[Denied] LoreDev Application - Chaznoodles

Ckey/BYOND Username: Chaznoodles.

Position Being Applied For (coder, mapper, spriter): LoreDev (Human)

Past Experiences/Knowledge: Was a major part of Apollo lore writing, write scripts, worldbuilding for DnD/40K campaigns.

Examples of Past Work: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BvuBuhRrFwtHfi7GgUsaAmOgh__CBLS4RNpWf8l8sTI/edit

Preferred Mode of Communication (Skype, Steam, etc.): Discord/Steam. Chaznoodles on both.

Additional Comments:

Current lore that concerns humans is written by loredevs from other species, and is extremely minimal in concern to humanity itself, focusing only on their interaction with other races for the majority. I plan to make a more human-centric base for them, as an independent species, as well as fleshing out human planets and their history and culture. This would also involve expanding on current lore regarding humanity, whilst keeping it in a readable and entertaining format, because nobody wants to read irrelevant textwalls.

also i a human therefore a prime candidate for human loredev give job

Previous application closed on request, http://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6795

Current lore that concerns humans is written by loredevs from other species, and is extremely minimal in concern to humanity itself, focusing only on their interaction with other races for the majority.

I often get this feeling too. People tend to focus on the aliens, and I think it wouldn't hurt to give more depth to humanity and its various factions considering their prominence.

Like I said in the last application, I like Chaz. He always gives it to you straight which I think is a good mechanism for internal criticism. I think he's well thought in his abilities as a writer, but it's difficult to discern what his work actually was in this Google doc. Did you have a specialization with any of these sections? The credit near the top seemed to focus in your spell-checking and reviewing capabilities.

Like I said in the last application, I like Chaz. He always gives it to you straight which I think is a good mechanism for internal criticism. I think he's well thought in his abilities as a writer, but it's difficult to discern what his work actually was in this Google doc. Did you have a specialization with any of these sections? The credit near the top seemed to focus in your spell-checking and reviewing capabilities.

The timeline, turning people's thoughts into coherent structured sets, planet lore, Soghun, Skrell.

I have cut some statements and revised them to be better for your good and understanding after a discussion with a staff member.

Okay. Where should I start? Having Chaznoodles would be having another one of those kind of troubles. This time would be in the lore department. In other words, the usual behavior would repeat here and there. Although, the team and possibly most staffs would not work with him efficiently well. Some, including me, will bear grudge to the player (but not the character) and not work with him at all and thus coordination fails here and misunderstandings are created. You can take the previous complaint back in August into consideration, an uproar was caused, staffs had to severely get involved (irrelevant: he accuses people of metagrudge). I do not want these peculiar people to be a LoreDev. You can remain as a player and provide lore canonization applications and Jackboot can review them over before sending them off for all I care.

Considering you've just admitted to meta grudging Chaznoodles (albeit not in character) and have just laid your intention out to effectively stonewall his contributions regardless of their intent or quality, I highly recommend you seek a mediator in the form of a neutral staff member and discuss your misgivings directly with Chaz as "I am going to intentionally screw you btw" isn't really a good mentality to have UM. Since you mentioned it you might want to list the members of staff who are also planning to meta grudge Chaz as well so you guys can all get it out in the open and settle your grievances like big boys.

Regarding Jazzy Chaz's app', I'm of a mind to say that I think you'll be a good lore dev' on the virtue of it just being you Chaz, but could you give an example of what you're planning on adding or changing so we can have a taste of what you'd be doing as lore dev'? Are you going to keep Delta's timeline? Finally some people have misgivings about you because they think you'll be crass and unapproachable, what do you say to that to put those people at ease?

I have cut some statements and revised them to be better for your good and understanding after a discussion with a staff member.

