Character/player complaint sarah something

It's already been determined that no metagame was involved during the Telescience investigation. Keep in mind that this is a complaint regarding Sarah Scott/K0NFLIQT - I request that you take all grievances regarding other players/characters and other rounds (unless they involve the same player) to a different thread.

Okay, here's the way I see it.

Regarding pre-emptively locking down departments such as Telescience and Genetics as a Head of Security, I see that as an absolute no-no. You should only do this on, say, code red if you /know/ they're actively being abused.

As for the entire permanent holding issue: I don't see your treatment as being in violation of SOP or Corporate Regulations. As unfortunate as it may be, the fact is that the active Head of Security has the right to extend your punishment up to permanent holding for grand theft and/or infiltration as per Corporate Regulations (please refer to http://wiki.baystation12.net/index.php/Corporate_Regulations this, medium level infractions). You are not entitled to any sort of reduction in sentence unless you actually come to the brig and confess to your crimes of your own volition. What I will say, however, is that this could have easily been handled in a more pleasant fashion for both parties: Namely, loyalty implantation to guarantee your cooperation, followed by your release. This would have benefited both you and security - security would have been told the whole story truthfully, and you would have been free to continue enjoying the round with the added restriction of not assisting antags.

An unrelated side note: I'd appreciate it if you folks remained on topic. This is a complaint thread, you can chat via PMs/skype/other means. Thank you.

my biggest complaint in this is that it seems lately hos always extend this "right" and lock honest players who are just trying to rp for an unessecary long time. If it was a once in a while thing I can get that. But it seems every time an hos is locking someone up and it's a situation where they can extend it to perma brig, they almost always do ruining the game and fun rp the player could be having.

The default should not be "can I justify perma brig then perma brig it is" it should only be if they are an actual active threat. But that is not what's going on and Sarah and many other hos' will alway escalate to perma brig for any excuse they can get. It literally ruining the game for anyone that finds themselves remotely in security's hands.

Furthermore you've now had three or four dedicated players state they feel that this was too much. Even if it was within sop shouldn't that illicit a change of practice. if there has been multiple complaints by primary players about the security practice that I would hope would cause us to make a change so all players can be happy with the way security conducts itself. This idea that it's in the hos hands does not seem to work and has been voiced by several players. OK at the time Sarah was "by the books" right in the power she used. But that does not mean she was ethically right and its pretty clear by the comments here many players feel that. If we are getting this complaint from multiple players that the hos abuses this right. then the right and the books need to change.

Regarding pre-emptively locking down departments such as Telescience and Genetics as a Head of Security, I see that as an absolute no-no. You should only do this on, say, code red if you /know/ they're actively being abused.

As for the entire permanent holding issue: I don't see your treatment as being in violation of SOP or Corporate Regulations. As unfortunate as it may be, the fact is that the active Head of Security has the right to extend your punishment up to permanent holding for grand theft and/or infiltration as per Corporate Regulations (please refer to http://wiki.baystation12.net/index.php/Corporate_Regulations this, medium level infractions). You are not entitled to any sort of reduction in sentence unless you actually come to the brig and confess to your crimes of your own volition. What I will say, however, is that this could have easily been handled in a more pleasant fashion for both parties: Namely, loyalty implantation to guarantee your cooperation, followed by your release. This would have benefited both you and security - security would have been told the whole story truthfully, and you would have been free to continue enjoying the round with the added restriction of not assisting antags.

An unrelated side note: I'd appreciate it if you folks remained on topic. This is a complaint thread, you can chat via PMs/skype/other means. Thank you.

my biggest complaint in this is that it seems lately hos always extend this "right" and lock honest players who are just trying to rp for an unessecary long time. If it was a once in a while thing I can get that. But it seems every time an hos is locking someone up and it's a situation where they can extend it to perma brig, they almost always do ruining the game and fun rp the player could be having.

The default should not be "can I justify perma brig then perma brig it is" it should only be if they are an actual active threat. But that is not what's going on and Sarah and many other hos' will alway escalate to perma brig for any excuse they can get. It literally ruining the game for anyone that finds themselves remotely in security's hands.

Furthermore you've now had three or four dedicated players state they feel that this was too much. Even if it was within sop shouldn't that illicit a change of practice. if there has been multiple complaints by primary players about the security practice that I would hope would cause us to make a change so all players can be happy with the way security conducts itself. This idea that it's in the hos hands does not seem to work and has been voiced by several players. OK at the time Sarah was "by the books" right in the power she used. But that does not mean she was ethically right and its pretty clear by the comments here many players feel that. If we are getting this complaint from multiple players that the hos abuses this right. then the right and the books need to change.

