[ACCEPTED] Aboshehab/Sharp Moderator Trial Application

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account:aboshehab

Character Name(s):

Primary Characters: Raymond Hawkins(HoS) , Needle (CMO), Ghoasim-Edirne Qe'liis (Captain), Weirup Vi'liis (Officer) , Hanaan Al-Meer (HoP), Ahmad Al-Meer (Lab Ass.), Aisha Al-Meer (Detective), Handy Man (Station Eng.).

Secondary Characters: Frankie Fleming(Stat App.), Ian Hunter (Xeno), Charlton Lester (Robotocist), Pioneer (Scientist), C.E.U. (Officer), Groovy (Civie jobs) , Bob Thorton (IAA), Khalid Walid (Mining), SNARK (Borg), and more that I can't recall right now.

AI Name(s): G.R.U.M.P.Y.

Preferred means of contact: Discord, Forums and Steam

Timezone: GMT +4 UAE, Dubai

When are you on Aurora?: I am generally present on Wednsday until Saturday due to returning home from my dorms. On those days I'd say I'm present on the server or available from the afternoon say from 12 PM until I head to bed which can be as early as 10 PM or later.

From Sunday to Tuesday however I am available on the forums and discord is always running for me, but unless the university does decide to unblock the ports Byond use, I am unable to log on the server.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: On and off over a course of three years perhaps? Never settled down until I joined Aurora

How long have you played on Aurora: Well, apparently 541 days, but I'd say I've settled in Aurora a bit over a year ago.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I'd say Mechanically, I'm proficient in medical, and most science fields, my weakest point would be any advanced form of engineering but even then I'm aware of most mechanics present and could find an answer through the wiki. In terms of general mechanics, I think I'm aware of most things, there may be some things there and there that I've never done but I doubt they're many.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: No.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: I've received an antagonist ban for the duration of three days due to my actions being unsavory to the players of that shift as an AI, which I fully admit to, the person issuing this was Garn.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: I guess it's that I find enjoyment from it, I've always been a sucker for RPG and would actively attempt to RP in games such as the Paradox series as opposed to gaming the system, SS13 is no different, in fact, I prefer it over many due to the novel and organic nature of interactions and gameplay.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I've never truly settled, in fact I was a bit of chucklefuck maybe even a griefer a couple of years back within the bounds of those low RP servers, never really settled with it. Then I decided to join Aurora over a year back, read the rules and and played a few rounds, with my first character being Charlton Lester, I liked the server so much I even made records for him. Point being, I thoroughly enjoy the gameplay of this server, I like the community, I'm aware that I've had some less than savory moments in this game which I've strived to improve and rectify, since I like this server and the enjoyment I'm getting keeps sending me back.

What do moderators do?: A moderator as can be inferred from the name moderate the general dealings of the server, from player attitude both from an OOC standpoint and an IC standpoint. They are also present to provide assistance to the player base in the form of adminhelps or through OOC chatter. Furthermore, they aren't supposed to give out punishment at every possible instance when a word or two can rectify this.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: I guess it would mean that you've been entrusted with a certain level of responsibility that is on a volunteer basis. You're trusted to assist in smoothing out the rounds, dealing with complaints and queries from members of the community, along with working with a team of other staff members, which means cohesion is extremely important.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: Well, I talked a lot about "pitching" in to the community and the server, and I feel like this might be the more suitable way for me to do this. I've thought of applying for the other open positions but didn't feel like I'd be the right person for those tasks, in fact I spent quite some time deliberating whether or not to write this application.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

Well, this is a tough one to answer, as I feel like this is more something the reviewers will judge me on rather than myself announcing, but here it goes. I feel like I'm a patient person, honest to myself and others, along with the fact I like taking things step by step, like a check list to avoid being overwhelmed. I also understand the biggest issue with retention of people is generally that some burn themselves out, so I'm able to moderate myself without reaching that point, I'd like to cite myself as a regular player for the past year.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:

I've answered this slightly in the previous question. I feel like I'm patient enough to deal with such situations, and I don't believe it's easy to get under my skin, considering this is a community over the Internet and such statements should be taken with a pinch of salt, joke intended. But if I were to be angry, stress, annoyed or the plethora of other conditions similar to those, I generally won't really be playing the game, but instead venting my frustrations over other activities I have for this specific purpose, but even assuming I were, I'd back out of this situation, explain myself and try to have someone step in for me if it's a moderator issue.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I feel like over my time on this server that I as a player have improved the standard of my characters. My first character, Charlton Lester was a PTSD ridden alien hating sol marine vet medic that is currently scarred, prosthetic ridden Robotocist that if measured by a cringe scale, we'd be required to find a replacement of said scale. But from there, I felt like I've improved to having the likes of Raymond Hawkins, arguably my favorite character out of the bunch.

I also have had experience as staff of other communities over the years. I've in particular also dealt with recruiting, some aspects of training and software support for new members of Arma unit, which as some of you may know is quite the handful. Another point is that I sense that I'm level headed enough to not get annoyed, nor angry by the IC actions of players from an OOC standpoint, as I understand that's just how the characters are as opposed to the people.

This application barring a few changes, is essentially the same thing I've posted on my previous one, which I had to abandon due to sudden obligations that not even a game that is dedicated to 2D Spessman would have been able to stop them.

Just leaving this here, since my opinion hasn't really changed:

Sharp has had plenty of chances to prove their level-headedness and skillful conflict mediation as Raymond Hawkins, and they've always done a fine job with both on a character level. You can't pull that off without knowing a little about what you're doing as a player, and they are someone I'd happily trust to be fair, thorough and impartial when it comes to maintaining the rule of law here.

So, yes. I'd very much enjoy to see them go through the trial.

Glad to see this applicant return. They're present and smart, have an appropriately thick skin, and laugh at the right things. So there!

I have no changes to what I've said about Sharp on previous application.

He contains most skills a moderator needs:

• Listens to people's point of view before making a decision.
  • Not biased person (See to his frequent position as IA Bob Thorton).
  • Easy to talk when in need of assistance.
  • Discernment
  • Leadership and teamwork qualities that aren't inhibited by personal aspirations.

+1

• 4 weeks later...