Okay. Where should I start? Having Chaznoodles would be having another one of those kind of troubles. This time would be in the lore department. In other words, the usual behavior would repeat here and there. Although, the team and possibly most staffs would not work with him efficiently well. Some, including me, will bear grudge to the player (but not the character) and not work with him at all and thus coordination fails here and misunderstandings are created. You can take the previous complaint back in August into consideration, an uproar was caused, staffs had to severely get involved (irrelevant: he accuses people of metagrudge). I do not want these peculiar people to be a LoreDev. You can remain as a player and provide lore canonization applications and Jackboot can review them over before sending them off for all I care.

Good to know that you'll completely refuse to work with me in a professional manner if I get accepted, a great quality for a member of a team. Being the complete opposite, I would've been more than happy to work with you in a purely professional manner, because that's what's involved with being part of a team. I've taken your opinion on board, but it doesn't really matter to me due to your attitude displayed :^)

Regarding Jazzy Chaz's app', I'm of a mind to say that I think you'll be a good lore dev' on the virtue of it just being you Chaz, but could you give an example of what you're planning on adding or changing so we can have a taste of what you'd be doing as lore dev'? Are you going to keep Delta's timeline? Finally some people have misgivings about you because they think you'll be crass and unapproachable, what do you say to that to put those people at ease?

I've not actually had the chance to look at Delta's timeline, it seems like the thread has disappeared as a result of his forum account deletion. If someone could link it to me, that'd be great. Due to this, I won't know whether I'll be keeping or tossing the timeline, but I do intend for humanity to become more expansionistic, as is a common trend in history, as well as pushing their scientists overtime to develop new technology, to engage in a 'cold war' of sorts with the Skrell. I plan on working corporations more into the humanity lore, as they appear to be large enough to hold a great deal of power within planetary governments through bribes and blackmail, rather than governments seemingly being completely disconnected.

As a note to the crass and unapproachable, I'm more than approachable. I'm usually available on Discord if people have an issue with me they want to iron out in PMs, or if they have anything to offer, or just want to chat. I'm willing to take on board constructive criticism and roll with it, as well as coordinate with others to create lore that weaves in well with current situations. I'm professional in situations where it's needed. Be a dick to me outside that, and I'll be a dick right back, simple as. Treat others how you want to be treated.

I personally find Chaz to be a very direct and genuine person if you want to give decent feedback on the lore he'll be responsive to that, it doesn't really matter who you are or his opinion of you he'd be willing to work with you if you actually have anything constructive or interesting to offer.

+1 Build a wall and make the Tajara pay for it.

Ta babe

Having a quick gander at that timeline, I'd scrap everything pre-Second Space Age, and replace it with a 'Corporations are now mostly in charge' blurb. Seems like needless bloat of the lore with stuff that'll never ever be referenced. I'd modify the Second Space Age stuff to be in keeping with that, Sol Alliance stuff seems to be fine at a quick glance, Transstellar stuff too. First Interstellar War seems fine too and fits in with what I have in mind later, though it'd need to be modified somewhat. The rest of it seems pretty fine, aside from Nanotrasen appearing as a benelovent overlord.

Oh, and I'm nuking earth. Again. The destruction and uninhabitability of earth is a common trend to force humans out among the stars, and I want it to return to that way. It also makes people come up with a backstory for their character and more development, rather than "he is earthman".

From what you've answered, so far I believe you'd be a good addition to the Loreteam and certainly to Humanity's backstory. I'd definitely give you a +1.

BUT, there is one reply of yours that bothers me however and that reply is this one;

Oh, and I'm nuking earth. Again. The destruction and uninhabitability of earth is a common trend to force humans out among the stars, and I want it to return to that way. It also makes people come up with a backstory for their character and more development, rather than "he is earthman".

How exactly will this be worked out? Do you plan to retcon the entire Restoration progress that Earth has gone through up until 2458? Do you plan to announce a major event that'd make Earth once again a post-apocalyptic planet mainly covered in wastelands etc? How exactly will this make people come up with more developed backstories for their characters according to you? I've seen plenty of Human characters who originate from the Motherplanet with well-developed backstories. I'm just worried if they'll be forced to rework most of that SHOULD this change come through.

