Ask a mod/admin!

Frances

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I would rather ask a more lighthearted question here, but I have been wondering: how rare, detrimental, and permanent are warnings to a player? It seems quite a lot of them are given out and I have never heard of them being removed.

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only staff to have ever removed a warning, due to an very nice appeal that clarified that the situation had been a misunderstanding and that I had been stupid.

As for rarity, they're no that rare, since we prefer to give people these instead of ban on first offense, although there are cases where that isn't the norm.

As for detrimental and permanent, as a rule of thumb, warnings over three months old aren't considered relevant anymore, although there are cases where they can still play a role.

Ignoring a previous warning and doing the same exact thing that got you into trouble last time can be grounds for a ban, and multiple repeated offenses are solid ground for a permaban.

Does that answer the question well?

3297259691.png

This is what it looks like when your warnings expire, as well. They still stick around, but I guess after 3 months even the admins have forgotten about it, eh?

When they pull up your warnings they still see the expired warnings anyway.

@UnknownMurderer

1. Perma bans are managed the same as timed bans. Usually the banning mod/admin manages them, and the Head Admin simply keeps himself up to speed and interjects as necessary. In the absence of the banning mod/admin, the Head Admin takes over.

2. As per the clarifications received:

- Head Admin and Head Developer (ideally) share responsibility over managing the server, community, rules, etcetera. They're the two leaders. They also deal with staff complaints and unban appeals when no one else is around. They are also ultimately in charge of the Lore and DO teams as well.

- Administrators and Mods enforce the rules. Each mod and admin is responsible for appeals of their own bans, unless the Head Admin feels it necessary to interject. Specific administrators and mods are assigned to handle player complaints, head of staff whitelists, and potential other auxiliary tasks.

- Lore team is responsible for the lore, led by the Lore Master who answers to the Head Admin/Head Dev. Specific individuals from the lore team are selected to represent certain species, and to manage their whitelists.

- The DO Corps deals with IC IRs and ingame faxes, led by the DO Corps Leader who answers to the Head Admin/Head Dev.

@Coolbc

The old staff mentality, which I still carry, is that reliance on admin driven events is not sustainable. Thus having a rank specifically for them would contribute to staff bloat. Staff bloat is bad, because no one can be fucked to set up and enforce the very strict hierarchies and rules that would enable a large staff team to function. Plus, no one can be fucked with the srsness that would bring. Small staff = cool staff = good staff.

It depends on how the ban is applied. If you try to dodge and we have to start IP banning you, then yeah, you won't be able to access the forums.

I dunno if a user-targeted ban also applies an IP ban or not on the forums, haven't really invested time into the system.

Can halo be un-IP-banned? He says he can't laugh at stupid threads anymore without asking me to take screenshots for him and it makes him sad.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...