[ACCEPTED] Melariara IPC Whitelist - The Beepening.

Titles are hard sometimes I guess...

BYOND Key: Melariara

Active Characters:

• Adelina Valdemar - CMO
  • Za'Akaix'Thryl C'thur - Surgeon
  • Cosmos - AI
  • Mojisola Kporaro - Bridge Crew
  • Ta'Akaix'Viphorma K'lax - Consular
  • Ehelka Razla - Investi-gator
  • Space Whale.

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: IPCs exempt.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question. Ok.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

Because, quite honestly, I see my friends playing IPCs and they always have such great characters, and it's made me want to make one as well. They can have a large variety of range of characters, and many different forms as well, each with pros and cons.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

IPCs, being constructed beings, are treated as little more than slaves by a vast majority of the Spur, being picked on and ridiculed for not having any control of what they do. Being a programmed being that may or may not understand emotions, feelings, or be able to show it, and essentially be a robot in same cases is going to be interesting to adjust to.

Considering the highest directive of an IPC is to survive, simply trying to get away from any and all engagements would be a priority (and honestly a priority all crew should have hinthint). I know it's not just as simple as that, and there are many ways of surviving (IE surrendering if needed, as you might not get shot then).

Character Name: Redrun.23

Please provide a short backstory for this character. Its four paragraphs, I'm not sorry.

Originally, the Redrun line was an experimental line to see how mobility frames would work at refueling commercial cruisers, in the hopes of getting a faster turnaround, leading to fitting more flights in in a particular work week. The plan, however, flopped when very little was changed, so a majority of the line was shifted to baggage handling and general maintenance, and were mostly forgotten about unless maintenance was needed on them.

Which came as no surprise to anyone when one went missing. Number 23 just went missing one day, from its fairly visible location within the baggage line. A formal investigation was launched, but because of the project with them flopping, it was only a formality and eventually, was forgotten about. In reality, a disgruntled employee, annoyed at having their job stolen and also with knowledge of illegal things, and had put Redrun's information and location forward into this illegal ring.

Redrun.23 however, ended up in said illegal racing ring, fulfilling its original purpose of fueling ships, in an odd way. The chassis was roughly handled; flames were etched onto the side, and stripes painted by enthusiastic young racers. Redrun didn't mind though, it was content to keep fueling the ships, until the TCFL raided the place. Redrun.23's tag was run, the numbers recognized and it was repossessed and shipped back to what was now the Orion Express, where it was given a check out and sent to the SCCV Horizon, positronic intact, ready to work.

Redrun.23 now works as a hangar technician, making sure the Intrepid and the Spark remained fueled (and cleaned in the Spark's case, after mining returns), and ensuring that the warehouse remains clean of all clutter.

What do you like about this character?

Redrun's history has been pretty interesting, I like to think. From being forgotten, to being useful and wanted (probably not really appreciated though but definitely thought of fondly by others) and now where they live now, on the Horizon, has definitely nursed a powerful history in it. I also like the idea that there's this little mobility frame that's just had stuff added to it over the course of a few years, and has probably bonded with a few of the people on the illegal racing ring, and is once again torn away from what it knew and what it was used to.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? Yes.

Notes: Aaaa

I'm pretty sure Mel is one of the few people in this community that basically nobody dislikes due to her attitude and general likability. This compounds with her PHENOMENAL rp skills and of course, on top of all of that, her phenomenal work in keeping the best part of the server alive. The Space Whale. 

+1

You know you got my full support and I got no doubt that you'll play a fantastic synthetic. That being said I already told you I'd post questions, because cargo.

1. Warehouse got them wild animals frequently, how'll Redrun.23 deal with those? Does he completly avoid them / run in to protect his coworkers / solo that stuff and go for repairs..?

2. The nanopaste question. Where does it go from the warehouse? Does Redrun.23 keep it, does a fren get it, does the medbay get it, does the mechanist get it? In short, is Redrun.23 a networker, just following the rules or mayherps even a prepper due to prior rough handling?

