Try to keep these restocked when you can. (01/04/2020 Update: KeloDerm RIP)

Spoiler

4x Bicaridine (1 Liquid Bottle = 10 Acetone, 10 Sugar, 40 Carbon || 2 Liquid Bottles = 20 Acetone, 20 Sugar, 20 Carbon, 30 Carbon (x2))
4x Dermaline (1 Liquid Bottle = 10 Carbon, 10 Silicon, 20 Acetone, 20 Phosphorus || 2 Liquid Bottles = 20 Carbon, 20 Silicon, 40 Acetone, 40 Phosphorus)
4x Dexalin Plus (1 Liquid Bottle = 2 Phoron, 40 Acetone, 20 Iron, 20 Carbon || 2 Liquid Bottles = 4 Phoron, 40 Acetone (x2), 40 Iron, 40 Carbon)
3x Peridaxon (1 Liquid Bottle = 10 Phoron, 20 Acetone, 10 Water, 10 Acetone, 30 Sodium, 10 Sugar, 10 Carbon, 10 Acetone, 10 Carbon (x3))*

*This method requires a minimum of 9 Phoron, actually, as 1 is consumed to produce the Dexalin, and further 3 to produce the Clonexadone. Also, the 10 Carbon is to be added carefully and to wait for it to react, otherwise you'll end up with a mess. If you have a Bluespace Beaker, you can just go ham and add 30 Carbon at once.

Specialized
    As the name implies, the Specialized are usually only for specific cases and most often not required, but really useful to have prepared. The only ones really considered a requirement would be the Alkysine and Thetamycin. (05/04/2020 Update: Tweaked a recipe according to the Lexorin tweak.)

Spoiler

3x Alkysine (1 Liquid Bottle = 10 Ammonia, 10 Potassium, 10 Silicon, 30 Hydrochloric Acid, 30 Ammonia)
3x Adipemcina (1 Liquid Bottle = 20 Dylovene, 20 Lithium, 20 Potassium)
1x Imidazoline (1 Liquid Bottle = 10 Ammonia, 10 Potassium, 10 Silicon, 30 Hydrazine, 30 Carbon)
2x Pneumalin Inhalers (4x Catridges) (1 Liquid Bottle = 30 Pulmodeiectionem, 30 Copper, 30 Cough Syrup )  |  (Pulmodeiecitonem 1 Liquid Bottle = 5 Hydrochloric Acid, 5 Sodium, 10 Ammonia, 10 Mercury, 5 Phoron(Catalyst), 10 Tungsten, 10 Ammonia, 10 Hydrazine)  |  (Cough Syrup 1 Liquid Bottle = 20 Carbon, 20 Ammonia, 20 Water )
1x Ethylredoxrazine (1 Liquid Bottle = 20 Dylovene, 20 Acetone, 20 Carbon)
1x HyroArith 1:1 (5u) Pill Bottle (16x pills = 40 Dylovene, 40 Radium, 20 Hydrazine)*
1x Ryetalyn (1u) Pill Bottle (10x pills = 5 Arithrazine, 5 Carbon)
3x Thetamycin (1 Liquid Bottle = 10 Ammonia, 10 Potassium, 10 Silicon, 10 Acetone, 10 Potassium, 10 Sugar)
1x Deltamivir (1 Liquid Bottle = 5 Acetone, 5 Sugar, 5 Carbon, 5 Ammonia, 5 Silicon, 5 Potassium, 10 Acetone, 10 Potassium, 10 Sugar)

*You don't necessarily need to make a HyroArith pill bottle, only a general Anti-Radiation medication. Variations to this include: Liquid Bottles of Hyronalin, Pill bottle (16x 5u) of Hyronalin, etc etc. This one is formatted as such since it's more convenient for production considering that the Ethyl will result in some Dylovene remainder.

Scrubber Cases
6x Pulmodeiectionem Autoinhalers
(1 Liquid Bottle = 5 Hydrochloric Acid, 5 Sodium, 10 Ammonia, 10 Mercury, 5 Phoron(Catalyst), 10 Tungsten, 10 Ammonia, 10 Hydrazine)

Stabilizers
    This category is separated into 2 subcategories and it's also the most versatile one to what you may want to make/provide as well as inventing stabilizing mixes. Again, keep in mind the list in this category is based off what Neith Mekesatis produces.
    Painkillers
    You can also make a Tramadol-Paracetamol 1:1 mix, or even straight up Oxycodone pills (5u) at a limited quantity of pills available if you feel like it.