I think you got lucky with being put in perma, you helped break into a room with a NUCLEAR WARHEAD locked within, you should have had suspected terrorisim added. If it was say, Ana as HOS at the time, you probably would have been executed. Think about it this way, if you broke into the USA's nuclear warheads storage facility and then later surrendered, you'd still be either executed at a later date or taken to Guantanamo. Cooperation and surrendering does not guarantee alleviation from penalties, it is up to the HOS if you get the time reductions.

I think you got lucky with being put in perma, you helped break into a room with a NUCLEAR WARHEAD locked within, you should have had suspected terrorisim added. If it was say, Ana as HOS at the time, you probably would have been executed. Think about it this way, if you broke into the USA's nuclear warheads storage facility and then later surrendered, you'd still be either executed at a later date or taken to Guantanamo. Cooperation and surrendering does not guarantee alleviation from penalties, it is up to the HOS if you get the time reductions.

Many of you seem to think that this game is some sort of realistic simulator that must adhere to real life situations at all times. Well it’s not. Yes if I broke into the US nuclear facility I would likely be jailed for my entire life. I am willing to bet that most people that play this game play this not because it adheres to the strict recourses of life but because it serves as an escape. Understanding this means that some leeway’s will be granted. If you want to talk about “realistic” situations then how bout we limit people that are in head positions to only people that have played this game 10+ years. After all you can’t actually become a head of anything in real life unless you do this. Why don’t we do this? Because we grant a leeway and depart from reality because it’s too inconvenient and not productive to a fun relaxing atmosphere. Likewise I argue that the severity of a crime should not be treated as if you committed the crime in real life (like many of you seem to want to do) but instead a punishment should encourage a fun and friendly atmosphere. The ability to enjoy the game by all parties and produce fun atmosphere should always have more weight than an attempt to simulate recourses of reality.

do not misconstrue what I am saying, I am not saying we should completely depart from reality, a part of the enjoyment of this game is also based in its simi-realistic settings and situations. What I am saying is that leeways should be given (as they already are in many other aspects) to the justice side of this game and the way security conducts itself so that we may have a more friendly and fun environment enjoyed by all.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Crying about 'muh office simulator' is not going to help your argument. You consciously were willing to aid a woman in breaking into a secure location containing a nuclear explosive without a second thought, and if it was me I would have put you in permanent holding too. Conspiracy to commit grand theft, neglect of duty, conspiracy to infiltrate - you would be brigged until transfer until such a point you would be transferred to police custody and given a trial by a jury of your peers.

I don't care if people play this game as an escape. I play this game as an escape. But like any game, if you break the rules, you get punished. And you broke very serious rules and just expected to be let off with a slap on the wrist? The IC world doesn't bow to you. You're some worthless scientist on the station and I don't even think the Board of Directors would even know your employee number, no less your name.

Punishments aren't here to create a 'fun and friendly' atmosphere. You broke the law. You get a jail cell. If you don't want a jail cell, don't break the law. How is this a difficult concept to comprehend?

And for your argument, guess what. We don't treat them like we do in real life. At most you're in prison for three hours compared to what should be a life sentence. So you already have what you wanted. Leeway. Assault is like twenty mintues compared to five to eight years, maybe. There already is leeway.

Susan the entire point of this game is to create a ‘fun and friendly’ atmosphere that everyone can enjoy playing (that’s the point of most games). So my argument that further leeway is needed to create this atmosphere would be valid. I already recognized some leeway is given and I (as many others) have stated not enough leeway has been given. I also did not say we currently treat this game as if it where real life (infact I said the opposite of that). There are some aspects of this game that is still treated to a degree of realistic expectations that is causing problems and reducing enjoyment to the game (such as security sop). Because of the nature of this simi-realistic treatment and the nature of security it makes this part of the game not very enjoyable for anyone (players hate sec and sec hates players, I don’t know about you but that is a problem for me)

As for your comments about “it’s the rules and you broke them”. That has been thrown around a lot and you know what’s amazing about this game? We can change the rules to better improve gameplay. Woah, that’s amazing. I understand it’s currently in the rules that technically sarah was in the right to perma brig me(already stated this). But as it has been voiced several times a lot of players think it should not happen and the rules should be adjusted to reflect this. So this idea that because it’s in the rules makes it right is bullshit. Being an evolving game we can change the rules to better suit the players enjoyment (not just mine but all players including sec officers). And infact when a rule comes up that does cause problems it should be adjusted so that everyone can be satisfied with its results. You are literally ignoring the desire for enjoyment of several members of this community when you try to brush this off as “it’s in the rules deal with it, ima perma brig you every chance you get’

Furthermore your comments tell me should I ever commit a crime, I should always resist and fight you to the fullest I can because I will likely be permabrigged anyway and removed from the game. How is that conducive to fun RP. I will need to attempt to kill your charater every time rather than attempt to go quietly and have enjoyable rp amongst security members because there is no hope to be able to continue playing and Rping within that round if you arrest me. That is what these harsh sentences get you. no rp, no fun, chucklefuckery.

