Add a surgical procedure for healing brute damage on body parts

Sheeplets

I've lost count of the number of times in Medical where we've been forced to neglect someone with a broken bone because the brute damage on the area was over the threshold where it automatically re-breaks upon being repaired. Even with regenerative medicines available and working. I've seen cases where we've had to wait upwards of twenty minutes for someone to heal off enough damage for us to be able to fix them and send them on their way. It's a pain in the ass and I can't imagine that it's fun for anyone involved, especially not the person glued to an operating table or a stretcher for half an hour because of it.

Just let us fix the damage with surgery. Or, alternatively, make it so those bones don't instantly re-break.

• Like 1

Stuff like this is the bane of the pharmacy-less medical. One time I had someone wait for over half an hour to fix their ribs purely because they had a lot of brute trauma. Nothing else was wrong with them. It was probably the most boring thing imaginable for them. Getting something to reduce or remove this wait would be great. Maybe bones don't rebreak upon fixing when past the damage threshold but any MORE damage when in said threshold will instabreak it.

I'd agree with this but I'd suggest it induce heavy scarring on the body part (in the same mechanical vein of organ scarring) that you choose to perform the procedure on, for a particular reason: It should be considered a 'last resort', and not used to expedite the return of injured Security or similar personnel back into a fight. Scarring would leave the patient decidedly vulnerable to being crippled or outright killed if they choose to use this second chance to unwisely put themselves in harm's way once more.

I wouldn't mind a change like this myself, honestly.

On 28/05/2023 at 22:50, Agatasa said:

The simplest way to balance this procedure is to only allow it to heal brute damage above a certain threshold, say 50, 75. Once it gets below that, no progress can be made with the procedure.

That would defeat the point, though would probably make more sense than how I planned on balancing it if implementing the change, the normal threshold at which a bone has the chance to just break again is brute damage on said limb of 30 or more (though, this also involves rng of course), I'd say give the ability to fix all the brute damage on an external body part, but lower this number for every step taken in the related surgical procedure, so the limb has the chance to break faster for the rest of the round.

Edited by Loorey
  • Gem locked this topic