Spoiler

3x Tramadol (1 Liquid Bottle = 20 Norepinephrine, 20 Acetone, 20 Ethanol || 2 Liquid Bottles = 40 Norepinephrine, 40 Acetone, 40 Ethanol)

Stabilizers Proper
    Other stabilizers include Atropine cut with something else for the toxins it causes. Again, feel free to come up and test what you feel comfortable with. (01/04/2020 Update: RIP Inaprovaline)

Spoiler

7x Adrenaline Autoinjectors
3x Adrenaline (1 Liquid Bottle = 1 Phoron, 30 Acetone, 20 Carbon, 20 Sugar, 10 Iron, 10 Sulfur, 10 Phosporus) (Remainder of 30u Adrenaline)

Blood Supplements
    While simple, these can be upgraded if you have the reagents for them. Fill these to the brim of 16 pills per pill bottle.

Spoiler

2x Iron (10u)
1x Copper (10u)
1x Sulfur (10u)

Blood Supplements Upgrades.
    These are incredibly handy to have, but also a bit of a pain to make unless you get lucky with Cargo sending Nutriment cartridges to Medical, or the Merchant has them to sell.
Iron+ (30u) = 10 Animal Protein/Nutriment, 10  Iron, 10 Water
Copper+ (30u) = 10 Nutriment/Tofu/Seafood Protein, 10 Copper, 10 Water
Sulfur+ (20u) = 10 K'ois Paste, 10 Sulfur

Resupplying
    As you may have noticed, even the Basics require an awful lot of Acetone and Carbon, so resupplying is generally a good idea. Some tricks for doing so is as follows:

Spoiler

1) Order from Cargo Order.
    My general go-to for Neith, ordering 2 Acetone, 2 Carbon, 1 Iron cartridges from Cargo.

2) Ask Mining for Sandstone Bricks + Steel Sheets.
    Sandstone Bricks can be processed in the grinder for Acetone and Silicone, while Steel Sheets can provide Carbon and Iron.

3) Acetone Production
    It's possible to actually refine Synthflesh into Acetone (with Glycerol and Animal Protein byproducts), but this method can take a long time. Generally not recommended, but it's a way.
    10x Synthmeat (ground in the All-In-One grinder) = 60 Animal Protein, 20 Triglyceride.
    20 Triglyceride, 5 Sulphuric Acid (Catalyst), 40 Ethanol = 60 Acetone (A lot of Glycerol as Remainder)

Conclusion
    At the end of the day, Chemistry is a list composed of memory, muscle memory and being familiar with the general reactions. Hopefully this guide can help out even if a little bit.

TL;DR
Absolute Bare Basics (Also known as "Just give me the list")

Spoiler

4x Bicaridine
4x Dermaline
4x Dexalin Plus
3x Peridaxon
3x Alkysine
3x Adipemcina
2x Pneumalin Inhalers
1x Hyronalin (or Arithrazine)
2x Thetamycin
3x Tramadol
7x Adrenaline Autoinjectors
2x Iron Pills (10u) ((16 pills))
1x Copper Pills (10u) ((16 pills))
1x Sulfur Pills (10u) ((16 pills))

Edited by VisVirific
Lexorin Tweak Update Thingo (THANK HECKING GOD MY PHORON) (Edit 2: Fixing some stuff)

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, VisVirific said:

This specific stock utilized in this guide is based off Neith Mekesatis' stock.

Vrow you are an incredible chemist who spoils medical with more meds than they will ever, ever need. Calling this bare minimum is intimidating for new players and I'd like to tell them that not living up to this is totally fine. Medical has a reputation for being extremely irritated if they're not fully and overstocked and this is an excessive standard for people to live up to. The process is cool and good, but the amounts are... so much. I used to be a chemist main and whenever I try to come back to it now, I get berated IC for not living up to these standards and LOOC get asked if I'm new. It's very discouraging, though more to do with medical's general attitude than this guide.

