Kunta's Sol Navy Fatigue

Ganjaa

BYOND Key: Ganjaa

Character name: Kunta X

Item name: Sol Navy Fatigue

Why is your character carrying said item to work? To basically represent his true past and history. To be recognized as a true solider from Sol. Also, he is attached to it and it helped remind him of where he came from

Item description: Just the basic suit and hat

Item appearance: Dark blue Sol Navy Fatigues

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP? Well, I've been looking for ways to give Kunta an official background/ history. I always liked the idea of him being from Sol, and working for the Navy under Sol. I think it'll better interact with the crew by helping them recognize him as a true solider from Sol, let everyone know that he has an actual military background. This will also help me develop a more interestign story with his background and him not being able to let go of the past and his Fatigues.

Additional comments: Personally, I love the way it looks on Kunta, it give him a more serious and sharper look. Also, this will help me really lock in place his official story and background. I hope this pulls through.

Kunta is a terrible character outright that never acts as if a real person would, outright insults superiors without fear of repercussions, and job hops between Engineering Apprentice, Surgeon and Chef/Bartender.

This is not Sol, this is not Bay, we do not like Sol soldiers in tau ceti, you people OCCUPIED the territory and sol veterans are being regularly deported.

Giving this a big -1

I suppose I'm not one to talk about Sol uniforms, but, I'll throw my two cents in.

Combat fatigues are a no-no. The absolute most you could get away with is a dress uniform of some sort, and wearing that in even a semi-common manner would be in the event you were a Visitor class (No military allows their uniform to be used to support a corporate/private party, such as by working for one while in uniform) and if you got authorized by the Ministry of War to wear the uniform on the Aurora as a specific 'exceptional circumstance' (Unlikely if you weren't some kind of senior NCO or CO, and served at least 2 tours (Eight years).

Combat fatigues, are never acceptable for wear outside of combat. You'd have to be active duty, and deployed to a warzone or duty post. Otherwise, you'd wear a service uniform. Retired or non-active, and you wouldn't even own anything besides a dress uniform.

Not even to mention the contention surrounding Solarian troops in Biesel. They're hated. Halstere's uniform was controversial enough, with all the restrictions kept in mind, and he's only wearing a dress uniform. You might want to adjust your application accordingly if you want any hope of it passing, because it's more than just the nod of the staff at that point, it's whether or not the item is realistic to have. I won't lean either way in terms of support, though, yet.

I'm terribly sorry, but I'll give this a -1.

The reason being is that you've never once mentioned Kunta X being solarian, or implied it besides having the Home System set to Jamaica, not even set to Sol. You've never implied Kunta's backstory of being in the Sol Navy, never said much about his backstory at all, even. From all my interactions with Kunta X, all I've seen is... an unbelievable flat character with no experience, no depth, no backstory or anything that hints of one.

And it seems more that you're simply applying for the aesthetics rather than a more in-depth consideration of Kunta X's character (or lack of thereof). Additionally, I'm pretty sure you can't change the standard jumpsuit/uniform in Nanotrasen unless you're a visitor.

Human lore dev here. You absolutely wouldn't be allowed to wear sol navy military fatigues on station. Think smaller and less bombastic. A Sol Navy cap would be ok and it would serve the same purpose: Show your characters loyalties, be identifiable and be a conversation starter.

-1 on fatigues for the same reasons as Zundy had stated.

While this isn't a player/character complaint, I am honestly surprised that you made a item request for a character that I always thought was a joke character. If Kunta X is a character you actually like to play and want to develop, this is long awaited as he has always seemed to me to just be a flat stereotype.

A cap like the linked one would probably be work appropriate.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-89988323165017/navy-custom-hats-1.gif

@@Azande

You dont gotta insult Kunta like that. I don't think his is a terrible character.

1. He job hops, always has and continues to do so, and has shoddy records (if any at all now)

2. He regularly is rude to his supervisors, including IAA (outright insulting IAAs for no reason)

3. He ALWAYS wears his sterile gloves, and surgery apron and scrubs EVERYWHERE. When he's eating, when he's at the bar, walking in the hall, the holodeck, he NEVER takes them off, AND he wears a cowboy hat the entire time too, it's ridiculous at this point.

4. No.

I agree wih Xander. You are clearly only interested in the aesthetic of the uniform rather than expanding on the character. He's never even hinted towards having prior served in the Navy- but even so, what was his occupation then? Was he a surgeon? A cook? You need to ground the character. On another note, his flavour text gives him an illustrious title akin to what I assume is done to members in the Nation of Islam. I don't get that. Flavour text is for describing the physical appearance of the character.

[mention]Azande[/mention]

1. Tf, people job hop too and its nothing like from me going to HOS to CMO, or from janitor to officer, a surgeon could have a slight passion in the culinary arts. You think actual surgeons and doctors think about medicine 24/7? They actually have other hobbies like any other normal human being. And that one time of Kunta being an engineering ////////apprentice//////// is because he was thinking about trying out a new career field and he ///stated/// that he does not like engineering so he plans on not touch that anymore or any other major fields like science or security, etc.

2. Kunta is Kunta, he is argumentative, everyone knows this, everyone knows that Kunta just doesnt take shit sometimes and if he gets in trouble, he is willing to get in trouble, but that is just him. He is his ////own//// character, isnt this what its all about? being your own character? your own person? Idk if you go out a lot but some people are like that, some people are just argumentative, they cant help it. Kunta is the type of person where if you show no type of manners or respect, no matter how high of position you think you are, he will shut that down because he knows that he is human and deserves a level of respect and manner. Just like he gives respect and manners to people.

