Pacification Implants

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Pacification Impants were first hinted at in the Unathi Crisis meta-event. In essence, the Skrell have been attempting to experiment on ways to "fix" the Unathi by removing their aggressive impulses through invasive experiments.

Lorewise, A product of this research are "Pacification Implants". They remove all aggression from an individual - by rendering them incapable of making a harmful act. With the implant inside their skull, they just can't actively harming someone. Due to the psychological differences in everyone, this can manifest itself either as them just completely losing all ability to even comprehend how to hurt someone, or just feeling as if they're physically restrained. Because of how species work, we'll have to have this be something implantable in all mobs. It would also make a lot more sense in the context of holding prisoners safely without mind controlling them.

Mechanically, they would "lock" the victim in help intent. They wouldn't be able to punch, grab, or disarm. They would still be able to "throw" things at people or do more complex actions like "override holodeck safety protocols". Whether or not we want to chip to be complex enough to recognize these more complicated things as 'hostile acts' that it needs to prevent is . . Murky. Do we want to completely render the implanted unable to harm, or give them wiggle room to circumvent the "rules" of the implant?

Functionally, these implants would be used as a variation of tracking or loyalty implants. When someone is brigged for a violent crime, it is up to HoS' discretion to request them "pacified". The CMO is the only person cleared to implant someone with the pacification implant. If the CMO refuses, it is up to the Captain to make the decision, and the CMO (or HoS) is compelled to accept the Captain's ultimate judgement.

Legally, being "pacified" would automatically count as a full sentence served and they would be released. It is an alternative to permanent-holding and loyalty implants. In this sense it doesn't turn you into a loyal mindslave to Nanotrasen; you can keep your personality. For IPCs, I imagine. . . We just handwave that this particular chip in the box is made for IPC's and changes their programming?

Drawbacks to it mechanically are that you can still shoot guns, unless it's easy to make it impossible for implanted people to pick up ranged weapons? My suggestions try to lean on the side of what I think is easier for coders. This would have to be where the "rp issue" aspect of it takes over, in that you're not supposed to shoot someone and you'll probably get banned if you do.

Benefits are twofold.

It provides the ability to actively stop an antagonist from killing or hurting people in most conventional ways without robbing them of their personality, or forcing them to give up all their other antag comrades like loyalty implants do. They just make you a pacificed (if still unwilling) captive. And I mean, a pacified nuke op trying to break out of prison and spewing angry insults while being unable to do more than throw plates and litter at chasing security officers is a funny mental image.

It also opens up more opportunities for relationships between the station's different species and factions. This is technology developed by the skrell exclusively to target Unathis, and the Unathi view it as a form of lobotomization. Now the humans have adopted it for their criminal justice system.

Given that this implant causes mechanical changes, there is also extremely little wiggle-room to "badly rp" it. When you're implanted, you can't go into harm intent, so you can't harm someone. Even a griefer would be "pacified" and unable to do anything, unless for some bizarre reason they still retained access to the atmospheric computer or ranged weapons.

Merkenary McRobust exclaims, "SEC PIGS HOW DARE YOU IMPLANT ME WITH THIS YOU SCUM IM GOING TO SHIT FIRE ON YOU SCUMBAGS!"

Merkenary McRobust hugs Oficer Lezzy!

Merkenary McRobust exclaims, "I'M TRYING TO PUNCH YOU WHY CAN'T I PUNCH YOU!?"

I really like this, this might be a fair compro is to the "make bragging more fun" discussion that's gone on for a bit. Although, if its solely up to the CMO to actually implant them or a captain override I REALLY don't wanna see heads of security trying to arrest or threaten the CMO.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
I really like this, this might be a fair compro is to the "make bragging more fun" discussion that's gone on for a bit. Although, if its solely up to the CMO to actually implant them or a captain override I REALLY don't wanna see heads of security trying to arrest or threaten the CMO.

Ideally the CMO is completely within his power to object to the implanting process, and the Head of Security can only compel him by appealing to the Captain. The HoS can't arrest the CMO for refusing the order, because he can't order the CMO, he can only ":c Captain pls". If the Captain sides with the CMO, the implant doesn't happen. If the Captain sides for it, the CMO must do the process or appoint one of his staff to do it. Only then could he be arrested, because he's refusing an order from the Captain.

I was in the mind that IAA should be appealed to as the one to make the final decision if the Captain or CMO is missing. Without a Captain, the HoS appeals to them. Without a CMO, the HoS asks IAA if it's permissible. Without a CMO, Captain, or IAA, the HoS would just fax CC and cry quietly.

Either that or have it default to the Captain... I think it can go either way.

Ideally this doesn't take an entire command staff vote, or it defeats the purpose of being an actually feasible alternative.

Here's my two cents:

First, lore-mechanics-wise (as in, the mechanics of how it would work, in the lore): since it IS still a new technology, what it really does is simply prevent sudden motions and excessive force application on objects (so basically, what this would do is prevent people from punching - they'd just slowly lunge, sloth-style, and from throwing - they'd just again fling at an ultra slow speed), possibly causing pain if attempted, by monitoring and adjusting the neuroelectric impulses at the base of the spinal cord.

NOW, the mechanics of this: it basically means three things: People are locked in the Help intent, as you said. They are also locked out of throwing, AND when attacking with items (like a toolbox, which IIRC does damage even in Help intent) cancels the action and causes mild pain (if either are possible).