This is not a bad guide. At all. This is a great guide and a sorely needed update from our old ones. But what you call the bare minimum is a bit much for newer players.

Your mileage may vary but here is what I would like to add:

• Peridaxon ODs at 10u. The fridge does not have to be stocked with three full bottles no matter what the nurses tell you. A tip would be to make half-bottles if you wanted to allow everyone to carry some on them, and make more as the round demands.
  • KeloDerm should not be functioning as it used to pre-brainmed, as things were shifted around in code to make it so you can't metabolize both of them simultaneously. If it is doing that still, it is a bug.
  • Three bottles of Alkysine is a safety net for a safety net. I've rarely seen more than one bottle used. Though it's pretty easy to make so I guess why not.
  • Inaprovaline is cool to have but don't worry if you don't make it.
  • Don't feel pressured to make enough specialty meds/peridaxon for every doctor/nurse/surgeon on shift. They have legs and can walk to the fridge for non-basics.
  • The most important point OP made should not be overlooked: Find your process, your rhythm, and what works for you, and you'll have a great time playing it.
  • If you are a medical player reading this, stop being rude to chemists who can't or won't follow this standard. Everyone is different.

As a newer chemist gets more confident or wants to overachieve, this is a great endgoal to shoot for and the OP is basically the chemist wizard at the time of this guide. But do not feel pressured to start out at this level.

Edited by Doxxmedearly

1 minute ago, Doxxmedearly said:

Vrow you are an incredible chemist who spoils medical with more meds than they will ever, ever need. Calling this bare minimum is intimidating for new players and I'd like to tell them that not living up to this is totally fine. Medical has a reputation for being extremely irritated if they're not fully and overstocked and this is an excessive standard for people to live up to. The process is cool and good, but the amounts are... so much. I used to be a chemist main and whenever I try to come back to it now, I get berated IC for not living up to these standards and LOOC get asked if I'm new. It's very discouraging, though more to do with medical's general attitude than this guide.

This is not a bad guide. At all. This is a great guide and a sorely needed update from our old ones. But what you call the bare minimum is a bit much for newer players.

Your mileage may vary but here is what I would like to add:

• Peridaxon ODs at 10u. The fridge does not have to be stocked with three full bottles no matter what the nurses tell you. A tip would be to make half-bottles if you wanted to allow everyone to carry some on them, and make more as the round demands.
  • KeloDerm should not be functioning as it used to pre-brainmed, as things were shifted around in code to make it so you can't metabolize both of them simultaneously. If it is doing that still, it is a bug.
  • Three bottles of Alkysine is a safety net for a safety net. I've rarely seen more than one bottle used. Though it's pretty easy to make so I guess why not.
  • Inaprovaline is cool to have but don't worry if you don't make it.
  • Don't feel pressured to make enough specialty meds/peridaxon for every doctor/nurse/surgeon on shift. They have legs and can walk to the fridge for non-basics.

As a newer chemist gets more confident or wants to overachieve, this is a great endgoal to shoot for and the OP is basically the chemist wizard at the time of this guide. But do not feel pressured to start out at this level.

The only issue I've found is that Doctors often take medicines out of storage ahead of time, and sometimes they get killed, cryo, or vanish somewhere with the meds, so having a few extra bottles can be necessary. Again a problem with medical play more than a requirement for a chemist.

Agreed. Always be prepared to have to make more than the initial stock for that reason. And that's why it's also fine to take your time and space things out. It's not a race.

Posted (edited)

Worth noting that if you like math, you'll notice sometimes there are 1:1:1=3 recipes and 1:1:1=2 recipes. You'll notice with the former that you can only make 15/30/45/etc portions... sometimes. If you don't mind 1-2 units of initial catalyst waste, you can make around 21 (7+7+7) units of what is necessary in order to minimize making excess amounts of a final product. This is useful when the 21 units you need are an intermediary catalyst for something else and you'd rather not make waste.

In the terms of the latter, anything that is a 3=2 conversion should be managed in terms of your own expectations. What should be 30+30+30 = 90 ends up being 60 units in total.

Edited by Scheveningen