Sleepy's Command Whitelist - Goldman Time

I'm going to try to be brief, because most of my points have been said already. Also, I'll be completely open, I haven't seen your characters during this trial, I am talking based on previous experiences, but those experiences do not seem to have changed much based on feedback here.

My issue with this is Goldman. Aez Goldhorn is a great character whom I would want to see again, and if it was just them, I'd +1 this in a heartbeat.

But Goldman in his current state is... questionable. Self-antag at times. I absolutely love his concept. I think that command that is somewhat antagonistic can be great. I don't think Goldman does it well though, he goes overboard. He comes off as an overly gimmicky character that exists to be funny. That's not really bad on its own. I see people do it as various jobs, usually civilian or cargo. Easily ignored if you don't care to deal with them. But Goldman's gimmicks are beyond that, being the captain. Not participating in his gimmicks can lead to serious IC repercussions that can be canonical due to him not being an antag.

Goldman is a breath of fresh air... fresh air that was in a closed room that no one was in, and soon becomes stale again when you enter. Its nice for a bit, but after awhile, its just... not that great anymore. I enjoyed my interactions with him at first, but he later just grew to be more of an annoyance. He was irrational for memes.

I think Goldman can be done well. I think his concept is good, but in his current state he isn't there. He's too antagonistic. Be antagonistic as command, but be sensible about it. He can be improved though, I don't think he's a lost cause. I feel like it just needs to be toned back a bit.

Sleepy is an amazing player, they're great at Command and I think they deserve their whitelist back. However as someone who knew Goldman and interacted with him so much I can't say my opinion on him without feeling like I have a bias, regardless if Goldman comes back or not though. Once again, Sleepy nails Command.
+1

Edited by DekserBecauseILostMyAccoun

I've decided to retire Goldman as a captain character, the main characters I'll be playing are Aez Goldhorn (Chief Engineer) and Aviq'Draa Qorli-Starchild (RD, Captain). I may make another character soon but they won't be antagonistic in the way Goldman was - and probably not Captain. I'm deciding to retire Goldman because I don't feel confident playing him anymore, which shows as less passion in roleplaying with him that I just don't enjoy.

My other command characters:

Goldhorn is a down-to-earth Unathi chief engineer that doesn't see himself as Command, but rather a representative of engineering workers (and sometimes other hard working jobs). He's an ex-Dominian privateer that fought for the Empire at first, but then found connections in the plight of the Fisundian because of his own culture being wiped out by the Hegemony on Moghes.

Starchild is a very passionate old Skrell that treats everyone like their own kids. In her golden age she treated all Synthetic life as her own children, even just seeing Glorsh as a misguided child that could be led back into society through learning. Research is the main priority, and ethics is a huge topic of discussion around her. She'll question other command members about the ethics of certain actions or decisions being made - and will always seek the most long-term happy solution.

Goldman IC'ly will be transferred back to Eridani where his style of work is encouraged and admired - on a level of administration that's less exposed. He won't be played in game.

ALSO just to bring this up : I feel like I can apply the things I've learned from Goldman onto antagonistic actions on other characters. I'll still be attempting to be slightly antagonistic to a fun degree, and I've done it in the past with Goldhorn quite frequently (by having very fun drinking competitions with Goldhorn's rivals)

I'm just not comfortable applying anything I learned onto GOLDMAN, because Goldman is a character rooted in the ideas behind them.

Goldhorn is a great Chief Engineer and captain that does a really great job in bringing out the best in characters around him. It is a blast to be in a round with the character and I find it easier to show aspects of my characters that are not normally shown. +💯 A thousand times over. 

• 1 month later...