Clowns / Mimes

Draculabot

You know, even if I love the clown and the mime, I think it would make no sense to have them at a state of the art research space station. I don't see any problem with an entertainer job, but if we don't allow mimes or clowns to be regular jobs, it makes them more special when some traitor do a gimmick about them.

I agree, sort of. I mean you can get those kinds of positions from the head of personnel or captain. A lot of people aren't guaranteed to do it because they're not official positions on the roster or a variation name of them but I think they'd be interesting.

And also they need to have hilarious names, not just "Entertainer".

Before anyone decides to say these wouldnt logically be here. We have a bar, where most of our staff get shitfaced at, and they dont have to pay for the drink.

I want a 'Morale Booster Agent/Officer' or 'Staff Motivation Officer' to be a thing,

Entertainers with access to clown and mime suits. The clown is a staple of SS13, like NT and the syndicate.

Also, keep in mind our botany vending machines are stocked with illegal drugs. Our bar is there for peopel to get shitfaced in. We have laser tag, a pool, an arcade, a holodeck, and run on a fucking SINGULARITY for power. An entertainer would not be far fetched.

I honestly just see this being added. Used by a handful of players for a little-bit, and then never being touched by anyone but Randoms who use it to chucklefuck.

I'm sort of seeing it like the chaplain. It's a role that has a purpose, RP-wise, but involves no mechanics, and is so boring, unrewarding and generally thankless that few people are interested in doing it.

Which would mean there'd be a very low demand for it, because the main appeal of the clown and mime roles (on LRP) and even the chaplain (on here) is chucklefucking. (I don't mind the chaplain being a chucklefuck though, most of the time he's the station buffoon and it's great.)

I would use this in a cool manner, rather than directly entertaining people, I'd make paperwork for the job, like an 'Event Request' / 'Bar Reservation' . Have an area like the Bar, or Departures reserved, and then have it aesthetically renovated, and then throw a Morale party, with non-alcoholic drinks and pizza, or maybe have a coffee house in the library for poetry readings or anyone that can sing. The possibilities are endless.

Alt titles would be like 'Activities Director' 'Morale Officer' 'Entertainment Agent' , tbh we could complicate the chain of command further and make them the medium superior of the service staff (Chef, Bartender, Botanist) just as the QM is to Cargo/Mining, and have them answer directly to the Head of Personnel.

We are looking at this from just a clown mime chucklefuck position, but it could be so much more and could create great RP situations such as staff parties, dances, mixers, station-wide laser tag, morale-boost speeches, and even visits to injured people in medical!

Weren't Clowns and Mimes created for the sole purpose of chucklefucking? And isn't that the reason people play them for?

Now we can argue that the Chaplain and Bartender are redundant. But atleast we don't end up with 'Honkfucker McBastard' the Honkdoctor who injects people with chloral hydrate or a psychopathic mime who inevitable becomes a mute serial killer.

It just wouldn't suit a Heavy Roleplay environment.

Just because people chucklefuck with it doesn't mean EVERYONE does. I was talking to someone and they told me about a clown they let into a captain's office so he could paint it or something. Told me it was a clown he actually saw roleplay.

I agree that clowns don't fit in this heavy roleplay environment because we're on a research station but I don't think "because people chucklefuck" should be a reason it isn't included. I think more universal reasons should apply.

I said the role was created for chucklefucking, it kind of goes with the original crude humor of SS13. I'm not saying because people will use it to chucklefuck, I'm saying's it pretty much the reason you have them around, they serve little else than to fulfill the classic SS13 moments such as a clown, taking down security with a bar of soap and a sunflower.

Not to say clowns do not roleplay, I've seen them do it, but it's usually silly and nonsensical.

I think the idea itself has been suggested in the wrong manner. We dont need it to be exclusively clown/mime, tbh I wouldn't even want costumes to be their uniform (they could have a costume crate onhand for events though) I'm tempted to make another seperate suggestion to avoid the Clown/Mime stereotype hating.

I'm on the fence. I remember having great time with this assistant (I forget names) who would order the costume crate, then dress up as a mime. He'd go about miming everything, never talking.

It'd be really nice to have an entertainer or comedian - but take out the sillyness of a big goofy moron that disrupts everyone's work and cause a headache. Someone to boost crew morale, tell funny jokes, play music in the bar, that kinda stuff.