Engineers Spawn with Impact Wrench instead of Screwdriver and Wrench

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

The impact wrench is both a screwdriver and wrench depending on how you enable it. It will free up a slot in the equipment belt. Also it makes a cool "vroom!" noise when you do lots of stuff which makes me feel like a real engineer.

The impact wrench isn't able to do a few select thingsĀ probably due to shitty code with tools but I haven't looked. So unfortunately screwdrivers and wrenches are still needed. The Tesla engine parts come to mind as an example of something that does not recognize the impact wrench at all.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
34 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

Kinda against it. It makes wrenches and screwdrivers pointless.

You can get it in the machine. It is easily available. I want us to spawn with it because its cooler and people tend to use whats already in their belts. I didnt even know we had them.

7 hours ago, Wildkins said:

AFAIK all outstanding bugs (except mech construction) were fixed with impact wrenches a while ago, and looking at the code for tesla parts I can't see where it'd necessarily be going wrong

Would be news to me, I haven't played Engineer in a month, so perhaps it got fixed. Previously the engine parts did not interact with it at all. No error message, nothing. Readying up igniters and such also did not work last I tried it.

4 hours ago, Alberyk said:

Kinda against it. It makes wrenches and screwdrivers pointless.

It's already widely available. I don't see why wrenches and screwdrivers being pointless is necessarily bad, but as a non-engineer I almost always use screwdrivers instead, so I would hardly call them useless, just not useful for engineers. We used to spawn with all three tools, and it was hardly an issue then.

4 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

Make us spawn with them too please.

NOW

Do you play any engineering role other than atmos tech? Because Station Engineer and all of it's alt-titles, spawn with the impact as well as the normal wrench and screwdriver. As does the CE. Perhaps the issue then is with atmos techs getting it at spawn.

Edit: confirmed atmos tech does not get one. Unsure if this is intended or not.

Edited by Xelnagahunter
info confirmed.

I always spawnĀ with an impact wrench and tools, so if some engineering roles don't have them (Atmos tech?) it should just be added and it would make sense as they also do some construction works to patch the holes before pressurizing rooms too.Ā 

Personally I still often use the screwdriver just because the impact gun sounds is agressive. I also prefer to have the option to throw something away more than having to fetch basic tools.

Edited by Screemers
  • ferner locked this topic