[1 Dismissal] Tackling when running

driecg36

The basic gist: When you bump into someone while running, a few different things can happen depending on your intent. Depending on your weight, different things would happen.

Weight would be species/gender related, going something like this:

Industrial IPC -> Unathi male -> Baseline IPC -> Vaurca warrior -> etc...

This would just be a set variable per species, and obesity would send it up a decent amount.

HELP INTENT: You bump into them, which gives them a message "Urist McSpessmen has bumped into you!" and lets you pass through them. Purely for RP. Has a slight chance of stopping you and stunning you shortly (or knocking the other person down if you weigh more than them) if you run directly into the person.

DISARM INTENT: You throw your full body weight into it, bringing you to a dead halt and knocking down the person for a decent amount of time. The person takes a little brute from the fall, and is stunned for a decent amount of time. Has a chance to miss where you just fall and hit yourself. If the other person weighs more, you bounce off and get stunned.

GRAB INTENT: You throw your arms around someone, stunning them for a very brief amount of time but giving you an aggressive grab on them. If they weigh more than you, you get stunned shortly and have only a passive grab.

HARM INTENT: You barrel past someone, knocking them onto the ground, hard. If they weigh more than you, you hit the ground just as hard.

I don't know how feasible this is coding wise, but I think it would make chase scenes a lot more exciting and have a lot more flavor to them once you catch the person.

I like the thought behind this, but I can see that the application may not be as great. This would provide a huge boost in power to different races, and would mean that a bulky head of security couldn't tackle down a passing janitor Unathi. And I have a feeling that it would even further mess up our combat meta, because an Unathi wouldn't need weapons when they can just charge-bash any criminal scum they see.

I love the idea of more combat mechanics, because I feel that they're painfully sparse and could greatly benefit from more choices and options, but I'm not sure this would be the best way to go about it.

I like the thought behind this, but I can see that the application may not be as great. This would provide a huge boost in power to different races, and would mean that a bulky head of security couldn't tackle down a passing janitor Unathi. And I have a feeling that it would even further mess up our combat meta, because an Unathi wouldn't need weapons when they can just charge-bash any criminal scum they see.

I love the idea of more combat mechanics, because I feel that they're painfully sparse and could greatly benefit from more choices and options, but I'm not sure this would be the best way to go about it.

I can definitely see some of the problems with this, but I do think race diversity is good, as it just spices up the RP and gameplay. You have to remember, unathi males are dinosaurs that go up to 7 ft tall. No human short of Hafthor Bjornsson could tackle that. Personally, I think unathi should be the strongest unarmed combat race, but have problems with ranged weapons; that's a topic for another day. On top of that, the head of security has a bunch of other tools available at his disposal. This would just create more diversity in unarmed combat, not replace armed combat.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have multiple variables affect weight. Perhaps close combat expertise would make you more muscled, and therefore heavier? Or maybe just add a new mechanic of "physical fitness" which functions similarly to skills, and affect this stat along with other things like stamina. Again, a topic for another day, but I do definitely think this idea could work with some tweaks (I am biased, however).

Remember that tackling is a lot about leverage and preparedness of both participants. I like the idea of Unathi being tough to tackle, but there are instances where a decently in shape human could tackle one. Of course accounting for this would be balls on hard. I mean adding any of this would be pretty intense I think. Still I would love for tackling to be implemented into the game, but I like tackling people and things in real life soooooo.

Remember that tackling is a lot about leverage and preparedness of both participants. I like the idea of Unathi being tough to tackle, but there are instances where a decently in shape human could tackle one. Of course accounting for this would be balls on hard. I mean adding any of this would be pretty intense I think. Still I would love for tackling to be implemented into the game, but I like tackling people and things in real life soooooo.

I feel like this can be entirely addressed by intent. Someone on harm intent is harder to tackle than someone on help intent, because they're prepared for a fight.

Pretty much every mechanic has a counter mechanic.

How would you counter a merc being tackled by a passer-by unathi janitor ?

The idea is hopefully not to shoot every person coming closer than 2m to prevent being tackled.

Because if there is no reliable way to counter tackling, it will lead to that.

Also imho tackling just by setting the intent something else than help and running feels a bit too easy.

All it would take with that implementation is you standing in the hallway on harm intent and with walk mode on.

If implemented it needs take into account the duration sprinted, so you have to sprint for a bit before being able to tackle someone.

(Unless there is some other option to make it not that easy)

While interesting, I feel that if implemented as above it will lead to more combat meta and more valid hunters.

It should come hand in hand with a long range nerf for certain species, because otherwise it might change combat balance quite a bit due to it giving specific races a major advantage.

I think people are overestimating how powerful the tackle is.

Even on disarm intent, the stun would be too short to cuff someone, but only barely. If you get tackled as a merc, you just get up and shoot the person that did so. On top of that, voidsuits/heavy armor should make you heavier, and magboots should make you invulnerable to tackles from even the heaviest mofo.

I do agree that to be able to tackle, you would have to be running for a little, maybe 3 tiles min.

I get the fact that there are balance concerns, but the way I described it is by no means the way it should be implemented exactly, if it's to be implemented at all. I'm not an expert at game design, this needs a lot of tweaking and fine tuning before it can even be considered as a valid project.

• 7 months later...

Voting for dismissal. Sprinting already has a distinct mechanical advantage in that it allows you to close or increases distances at a much faster rate, allowing you to enter into the more powerful melee range or to escape from a ranged opponent with less damage. Adding this would only make sprinting exponentially more powerful (for a powerful mechanic as it is).

• 5 years later...
  • Gem locked this topic