Of course, it's always best to give people leeway, and so that lore explanation gives a few beneficial effects:

-People are not blocked out, as said, of causing actions which will come to harm people - like making bombs or even firing guns (as both can be done with slow motions, and technically - we can say that firing a gun is indirect harm - a character pulls the trigger, no one is harmed. The pulled trigger causes the pin to hit the primer and a bullet to fly off/causes the capacitors of a laser weapon to discharge causing a laser projectile, people are harmed - but it is only incidental to the trigger pull)

-Does not actually make characters non-hostile, simply makes them a lot less dangerous. This would come, when applicable, to an injuction against being in the proximity of any "proxy-harm" tool like guns and the facilities to produce explosives.

-Actually gives a reason why it works on IPCs: since it controls 'electric' impulses after the brain (and not on it), it can also monitor for signal data in IPC motion data cabling.

Though to make it fair, I also put forward the following two mechanics:

-A temporary (30sec?) pause in the implant's function after being assaulted (which could be coded in as being triggered by every source of damage)

-A verb (pacify-resist?) that has a low chance (20%?) of succeeding, but when it succeeds it gives the player three minutes without the influence of the implant.

Thoughts?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

-A temporary (30sec?) pause in the implant's function after being assaulted (which could be coded in as being triggered by every source of damage)

-A verb (pacify-resist?) that has a low chance (20%?) of succeeding, but when it succeeds it gives the player three minutes without the influence of the implant.

Thoughts?

20% is a rather high chance. If you resist 5 times in a row, you'll succeed at least once. And giving a total failure state takes away the assurance that the person is pacified - if there's a chance they'll randomly get to maul you for 3 minutes, why bother with the implant and not just chuck them in a cell until transfer? Even I'd be hesitant to use them. . .

Having a pause in the function if you're attacked is something I can possibly see as a good thing. I mean, it opens up the hilarious situation of your antag buddy having to punch you in the face every 30 seconds if he wants covering fire from you. If we want to compromise here, why not unlock "disarm" intent for those 30 seconds? That way he can shove someone, but can't bash their skulls in.

Code exists on Bay to prevent weapon fire and surgery/item use failures on help intent, as far as I am aware it would be a pretty simple exercise to make the implant more comprehensive.

Well there we have it! I think this would neatly tie up all the loose ends. Anything else we can write off as "outside the chip's capabilities", imo.

I like this idea in general principle... both with it being useful and sorta strangely implemented (suggesting it's an imperfect technology). But how about instead of locking out grab intent, locking out upgrading a grab? That way you can still pull someone around (something that's done without hostility a lot, for example with a wounded person), but can't make it a harmful grab?

Thoughts?

20% is a rather high chance. If you resist 5 times in a row, you'll succeed at least once. And giving a total failure state takes away the assurance that the person is pacified - if there's a chance they'll randomly get to maul you for 3 minutes, why bother with the implant and not just chuck them in a cell until transfer? Even I'd be hesitant to use them. . .

Having a pause in the function if you're attacked is something I can possibly see as a good thing. I mean, it opens up the hilarious situation of your antag buddy having to punch you in the face every 30 seconds if he wants covering fire from you. If we want to compromise here, why not unlock "disarm" intent for those 30 seconds? That way he can shove someone, but can't bash their skulls in.

I agree that 20% is a high rate. I also think that minutes is a poor choice. 10-30 seconds at most. Make it so they have to finish their fight fast or be close enough to the fight to get hurt so the device shuts down for a further 30 seconds. Lets tone down the chance to a 5%, and make it take 6-10 seconds to do without flavor text describing it to anyone other than the resisting player.

Thoughts?

20% chance is not that bad. By resist I meant cuffs-like. 20% chance isn't that bad - let's assume that the RNG is lazy and decides that the fifth time will succeed. With a 2 minutes waiting time (cancellable by distraction), that's 8/10 minutes of waiting for 3 minutes of assault. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

And that disarm thing sounds good, too - but that whole nukeops scenario is too funny not to allow.

if this were implemented and used more frequently, I think people would learn to hate it as an antagonist and then only prefer to be taken dead.

I would be among those people, frankly.

Just the thought of an implant that can modify a person's brain chemistry is ridiculous to me (loyalty implants, I'm looking at you) and I certainly don't think we need any more of those. Not to discard the lore buildup, but there's no problem this solves - by the time you've caught a griefer in time to implant him, you probably have him in restraints and unable to do any serious harm to begin with. Far as antagonists go, we already present them with a scenario in which they have no incentive to remain alive if they're captured - they'll be thrown into a cell and the best RP they'll get is having to respond to a gloating warden. Why would we further reinforce the kamikaze mindset with these? I haven't even gotten into how available they would be, how widespread their use would be, etc etc.

I'll be honest - despite the aforementioned lore hint, I think this is a terrible idea mechanically speaking.

Mhmm.

I mean, personally, the best way to permanently 'pacify' someone forever is to shoot their fucking leg off. In SS13, once you lose a leg/foot, you're DONE. Forever.

While the idea is interesting at its best and can make for some good roleplay, there's the issue with the 'metagame' (not the rulebreaking kind) aspect of it. I personally think security will start using these right away to neutralize the suddenly quite violent antagonists that they manage to take alive, and thus put a permanent end to antag shenanigans.

You can't really slap directives on these either, because security might seemingly do it anyway.

Instant win buttons are bad. I've always maintained that loyalty implants in themselves should be used extremely cautiously and only with the consent of the implanted, but I think "pacifiers" in this context might be even worse since there's little to no chance for an antag or anybody else to fight back.

It's pretty much already understood by good sec players that loyalty implants are really there to allow a particularly dangerous antag to stay in the round when they wish to, and have no other options besides being permabrigged.

In-character, the justification for pacification implants could be the same as for loyalty implants - that they're particularly gruesome and unethical, and should only be used as a last resort (but NT's still going to use them sometimes because NT is evil).

• 3 weeks later...