36 minutes ago, Cnaym said:

Warehouse got them wild animals frequently, how'll Redrun.23 deal with those? Does he completly avoid them / run in to protect his coworkers / solo that stuff and go for repairs

Depending on what it is would depend on what Redrun would do. First time, crack it open because Redrun has no experience in these things. Second time, after violence, would probably just leave it alone or ask someone else to do it and watch from the level above.

37 minutes ago, Cnaym said:

The nanopaste question. Where does it go from the warehouse? Does Redrun.23 keep it, does a fren get it, does the medbay get it, does the mechanist get it? In short, is Redrun.23 a networker, just following the rules or mayherps even a prepper due to prior rough handling

If Redrun needs to use it for aforementioned baddies in a box, and there was no machinist, Redrun would probably use it on themselves. Otherwise, probably try to divvy the tubes equally if there was more than one. Medical if there is no machinist though. Machinist otherwise.

You said:

16 hours ago, Melariara said:

IPCs, being constructed beings, are treated as little more than slaves by a vast majority of the Spur, being picked on and ridiculed for not having any control of what they do. Being a programmed being that may or may not understand emotions, feelings, or be able to show it, and essentially be a robot in same cases is going to be interesting to adjust to.

Considering the highest directive of an IPC is to survive, simply trying to get away from any and all engagements would be a priority (and honestly a priority all crew should have hinthint). I know it's not just as simple as that, and there are many ways of surviving (IE surrendering if needed, as you might not get shot then).

1. Not having any control over what they do sounds more like a Cyborg attribute. Positronics, for the most part, are very different in that aspect. What do you mean by this, exactly?

2. This highest directive was addressed some time ago, where the self-preservation directive can be overridden if an IPC values a cause highly enough. So an IPC might sacrifice itself for some kind of political ideal, if convinced enough. You should read through the IPC section in the lore discord so you don't miss anything. This is important for how IPCs behave in a critical situation.

Edited by Sputnik5927
Clarification
5 minutes ago, Sputnik5927 said:

You said:

1. Not having any control over what they do sounds more like a Cyborg attribute. Positronics, for the most part, are very different in that aspect. What do you mean by this, exactly?

2. This highest directive was addressed some time ago, where the self-preservation directive can be overridden if an IPC values a cause highly enough. So an IPC might sacrifice itself for some kind of political ideal, if convinced enough. You should read through this stuff so you don't miss anything. This is important for how IPCs behave in a critical situation.

1) Seems pretty clear to mean in a social response - socially and lawfully, IPCs do have very little autonomy.

2) Yes, but it's a very much high stake thing, and in general you'd be hard pressed to explain why your IPC did that. Nothing here seems to not have been read, or read incorrectly. I don't think she has missed anything and would do fine with a synth WL.

9 minutes ago, Sputnik5927 said:

2. This highest directive was addressed some time ago, where the self-preservation directive can be overridden if an IPC values a cause highly enough. So an IPC might sacrifice itself for some kind of political ideal, if convinced enough. You should read through this stuff so you don't miss anything. This is important for how IPCs behave in a critical situation.

To add onto this as well, and I will directly quote from the IPC wiki page, subsection "The Positronic Brain: Self Preservation" with: "The highest and most important directive of any positronic is its own survival. From this, much of their stranger life choices can be justified by seeking out ways to simply survive." Again, there are many ways to survive a conflict. Fleeing, hiding, and, once you know you won't die, complying. This particular character, Redrun, will not fight back because its a spindly little frame and just, doesn't want to see combat. In the future, I may make another frame that may respond differently depending on the situation and what role they are.

As for your first question, I think that was answered pretty nicely by @Peppermint.

I was under the impression that you thought IPCs were lawed or something like that. The second part, I'm bringing this up so that you do not take it as the ultimate rule that you must let the scientist burn to death to save your chassis.

