Treasure on the Asteroid - Gemstones!

Kaed

Going to be implementing a new feature for miners: Gemstones!

Gemstones will come in six flavors (Rubies, Topaz, Sapphires, Emeralds, Amethysts, and Diamonds!), and four sizes (small, medium, large, and enormous)!

Small gemstones will be moderately common to find on the asteroid and will have a chance to be spawned every time you break a rock, much like how crates appear (but much more common).  Medium gemstones are much rarer, large gemstones will probably only happen once in a blue moon and enormous gemstones will be rare enough that it will be a major event to find them.

Gemstones stack with their own size and kind (small rubies with small rubies, medium sapphires with medium sapphires), with a max stack size of 30 for small, 15 for medium, 5 for large, and enormous can't be stacked. 

HOWEVER. There will be a special function where you mix gemstones to make a 'mixed gem' pile which you can add any gemstones into, if you don't want to be neat with your gemstones.   They will be able to be separated later, if you wish.

At this current time, the gemstones will mostly exist to be sent to centcomm for money in the cargo asset account, creating cooperation between cargo and mining.  Later, I will implement more to do with it.  Hypothetical values (subject to balance change) are 50, 250, 1500, and 5000, and diamonds are worth 50% more.

Due to diamonds already existing in game, the diamond blocks you normally mine will be a guaranteed spawn for a couple 1-2 small diamonds, possibly larger ones at a small chance, but it will also drop the same 'raw diamonds' object they used to that is actually used to process into materials in mining.

As you can see, I've sprited the small gemstones and their stacking mechanics!  More to come later.

Rubies.png

Topaz.png

Sapphires.png

Emeralds.png

Amethysts.png

Diamonds.png

Assortment_Gems.png

Edited by Kaed

In a strange way, this makes me want more jewelry. Can I make a crown of gold and set one of these stones into it? Will they have a function beyond selling, and hopefully a function that doesn't involve research (since mining and research are already too closely tied imo)?

9 minutes ago, Carver said:

In a strange way, this makes me want more jewelry. Can I make a crown of gold and set one of these stones into it? Will they have a function beyond selling, and hopefully a function that doesn't involve research (since mining and research are already too closely tied imo)?

Initially, no, they will exist solely to be sold to centcomm. More features will be implemented for them over time, however.  Jewelry is certainly an option in planning.

For now, we will have to be content with less of Cargo trying to pillage the station for fucking bounties constantly and just working with their miner neighbors.

Edited by Kaed

Love how vividly colored the and shiny spites are. It'd also be really fun if/when you do get around to implementing them as crafting materials for something like jewelry, since aesthetic items are always fun, and it could provide a new motive for antags like raiders/mercs/traitors. Raid the mining area for their stocks of gems. 

• Gem locked this topic