The Great Perspective Switch to 3/4

MattAtlas

Because I had nothing better to do and someone dared me to.

Currently our perspective is a mismatch of different ones (cabinet, top down and 3/4) which is pretty ugly and the TG sprites look pretty fuckin good. The PR I'm making now will be changing most objects to 3/4 sprites taken from Bay and TG. I'm ambivalent on this because of quite a few reasons, namely it'd make us look a lot like bay and the effort requred to resprite most of everything, but I would like to know what people think.

Initial images:

3swxWEl.png

oBebf0w.png

RU6vp50.png

oLNAvAN.png

5JLtrTA.png

68E76nH.pngwl4O3Fa.png

Currently, the main things that have changed are lockers, vendors (including new vending animations for every vendor pretty much) and most storage objects. I'll look into porting walls soon however I would prefer if we had our own style of walls at least.

Edited by Datamatt
3 minutes ago, Coalf said:

Alright, now all you have to do is change every existing sprite to that standard. Good luck Matt, see you in 5-10 years.

Addendum: Those medkits look terrible.

Yea, this is a good point and why I'll probably end up closing the PR and calling it a day. Not worth it mostly.

12 minutes ago, TehFlaminTaco said:

I like the medkits...

They're all weirdly miss-colored, the blue, white and yellow being the worst offenders as they're for some reason dirt smeared on the sides while the top is brightened out. The red has deep red on the side but a soft red on the top? And for some reason, the green one has just been colored by the same color all over EXCEPT the corners and external sides? Furthermore, the white medkit has an ugly black outline all around itself but then all the others have a black outline just AROUND the handle? Zero ingenuity has gone into the design besides "me put cross on healy thing", where is the flame, where is the O2 sign?
To top it all off the handles were apparently made for people with gigantism and become fat and round.

They're objectively uglier.

Edited by Coalf

As nice as it looks I don't think it is necessary, I'm fine with the old sprites or just changing them slightly, don't need to re-work everything, but it is nice to have something change even if slightly. I personally don't like the 3/4th's look, it looks weird, it makes it look like lockers can only face one direction. So no, I think just keep as is, save the personal torture.

Those vending machines need to die in a hole and never come back. No perspective change on the rest of the sprites will fix how ugly they are when stacked vertically.

I personally prefer the old perspective, since it's steadily becoming rarer as the years go on, but I wouldn't terribly hate a change so long as those ugly vending machines go away and we keep the current perfectly fine ones.

• Gem locked this topic