Most Meta/Powergame Things

Hackie

What is this about?

Basically, SS13 has a bunch of power game or meta things, that have no place in a 'hardcore' RP environment (or things that just really grind your buns).

Examples

- Throw baton

- Secret little maintenance holes (contains things like balloons and rainbow clothes)

- Derelict and other things hidden in space (cool but makes little to no sense why anyone would fling themselves into space)

- Humans can *aflap

Everybody having intricate knowledge on how to interact with a cyborg or artificial intelligence. See an issue? Well, mister Chaplain, merely tell the synthetic to state its laws, just like a good counselor would. Also, don't forget that the only reason that NanoTrasen installed this amazingly powerful supercomputer is to act as your personal doorman, and don't forget that you have ultimate power over it, so just tell it anything you want!

I do not think it's a good idea to post a thread like this on a public network. Lesser-known game mechanics are to be learned by experience, not taught. And there are many reasons for that.

The reason being to promote elitism?

Its only coincidental anyways that most of this meta/power game items of interest are lesser known game mechanics. My complaint, for example, was no such thing. However, needless separation of what can and can't be talked about is, to be redundant, needless. "Lesser known game mechanics" strike me as trivial things to horde.

To discourage powergaming and metagaming. It has nothing to do with being elitist.

There's a certain responsibility with knowing things. Knowledge is power. "With great power comes great responsibility."

The thing is. When people learn something hilariously powerful, you would expect people to be responsible with it. Not using too much or too little of it. But just enough, so that it's not particularly damaging to anyone.

While I suppose your quest could be considered noble ("Knowledge is power, guard it well", as the misguided Diomedes said) I am still of the opinion that it is at the very least futile, if not unnecessary as a whole. Futile because if people want to find something truly devastating, they can easily do it with just a bit of research. Futile because ss13 as a system presents many other and intuitive means of these things that encourage "powergaming", as you declare them. (Which is a fair accusation, since they're being listed on a thread called "Most meta/powergame things".)

However, the basic assumption that no one but the people that already know it are responsible enough to know it is by its very self elitist.

Finally, your declaration that this thread specifically should not exist because it might leak "powerful" information I don't really get. Really, the only possible thing that could even be considered "powerful" is the throw baton. . . Which I'm pretty sure is somewhat common knowledge, anyways. The statistics of what powerful information has been "leaked" and what has not are in favour of not. However, you could then retort that even one powerful datum being released is one too many, which I will be honest I don't really know what to say to that. I really just don't see where you're coming from, as you're saying you're not elitist, yet are assuming that nobody is responsible enough to know the things being posted. Sorry.

In an attempt to veil this post with a modicum of on-topicness, I will pretty much just say Telescience. All of it.

Okay, if I can be extremely vague, I'll state some things that are powergamey as fuck.

There are some ways to double the output and charge rate of the Solars.

There are some fun ways to toy with toxins. Superheat plasma and cool oxygen to absolute zero. And other things with the other available canisters, for other takedowns.

There's ways to cut power immediately, and without cutting power to the emitters that keep the sing field up.

This seems less power-gamey and moreso something Engineers should be doing on a regular basis.

Oh, and, if I have to throw in a bit of a power and/or metagaming rant for the thread, well, I'll put it in list form.

First would be the Doctors who instinctively turn to Chloral Hydrate and other such chemicals in every sort of emergency. Learn to fight proper, won't you?

Secondly, let's not forget the people who go for the Security Cyborg/Android roles on Nuclear Emergency. There's a special place in Hell for those people. I say this both as a Nuclear Operative player, and a Security player. You truly ruin all the fun to be had whenever you're involved.

Third, on the other side of the coin, the AIs during Malfunction who simply adore quietly having their Androids/Cyborgs take people out into remote areas and kill them one by one, disposing of the evidence. Another fair example of cowardice.

Lastly, Any Prisoner who thinks they can attempt to slip me with soap without promptly getting flashed. It's real cute, but you need to try and be original, I'm not a fool.