Yes, I am ignoring it, because it is ridiculous and spouted by problem players (such as yourself) who seem to think we need goon sentencing where murder is ten minutes.

I don't know what kind of fantasy world you live in but not every game is tooled to be fun and friendly for everyone, especially not roleplay games, which generally have a strict ruleset to abide by. In this case, it is the law and corporate guidelines, which have to exist in our world because without them we would be departing greatly from reality. Being sentenced to long times for serious crimes is a fact of life, and like it or not, in this game you are taking control of a character's life. Permabrigging someone for justified reasons is well within the line of what we should be expecting from our universe. Last time I checked, the headline at the top of our window was 'heavy roleplay', not 'light roleplay' or 'medium roleplay'. If you can't handle the sentence given to you, a justified sentence, then maybe a server that is less serious is a better home.

People bitching about something doesn't mean their bitching is worthwhile, justified, or something we have to listen to. What I'm seeing here is basically you being upset you got permabrigged when it was logical and justifiable for that to happen to you. Rather than take your punishment in stride and deal with it you're starting some crusade to change our basic and common sense guidelines with the peanut gallery inserting themselves because they too got arrested once for something, woe is me, being jailed is so boring.

Security SoP does not cause problems. It reduces your enjoyment of the game because you broke it and got arrested. The problem is not SoP, it is you who as a non-antag wanted to risk everything to help Charlie and then got caught, so you decide to take it out on security when it is no one's fault but your own for ending up in the situation you were in. You broke the law the sentence was justified, and there is nothing wrong with the law. You are just upset you got brigged, like everyone I have ever seen because they can't grasp the concept they did something wrong. If you hadn't have conspired to commit multiple grand crimes to begin with you wouldn't have been permabrigged at all.

There is no problem with SoP - you are the problem. Permabrig for two grand crimes is not harsh, get over yourself. It is justified. Infiltration and grand theft together amount to over sixty which is an immediate permabrig anyway. What you should be saying is I shouldn't be doing grand crimes as a non antagonist because I will be sentenced like an antagonist which usually results in permanent holding. Outside of that, you are overexaggerating and attempting to imply security will permabrig you for anything when that is outrageous and entirely not true. You were guilty of two high crimes, not slapping someone or hopping the kitchen counter.

That all very quickly deteriorated into a place it wasn't meant to.

Susan, chill. You don't have to be so abrupt, people are still learning and your comments are perhaps more forceful then you intend. Please consider other peoples feelings when replying. I don't want players leaving because you spoke too abruptly, however truthful it may be. Behind every character is a person and those people can be hurt as much as the people sitting next to you.

Travis, this thread has been depleted of its real reason for existing. Susan has spoken and therefore there really is nothing left to be replied. It is time to drop the subject less your feelings be hurt more.

Thank you everyone for contributing, it has been a real eye opener for me.

One I am not a problem player.

So let’s break this down. I never said every game is tooled for fun and friendly environments and I understand some things will not be acceptable (please do not misconstrue or misinterpret what I say because that’s what you keep doing). I am also not vouching for being able to murder someone and only have 10mins (again do not put words in my mouth). I am arguing, like I do in the suggestions forum, that perma is something that should be used for violent crimes or at least used less often unlike the way so many bad security officers want to use it.

Now, Here you go appealing to the way we treat reality again and saying it’s the rules of the game. I already explained the nature of this game can change if enough people on the server feel it should, I am further arguing that we have enough people (this has been voiced many times) to justify a change. Then you explain that perhaps I should simply leave the server if I don’t like it. Granted that might be a consideration at this rate, but I have been attempting to provide logical reasoning as to why the current sop is not useful so that we all may be happy. You are setting up the situation “my way or the highway” without discussion. Now I was told that discussion is encouraged (infact I believe we just lost other players because discussion was not had) now you are telling me that its law deal with it or leave. Well which is it?

