Merge Virology And Pharmacist Into A New Title: Bio-Physician

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Virologist is a non-role. Merging them with chemist is functionally equivalent to deleting the virologist, consider this:

The only valuable part of virology is the ability to cure viruses. The mechanics for creating viruses are incredibly shallow, and the system itself is several years out of date. Instead of hamfistedly merging the two roles I would alternatively propose removing virologist entirely. The sublevel becomes focused on quarantine and the curing process becomes more streamlined so regular medical staff can accomplish it. Alternatively the spirit of this suggestion is pursued in that the chemist becomes responsible for curing viruses as a side-job, through the creation of immunization chemicals that Burger is working on, although more in-depth mechanics would probably be necessary as they become the focus instead of an option.

In a sense, the only distinction between what is proposed and the original suggestion is we get rid of virus creation entirely and we don’t use the dumb BioChemist title, with the option of also focusing on immunizations instead of just reactive cures.

There is a lot to unpack here. I use the nomenclature of 'merge' because it puts the point of the suggestion across better. 'Delete virologist then expand on a new alt-title role that is like virologist but isn't the virologist' is unnecessarily dense.

The sublevel will remain a quarantine area. It is probably for the best if the lab is kept physically separate from quarantine, since the place becomes a spam fest of suffering and angry, violent crew.

Making the curing process more streamlined will harm the people who actively enjoy the act of playing virologist. I have found that while there is popular enjoyment in the virologist role mechanically, its incredibly niche role makes it sooo boring. We should look to improve on existing jobs rather than just make more magic chemicals that solve all our problems.

Having the chemist cure viruses as a side job is the point of the suggestion. The addition of the bio-chemist alt-title allows people to either exclusively main chemistry, or choose to do both chemistry and virology. It presents an option.

This last bit is reactive, but.... Immunizations are reactive. We cannot create immunizations to viruses that do not yet exist.

• 9 months later...
Guest Marlon Phoenix

This is still an important suggestion to me. Virologist remains a highly unpopular role. Its too specialized to function on HRP in an engaging way.

My only concern is mapping. Our current map does not have room to build outward from the chemistry lab, and virology equipment takes up space. For the sake of flavor, virology should reasonably have containment locks, etc. 

in the meantime, though, why don’t we just go the lazy route and have the role come with access to both?  Half of medical can access virology anyway. 

On 30/01/2018 at 15:00, Senpai Jackboot said:

The maintenence area is not 'wasted space'. It is meant to be a large, winding, maze-like area for stealth and the like, while giving the feel of a large, sprawling station with a lot of waste. A total remap of medical is a bit above and beyond the point of this suggestion since there is still space that can be utilized in what is already established. At least in the 3 ways I found while examining the map.

That's not a maze, it's a few tunnels and a giant section that no one uses because it's a stupid meme area. If you want to be a maze, we shouldn't have a giant wheelchair racing room that takes up a quarter on maintenance in that department. 

Guest Marlon Phoenix

PoZe mapped the actual new section, and I used MSpaint to fine tune the vision I saw for this location. I ran it by Resilynn, a frequent medical main, to get a medmain's perspective on the encroachment of the extra ICU.

The new lab is a smidge cramped, but all of the necessary tools ar e present.

All test monkeys and crew are still kept in the sublevel, isolated from everyone else. The lab is safe from rioting sick people.

sdsdf.png

I think atleast that those few that play virologist will feel pretty miffed that their current lab gets turned into what amounts to a cleaning supplies closet. If you want to combine these roles I'd for one make the setup a bit more inspiring as not to make players of both of these jobs feel disappointed at the outcome. I'm all for merging the jobs but not if the lab turns into this.

I recommend not cutting down the ICU like this, it renders it pretty much useless to the point it can be removed entirely. I won't lie, the ICU cryo tube and sleeper are never used, but you need at least a little space where you can stuff patients, for example awaiting surgery, to hook them up to an IV so they don't fucking die, while you perform surgery in lightning speed. If you have to, utilize the (also never used) space of the two examination rooms. You can cut down one of them, maybe, without needing to remove the back door leading out of the department. All in all, I agree with ferner here. This looks currently not so good, too small and underwhelming. What happens to the, now unused, space in the sublevel? Will it just be removed?

Also, Bio-Physician still makes absolutely no sense as a name, just throwing this in here.

Edited by KingOfThePing
  • 2 weeks later...