I echo Ricky's sentiments, can you give us an abridged teaser as to how you'll be working it into the lore and what you mean by 'nuking the earth'. We talking Fallout or 'Threads' (campy 'actually everything's fine' or grimdark realism), bearing in mind the massive effect it'll it'll have on characters current and new?

How exactly will this be worked out? Do you plan to retcon the entire Restoration progress that Earth has gone through up until 2458? Do you plan to announce a major event that'd make Earth once again a post-apocalyptic planet mainly covered in wastelands etc? How exactly will this make people come up with more developed backstories for their characters according to you? I've seen plenty of Human characters who originate from the Motherplanet with well-developed backstories. I'm just worried if they'll be forced to rework most of that SHOULD this change come through.

I plan on retconning it. It's silly, when there's hundreds of other worlds out there that are earth-like, and no corporation is ever going to pour funding into that. With all it's natural resources exhausted, turned into a smog-filled ball of dry earth, there's nothing worth restoring.

Doing this will push characters away from the status quo of earthman, and may drive them to create their own planets and areas from which they originate, thereby fleshing out the lore further. I'm more than open to leaving it how it is, however, if that's what people feel will contribute to lore best, and if they can explain why.

I'm also in agreement that while some disaster would be fine for Earth, but for it to reach a point that we can no longer base our characters from Earth is not something I personally want to see happen. One of my primary characters is based from Earth as well.

I'm also in agreement that while some disaster would be fine for Earth, but for it to reach a point that we can no longer base our characters from Earth is not something I personally want to see happen. One of my primary characters is based from Earth as well.

Can you explain your reasoning behind this, aside from "my character is from there"? How do you think keeping earth would help the lore?

I am vaguely curious as to exactly how you would go about retconning Earth's history. A lot of lore has been built on a restored Earth. Are you really prepared to go through the Wiki and all the media streams ripping up or changing every single reference? Or do you have a different plan in mind? Would you, for example, move the Sol Alliance's capital to a more substantial place in the absence of a populated Earth? What happened to earth animals? Were they cloned on other worlds? This could be workable, but it would almost take a great deal of effort on your part. Just wanna make sure you realize that this isn't a change that can be made casually.

I am vaguely curious as to exactly how you would go about retconning Earth's history. A lot of lore has been built on a restored Earth. Are you really prepared to go through the Wiki and all the media streams ripping up or changing every single reference? Or do you have a different plan in mind? Would you, for example, move the Sol Alliance's capital to a more substantial place in the absence of a populated Earth? What happened to earth animals? Were they cloned on other worlds? This could be workable, but it would almost take a great deal of effort on your part. Just wanna make sure you realize that this isn't a change that can be made casually.

I'd be more than happy to rip it out of lore entirely, and all that entails. Sol's capital would be moved to a less samey location, probably turn it into a giant space station composed of numerous asteroids all chained together around Jupiter or something in the belt. Earth animals, as is to be expected, would've been taken upon the colonisation of different worlds, so would never have went extinct. I wouldn't have suggested it as a change if I wasn't willing to go through with it.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

This application has proven contentious, I've had a few people PM me saying they are against it.

This is a public reminder that transparency is important, especially when making staffing decisions. I weigh feedback much more heavily when it's done in the actual application - ruling against an application with lots of supporting posts, or ruling for a application with lots of opposing posts, because of 'behind closed doors' talk makes me look like an asshole.

I'm going to let this sit for a day or so more before providing my thoughts, to give further chance to the nay-sayers.

Alright, I went on my epic quest to gather some thoughts from other people and the main concerns they have are the following:

- You were banned already, were on the edge to getting banned again.

- You have a certain attitude OOCly people don't like. (Ill try to get more exact info on that.)

- Numerous complaints that have your name on it.

On the staff side:

- Same here, you were banned already, both on the forums and on the server.

- Numerous notes that leaves staff with a sour taste in their mouth when they think about you being a staffmember.