First would be the Doctors who instinctively turn to Chloral Hydrate and other such chemicals in every sort of emergency. Learn to fight proper, won't you?

This is the opposite of metagaming. This is sticking to your character's knowledge base.

Secondly, let's not forget the people who go for the Security Cyborg/Android roles on Nuclear Emergency. There's a special place in Hell for those people. I say this both as a Nuclear Operative player, and a Security player. You truly ruin all the fun to be had whenever you're involved.

And Nuke Ops who go from 0 to exploding armory and cargo. It goes both ways. This is why Nuke isn't fun.

And as for what some people said about this thread containing forbidden knowledge? Keeping game mechanics a mystery isn't any more conducive to good RP. There's some knowledge people should have.

Everybody having intricate knowledge on how to interact with a cyborg or artificial intelligence. See an issue? Well, mister Chaplain, merely tell the synthetic to state its laws, just like a good counselor would. Also, don't forget that the only reason that NanoTrasen installed this amazingly powerful supercomputer is to act as your personal doorman, and don't forget that you have ultimate power over it, so just tell it anything you want!

Like that. I'm sure Nanotrasen gives crew basic training on how to deal with an AI since it's something every single crew member will come into contact with at some point.

This seems less power-gamey and moreso something Engineers should be doing on a regular basis.

Oh, and, if I have to throw in a bit of a power and/or metagaming rant for the thread, well, I'll put it in list form.

The way in which it's done, would completely overlap what counts as basic IC knowledge. It's specifically abusing the physics of the game engine itself to provide near-instantaneous power in the event of the singularity not being able to produce sufficient energy to the station.

The way in which it's done, would completely overlap what counts as basic IC knowledge. It's specifically abusing the physics of the game engine itself to provide near-instantaneous power in the event of the singularity not being able to produce sufficient energy to the station.

It has been too long since I played engineering. Tell me how this is done.

You think too small.

You can generate infinite power by abusing some of the lesser known mechanics.

In fact, infinite power is very easy.

Finding a way to transport infinite power is harder.

You shouldn't double the power in the powerlines, you should balance them. Over charging the power in the lines just means that if someone (like yourself) gets shocked, you have a much higher chance of infection/fire damage/death, not to mention if someone else was to get shocked your character should be held for creaing a dangerous workplace enviroment.

You shouldn't double the power in the powerlines, you should balance them. Over charging the power in the lines just means that if someone (like yourself) gets shocked, you have a much higher chance of infection/fire damage/death, not to mention if someone else was to get shocked your character should be held for creaing a dangerous workplace enviroment.

When I said "double" I said you could effectively do so if you wished.

Any engineer would take into account of the difference between a laughable 6 burn stun and an instant 200 burn electrocution.

Like that. I'm sure Nanotrasen gives crew basic training on how to deal with an AI since it's something every single crew member will come into contact with at some point.

But really should each and every crew member come into contact with the AI, according to NanoTrasen's intended use for the AI? I mean, for most AIs the only contact the crew has with the AI is "AI, open dis door naow!" Unless they're in a command position, or if a danger comes to the station, and since NanoTrasen does not train their crew canonically with how to deal with a wizard invasion, I don't think they'd train their crew how to train their AI to deal with a wizard invasion. That's like an MMO company teaching each of its employees how to interact with the massive server mainframes. (A poor example, but I'm having trouble conjuring up a real world metaphor for an AI).

Except most engineers don't, or at least when I play/ghost over/check the powernet, they have it set to much higher then needed.

Electricity is random.

the issue I usually see, at least early on, is that APC charge requires power to be much higher than normal running. Station can be operational (without toxins and upgraded atmos pumps) at like 160, however full charge needs like 270 at station startup. Most of the time, engineers forget to set it back down afterwords. I try to, but some engineers I've talked to have the 'if they touched a wire they were breaking the law anyway' mentality.

then theres always the issue where, even if we have power set for 10k over max load it still will cause apc drain with good external power because there isn't enough to charge up the like, .001% drain. I usually leave smes at 240 total