3. Yeah, Kunta wears his sterile gloves and apron and scrubs wherever because he always at work. And Kunta sees that other people do it too, so whats the big deal about him doing it? And Kunta loves cowboy hats, he wears them cause he likes them, but I dont know if you have noticed lately but he hasnt been wearing that hat anymore. And doctors and surgeons can have fun, a damn cowboy hat isn't going to fall off and land in your uterus Kunta is doing surgery on you ,you're acting like Kunta is a griefer or some shit.

4. I think if I am staying within the guidelines of the rules, there is really no point of calling my character bad. I've gotten a few compliments about Kunta. But hey, to each is own.

@Azande

1. Tf, people job hop too and its nothing like from me going to HOS to CMO, or from janitor to officer, a surgeon could have a slight passion in the culinary arts. You think actual surgeons and doctors think about medicine 24/7? They actually have other hobbies like any other normal human being. And that one time of Kunta being an engineering ////////apprentice//////// is because he was thinking about trying out a new career field and he ///stated/// that he does not like engineering so he plans on not touch that anymore or any other major fields like science or security, etc.

2. Kunta is Kunta, he is argumentative, everyone knows this, everyone knows that Kunta just doesnt take shit sometimes and if he gets in trouble, he is willing to get in trouble, but that is just him. He is his ////own//// character, isnt this what its all about? being your own character? your own person? Idk if you go out a lot but some people are like that, some people are just argumentative, they cant help it. Kunta is the type of person where if you show no type of manners or respect, no matter how high of position you think you are, he will shut that down because he knows that he is human and deserves a level of respect and manner. Just like he gives respect and manners to people.

3. Yeah, Kunta wears his sterile gloves and apron and scrubs wherever because he always at work. And Kunta sees that other people do it too, so whats the big deal about him doing it? And Kunta loves cowboy hats, he wears them cause he likes them, but I dont know if you have noticed lately but he hasnt been wearing that hat anymore. And doctors and surgeons can have fun, a damn cowboy hat isn't going to fall off and land in your uterus Kunta is doing surgery on you ,you're acting like Kunta is a griefer or some shit.

4. I think if I am staying within the guidelines of the rules, there is really no point of calling my character bad. I've gotten a few compliments about Kunta. But hey, to each is own.

Ignoring Azande's slightly mean way of saying his points.

1. Job hopping isn't something that should be encouraged. You're right that some people do it, but from an IC perspective, it's very rare to have a good reason for it. A surgeon may well enjoy cooking, but after spending so long to get a diploma, why would they downgrade to a chef being paid a tiny fraction of what they were previously earning? Jobhopping is allowed, sure, but should by no means be encouraged.

2. Cuntish characters are fine. If anything, they can be some of the most interesting characters because they can provoke limited conflict. But you need to consider the realism in a workplace. People act differently between being at work and in the public. You can't afford to be an asshole at your work, at least not directly. Refusing orders from your boss will get you fired. Insulting your boss will get you fired. If you want to make an asshole character, be more sly or sideways about it. Your character went through years of medical school - they're going to be smart, and they're going to want to keep a job.

3. Wearing sterile gloves and an apron at all times defeats the point of wearing them. The surgical apron is there to keep blood off while operating, the sterile gloves are there to keep infections from the outside world getting into the patient. Wearing gloves in the outside world removes any reason whatsoever for wearing them.

Also, do you really wear a cowboy hat while doing surgery? I don't mean to insult you, but of course that's bad. Hair will fall in. Infection will travel in.

This isn't just Azande saying 'I DO NOT LIKE KUNTA X, NO CUSTOM ITEMS 4 U'. This is him saying he doesn't believe it would be used for roleplay value.

People would be more willing to accept this custom item if they believed that you were interested in using it for roleplay. If there was a single person on this thread that had known of Kunta X's Sol Military past, I'd be more willing to accept a cap or something smaller. But showing that you have little interest in realistic roleplay, and using this to promote something you seemingly rarely if ever promote without it, really does build up to having practically no reason that it would be given to you. The fact you tried to get fatigues solidifies this a bit further, of being style over substance.

Again, don't take this as an insulting post, that's really not what I want. You're probably a cool dude. But this item won't be used for roleplay if it's given at current. -1

To finish:

you're acting like Kunta is a griefer or some shit.

I think this perfectly shows the issue. Griefer is an OOC term being applied to an IC person. You're not a griefer. But you seem to have very little seperation between IC and OOC. You look at the mechanics (see: cowboy hats, sterile gloves) and the fact that you can't get fired for anything less than incredibly drastic actions, and it shows in your gameplay.

Ornias did a good job of summarizing my points but did so nicer. Not everyone deserves to be spoken to nicely. Tough love is important. Address those concerns and build yourself a character worthy of having custom items to reinforce their backstory.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Constructive criticism is not the same as being a jerk. "tough love"??? you're not their dad, Xander.

Anyway,

Combat fatigues are too much to wear on station. They were available to Sol Officers during our event where Sol occupied the station. They are active duty dress and don't have a place on the station. Imagine wearing North Korean COMBAT fatigues to work in Seoul. If you applied with a DRESS uniform the conversation could be different, because personally I've been swayed to enjoy the unspoken imperialist arrogance of wearing ceremonial Alliance military dress on the station.

• 2 weeks later...