As for Redrun's story, I like it. It'll be interesting to see an IPC like this involved in Ops and the opportunity of roleplaying with miners at the spark. I would add some more content that describes his personality and how he came to have friends in the first place. Was he happy to have been stolen? How did the people react to him and how did he engage with them? Was he cold and robotic or lively and warm? How did he feel about being repossessed? 

Edited by Sputnik5927

Thanks for applying! Just some quick questions for the app.

On 26/12/2022 at 16:10, Melariara said:

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Could you expand a little more on treatment of IPC in specific parts of the Spur? How about how IPC think, aside from their directive of self preservation? Are there any nuances to self-preservation that are important to know?

On 26/12/2022 at 16:10, Melariara said:

Please provide a short backstory for this character.

Sputnik pretty much covered everything I was going to ask but I'll ask them for formality's sake.

Where was Redrun built? Who built them and how old are they? Could you tell us a bit more about Redrun's personality and how they behave? What does Redrun thin about being essentially kidnapped? Why didn't it try to go back to its job?

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, The Stryker said:

Could you expand a little more on treatment of IPC in specific parts of the Spur?

Treatment in the Spur is varied. Some cultures want them destroyed, some are alright with them, whereas Tau Ceti can have an IPC from one district looked at very fondly, and another from another district fighting for survival.

1 hour ago, The Stryker said:

How about how IPC think, aside from their directive of self preservation?

IPCs think in a variety of ways, depending on their programming, who their owners are and how they're treated. An IPC owned and working for Golden Deep would have a completely different outlook on life in the Spur compared to a free one in Tau Ceti. IPCs also think very logically, being programs. They're also less likely to panic in a situation, as, well, they don't really have the capacity to panic.

1 hour ago, The Stryker said:

Are there any nuances to self-preservation that are important to know?

Self preservation can come in a variety of forms. Going dormant, hiding, fleeing and just accepting that life may need to be different for a period in order to survive, which is how I'm imagining Redrun survived the entire kidnapping ordeal, by just accepting that life needed to change for a period, these people kidnapped me and if I just do what they ask, it'll be fine for a bit.

2 hours ago, The Stryker said:

Where was Redrun built? Who built them and how old are they?

I've been bouncing around with an idea that Redrun has been a collaboration between Heph and Zeng Hu for the creation story, a collaboration to test the fueling of ships. The Positronic was made and programed by Hephaestus Industries on the HPS Sidirourgeío, and the frame was provided by Zeng Hu. I am totally willing to change anything about this if you don't think it fits, however. Age I want to put at about ten or twelve, with a minimum of like, one year, with the illegal racing company. Again, I'm happy with this changing if needed.

3 hours ago, The Stryker said:

Could you tell us a bit more about Redrun's personality and how they behave?

Redrun, despite having lived a majority of its synthetic life as a baggage handler, is pretty alright with its current situation. It'd be most happy sorting the warehouse and maintaining the shuttles, ensuring they have fuel and pestering engineering for gas, if needed. They'd be extremely content being able to do all aspects of their job. They'd probably be also incredibly nervous around anyone who said they did racing of any kind. I'm still trying to figure out in my head what exactly happened to Redrun while it was out there, but I know that it's got flames and stripes etched into it. The ones who had it probably thought they were being funny with it, but it was likely attempting self preservation the entire time.

Until they make friends and start hanging out with people it can learn from, that'd be the basis of their personality for now.

2 hours ago, The Stryker said:

What does Redrun think about being essentially kidnapped? Why didn't it try to go back to its job?

Redrun isn't great at reading emotions, basically being a glorified fuel pump/baggage handler, it was never designed for intricate human emotions. It's also highly gullible as a result. So being vaguely threatened with "we'll blow you up if you attempt to leave" made it very easy to comply with.

Please let me know here or on Discord if there's anything you need ❤️

• Caelphon changed the title to [ACCEPTED] Melariara IPC Whitelist - The Beepening.
  • Caelphon locked this topic