However I will continue to attempt to convince you why this sop is bad. If I play as an antag my only course of action is blowing up security because any thing I do that is less than that it will land me in permabrig(there goes 100 role play options for an antag). If this server is heavy roleplay then I would expect it to focus on roleplay encouraging systems. As an antag (whoes sole job is to provide something for others to rp with) how is being permabriged the moment they do anything, or having to blow up/kill sec officers to avoid it. encouraging roleplay (after all this is a heavy roleplay server). If I am an antag the only way I can avoid being permabriged is to blow up/kill security because the moment they get their hands on me I’ll be permabriged thus ending any roleplay for me and other players who wanted to roleplay with an antag. That is why I am suggesting this change. Because this server is a heavy roleplay server and I would it expect to take a moment and attempt to encourage roleplay.

Equally, for what reason would they keep a real actual nuclear warhead on an expensive space station?

It could just be a replica nuke, and a trophy.

Destruction of dangerous research? I.e. Biological Weapons (Virology), Dangerous Animals (Xenobiology), etc. For the enactment of the most severe method of quarantine -> Extermination.

I know its satire-ish, but look at the Film the "Andromeda Strain" that research facility has a massive self destruct system. Lots of fun. :D

But yeaaaaaaaaahhhh~ I see where you are coming from perfectly well.

Equally, for what reason would they keep a real actual nuclear warhead on an expensive space station?

It could just be a replica nuke, and a trophy.

If it was kept in a display stand, out in open? Sure, it'd be believable that it's fake. Instead, it's kept in the most secure area of the station, separated by R-walls, a door that's kept bolted even on Code Green, and the vacuum itself. Hell, all the room's missing is turrets at this point. To believe the Nuke in there is anything other than real would require being a brainwashed sheep or an absurdly optimistic fool.

Do take note, OOCly, Code Delta. What do you think activates when the station goes boom during Malf? I don't imagine it's the hate-filled circuitry of a flustered AI, nor the numerous small fuel tanks about the station.

So, what do we plan on solving here, exactly? I've been trying to follow the thread here but I've not seen anything majorly rulebreaking, much less minorly.

I guess we're trying to understand what the SoP dictates in terms of grand theft. I'm only able to pull off from my past experience as HoS-in-training, but to me, no matter how horrible the crime, perma was last resort.

I can recall very sleazy criminal masterminds able to jump loopholes around Rose to get out of the brig. My most hated enemy was probably Burt McNaughton (or however that name went) some HoP who could twist the system to his favor, legally, and then laugh at Rose across the bar. She would give deathglares of pure hatred while he drank black russian in her face.

He eventually got his just dessert when Centcomm had enough of the guy, and sent someone to arrest him. That made Rose grin from ear to ear. But see, drama like that went for rounds and rounds, and it wasn't wrapped up in one shift.

What bothered me wasn't the fact that there was 'perma-brigging', but was it justified? What was the evidence? If the AI saw it, or Travis' prints were on the computer, theeeeen okay. Or was it purely speculation and the perma-brigging was just a way to try and weasel info out of Travis? Imho, interrogation should be the course of action.

Remember, Travis was basically tricked - he was asked by a trusted head to do something he didn't know what. Let's say the bartender was given a poisoned bottle of wine by an antag head, and asked to serve it to the captain. Bartender does so, captain is killed. Did the bartender know the wine was poisoned? Did Travis know the coords given were the vault location?

....And can someone please link me the SoP?

Please keep this on topic. The complaint is about K0nfliqt's Head of Security. It's not about what SoP is, how security should be run or anything else...

If we're unable to keep this on topic then the thread will be locked.

Thank you.

I see personally no problem on any level.

The complaint of metagame is pretty much impossible, if not unlikely. To specifically KNOW they were going to break into the vault specifically would take some pretty serious metagame. To say "You two had better not do anything illegal." would be more believeable.

The complaint of draining Travis' enjoyment is an iffy one (In a way killing his character, roleplay-wise). While I will agree that its a bit harsh to be sentenced to permabrig for minor crimes (I've been sent to permabrig, although its usually because I escalate the situation accidentally), its really not worth whining about. In this case, I agree with Susan: Can't take the time, don't do crime. Any crime. At all. You are subject to the whims of security if you do a crime. While I understand, Furry, you're all about "we should be lenient, man", while I will make no particular statement on that in this thread, I will say that currently your change has not been implemented. Security has every right to be as harsh as they wish, most of their sentences are ridiculously short by real life standards. (You got three hours of jail at most for assisting in theft of a nuclear fission device, a bomb that kills millions.)

Finally, the complaint of the HoS locking down Telescience is the one that catches the most ground, because it could be qualified as metagrudging. I will say that the HoS really should never do this, even if its potentially dangerous. Locking down departments is the opposite of fun, and the excuse that "It could possibly be somewhat dangerous" on a highly experimental research station just doesn't really fly. Don't lock it down; post guards. If this is deemed metagrudging though, perhaps it is best we give your ideology a try Furry; that is absurd leniency.

