Captain Sabre/Laser Thread

Since I made this request here, almost three weeks ago I think I can post my opinion here:

I also made the suggestion to basically make it decoration only (and it being well known for everyone, that it is, in fact, not a real weapon), I don't see how suddenly here the "but he is not allowed to" rule can be applied. Then I could say - no officer should wear a vest on green - since, trust me, they are incredibly uncomfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time. I know this was discussed a page earlier but I just want to emphasize it again. The decorative wall holder looks also nice, better than to kick in your display case and abuse an incredibly valuable antique laser gun, if you need a backup weapon. Also, of course the Captain is an officer, military or not, what the heck?

Edited by KingOfThePing

Hi. I can't believe there's this much fussing over a captain having a sword.

It has some nice flavor and allows the captain to walk around not looking completely defenseless without actually carrying a laser beam that they're not allowed to have out except on Code Red/Blue.

Just let them have the sword. It's really not as big of a mountain as you're making out of the molehill. 

If you're concerned about a permit, just give them a nospecial round start permit like the bartender gets for their shotgun only not quite so limited to one location. 

It is really not uncommon for a leader to carry a ceremonial blade. You don't even have to be military for this. Or have your character know how use the sword. I know for a fact that my captain if they wore it would just be wearing it as a deterrence. She would have no idea how to engage in sword fighting.  Random antag Urist McTraitor has no idea if they know how to use the sword, so they are less likely to impulsively pull a knife on the captain.

Edited by Kaed

2 hours ago, Kaed said:

It is really not uncommon for a leader to carry a ceremonial blade. You don't even have to be military for this. Or have your character know how use the sword. I know for a fact that my captain if they wore it would just be wearing it as a deterrence. She would have no idea how to engage in sword fighting. 

1. regarding the leaders thing, this is mostly just true for third world countries and/or dictators, and a Corporate Captain is neither

2. In regards to sword knowledge, this brings up another point. Why would NT teach their Captain swordfighting when a gun is far safer and practical? 

10 minutes ago, ben10083 said:

1. regarding the leaders thing, this is mostly just true for third world countries and/or dictators, and a Corporate Captain is neither

2. In regards to sword knowledge, this brings up another point. Why would NT teach their Captain swordfighting when a gun is far safer and practical? 

This is kind of a pointless quibble. Swords on leaders for ceremony is traditional.  The fact that today, it's mostly in third world countries is completely irrelevant to the point.  Having a sword in no way represents that you are a dictator, that is just a modern trend.  We can make up whatever trends we want in the sci-fi future.

As for the sword training, I never suggested, nor do I think anyone else did, that captains should all know how to use a sword.  The point is they have access to one, and license to carry it around for ceremonial purposes. If they want to abuse it to be a bushido master 4noraisin, ahelp them.

Edited by Kaed
  • 4 weeks later...