Coder Application - Doxxmedearly

Ckey/BYOND Username: Doxxmedearly

Discord Name:  Eels! The Musical#9351

Position Being Applied For: Coder

Past Experiences/Knowledge: Dreammaker is my first foray into coding, started in 10/2019.

Examples of Past Work:

Aurora PRs

Notably:

Hallucinations overhaul (Still in the works, final testing soon)

Tea/drinks update

Simple animals update (They don’t hunt for food or eat like black holes + you can brush them)

Space A/C QoL changes

About a dozen bugfixes and about the same amount of other small additions (Wallets holding rings, crayon updates, curtain/flap construction, etc.)

Additional Comments: There’s a few things working against me here: I’m obviously very new to DM and coding in general, and there’s many gaps in my knowledge. Git is still a terrifying entity to me, even if I’ve mostly got a handle on it. I’ve never worked on a dev team or coded group projects, so that will be an adjustment. Some terminology thrown around baffles me and I'm always asking Geeves and Matt for help. 

However, I feel that I’ve been able to learn quickly, taking on larger projects such as the hallucinations redo in a relatively short time. I feel like that PR in specific highlights that I’m not afraid to ask for help from those more experienced to guide me in the right direction and am receptive to them pointing out my mistakes. I don't depend on others to fix my bugs. I try to help other contributors where I can with easier projects, through advice or code reviews. I’m pretty active both in the community and on git. So while I’m still getting used to things like coding stylistic standards, avoiding spaghetti, and am unfamiliar with many parts of DM, I feel that being part of the dev team would both allow me to improve my own skills and further my ability to do fixes and add features for Aurora.

I've seen Doxx actively working on a lot of things, and they seem quite invested in the work that they do. That aside, they're also a really nice and amicable person OOC, and our team could only benefit from them being on it too. Absolutely has my support, 100%.

• 3 months later...