Why did everyone forget that I (the AI unit C.A.B.A.L.) was actually a traitor that round? Not only did I immediately report most of the crimes I spotted on to the security channel, but I also informed Charlie via a mysterious hacker moniker that security was onto them. My goal during this round was to create as much chaos and infighting as possible. Sorry Sarah, but you were coordinating security too effectively, so I opened all of the slime pens and broke the lights so anyone going in there would be welcomed with some nice, squishy slime hugs. The reason you guys were in the brig for so long is because by the end of that round, I had managed to indirectly kill all of security except for the Warden, and he had his hands full to be sure. I gave everyone the worst possible slant. So a few clarifications about the round:

1. I killed people with slimes - this was no mistake on Travis' part.

2. I was fully aware that Charlie was hiding in Nasir's closet disguised as a light bulb - but what fun is it to tell security that?

3. There was no trojan - I overloaded the lighting circuit and bolted the doors open in the brig arbitrarily.

4. When Travis walked out of the permabrig, I informed the warden he was trying to escape.

5. At the end of the round, I made a dramatic reveal, kept everyone from getting out of the way of a radiation belt, injected plasma into the permabrig, and killed everyone inside.

This round isn't a reflection of how people usually act; I was doing a lot of puppetry in the shadows, so apologies if things ran afoul, but it was part of the grand scheme.

On the other hand, I quit right after that round, so I don't know about any telescience bolting after that.

I remember this now. I actually was able to escape being locked in Sec along with the warden and another officer who, on our way to escape and onto the shuttle, died from some sort of plasma fire? All I remember is that me and Rai ended up escaping because of her giant robot suit and her attached sleeper where she stored me, but thats off topic. Now that I remember this round, I know what happened. We did not expect the AI to be a traitor, but the AI was keeping us informed. Once we captured Charlie we had all the evidence we needed to arrest you for multiple charges that went well over sixty minutes, which is perma brig in that case. We also had Stamos and I believe someone else was arrested during this time but the last person gave themselves up and only got about 25 minutes for not sparking a man hunt and literally coming to our door and saying "Yes I did it". You, from what I remembered, kept questioning why you were being arrested and telling us that we were wrong, so while you submitted for questioning, you did not qualify for time off from what I remember.

I remember this now. I actually was able to escape being locked in Sec along with the warden and another officer who, on our way to escape and onto the shuttle, died from some sort of plasma fire? All I remember is that me and Rai ended up escaping because of her giant robot suit and her attached sleeper where she stored me, but thats off topic. Now that I remember this round, I know what happened. We did not expect the AI to be a traitor, but the AI was keeping us informed. Once we captured Charlie we had all the evidence we needed to arrest you for multiple charges that went well over sixty minutes, which is perma brig in that case. We also had Stamos and I believe someone else was arrested during this time but the last person gave themselves up and only got about 25 minutes for not sparking a man hunt and literally coming to our door and saying "Yes I did it". You, from what I remembered, kept questioning why you were being arrested and telling us that we were wrong, so while you submitted for questioning, you did not qualify for time off from what I remember.
I acknowledged the second arrested and sentence for perma was valid. What I am upset by is how I was thrown into perma right off the batt for the first arrest

You were reported talking about the Vault, and then you helped Dove break into it. It's reasonable to arrest the only person who knows Telescience for Telescience being misused under their watch.

Anyway. I was accused of meta and it's been proven I did not meta. Is there a reason this thread is still open?

I acknowledged the second arrested and sentence for perma was valid. What I am upset by is how I was thrown into perma right off the batt for the first arrest

One of the additional penalties for Grand Theft, which is what occurred, is Holding until Transfer. In the corporate regulations, it is defined as this for the medium crimes, which Grand Theft falls under: Additional Penalties' can be decided by authorization of Captain, Head of Security, or equivalent, and do not require tribunals.

Whether or not you agree with it, discretion of what penalty to enforce fell under the HoS' request, which at the time, was Perma.

EDIT: Visual Aids didn't work. Here are links.

http://puu.sh/f32Qz/a9ff3aa7aa.png

http://puu.sh/f32UP/261dbc1c16.png

So far, I believe we've established two things:

a) There were no violations of protocol committed by the accused party.

b) No metagame of any sort was involved.

Considering the facts outlined above, I'm marking this complaint as resolved. If the originator wishes to contest this, he is free to send me a PM. Otherwise, all complaints regarding this player/character will have to be presented in a new thread.

Locked and archived.

Edit: I did an oops. I'm so sorry.